Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That…

Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You…

by Shauna James Ahern

A delightful memoir of learning to eat superbly while remaining gluten free. --Newsweek magazine ""Give yourself a treat! Gluten-Free Girl offers delectable tips on dining and living with zest-gluten-free. This is a story for anyone who is interested in changing his or her life from the inside out!"" --Alice Bast, executive director National Foundation for Celiac Awareness ""Shauna's food, the ignition of healthy with delicious, explodes with flavor--proof positive that people who choose to eat gluten-free can do it with passion, perfection, and power."" --John La Puma, MD, New York Times bestselling co-author of The RealAge Diet and Cooking the RealAge Way ""A breakthrough first book by a gifted writer not at all what I expected from a story about living with celiac disease. Foodies everywhere will love this book. Celiacs will make it their bible."" --Linda Carucci, author of Cooking School Secrets for Real World Cooks and IACP Cooking Teacher of the Year, 2002 An entire generation was raised to believe that cooking meant opening a box, ripping off the plastic wrap, adding water, or popping it in the microwave. Gluten-Free Girl, with its gluten-free healthful approach, seeks to bring a love of eating back to our diets. Living gluten-free means having to give up traditional bread, beer, pasta, as well as the foods where gluten likes to hide--such as store-bought ice cream, chocolate bars, even nuts that might have been dusted with flour. However, Gluten-Free Girl shows readers how to say yes to the foods they can eat. Written by award-winning blogger Shauna James, who became a interested in food once she was diagnosed with celiac disease and went gluten-free, Gluten-Free Girl is filled with funny accounts of the author's own life including wholesome, delicious recipes, this book will guide readers to the simple pleasures of real, healthful food. Includes dozens of recipes like salmon with blackberry sauce, sorghum bread, and lemon olive oil cookies as well as resources for those living gluten-free.… (more)

If you -- even in passing -- find some enjoyment in reading Ahern's blog, you will probably love this book. I didn't read all of it. In fact, I skimmed most of it; but it reads just like her blog. Also, I'm spoiled for glorious photos of scrumptious food...and there are none in the book. There were a few recipes I'd been willing to try. ( )
  lesmel | May 21, 2013 |
The author does a great job remembering what it was like to grow up in the U.S. in the '70s and the kinds of foods we were raised on. Her celiac diagnosis changes her life and this book reads like a road trip into her budding and then fully blossoming interest in food. ( )
  mjennings26 | Apr 3, 2013 |
People keep trying to loan me this book. I wish they would stop. I also have celiac disease, and lean towards sounding like a newly converted missionary at times, and like many other people with the disease, I spend a lot of time stewing over the terrible foods I ate in my benighted ignorance, and the horrible ramifications my diet had for my health. Seriously - I lived on those cans of fried mock duck chunks you find at Asian markets (wheat gluten fried in wheat sauce), noodles, and beer. It's no wonder my body gave up on the stuff, probably out of fear and despair. But Ahern out-stews me, easily. You'd think she'd suffered more than anyone ever, and she blames her mom for most of it. I felt really bad for her poor mom, probably just doing her best, feeding her what in retrospect was a bad array of wheaty foods, but no different from what most people eat. It's seriously uncomfortable to read.
Blame slinging and navel gazing aside, the food writing is too twee for my taste, all misty rapture and preciousness. If you enjoy Thomas Kincade paintings or Christian television, this is the food writing for you.
  paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |
Yes, she uses expensive ingredients but part of her point is that if you're going to have to make a move from food that could kill you to more complex foods you might as well treat yourself well. That rebuilding the relationship between you and food may be more complex than you think and that you should treat yourself to the best because less than best can be adulterated with wheat which can lead you back down the path of pain and illness.

I am myself someone who has had to rethink my relationship with food. I had to give up gluten before I could get a firm diagnosis but any gluten in food makes me quite ill. This led for a while to an almost avoidance of food on my part, which was almost as unhealthy as the food issues themselves. I haven't quite got around to fully fixing my relationship with food but I'm getting better. It's people like her who help and reassure me that I'm not completly crazy. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 29, 2010 |
This book is a must read for anyone diagnosed with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. It helped me come to terms with my diet, as well as made me want to get back into the kitchen. Her amazing descriptions of cooking and food are drool-worthy!
  LilyGrace | Feb 25, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,544,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible