Cash: The Autobiography by Johnny Cash

Cash: The Autobiography (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Johnny Cash

Member:booksandwine
Title:Cash: The Autobiography
Authors:Johnny Cash
Info:HarperOne (2003), Paperback, 320 pages

Cash by Johnny Cash (1997)

I am glad I read this book, however, if it were anybody but Johnny Cash I would not have finished it. Too syrupy and religious for me. But I learned a lot about the man, his family, his friends, and his beliefs and I think I am better for it. ( )
  MSarki | Mar 31, 2013 |
Facinating insight into the life of a legandary country singer. The one and only Johnny Cash. ( )
  debrarbell | May 6, 2012 |
The man has done it all. I love how it meanders and wanders from decade to decade, story to story. Bringing up one person, leads him to remembering stories about 3 others. It just flows like one long conversation, a conversation that i wish i could have been apart of. But after reading this, feeling i have a better understanding of the Man in Black. ( )
  bigcastoro | Dec 5, 2009 |
Johnny Cash's story is thoroughly enjoyable. Instead of it being entirely about glorifying his musical career, you get a very personal glimpse into the his personal life detailing his family and those–within the music world and outside–who've helped him out along the way. A portrait is painted of his upbringing in the rural south, his search for meaning, a detour to the dark side, and ultimately getting in touch with himself and the earth. Very well-written and entirely worth it as this is one of the best autobiographies around. ( )
  vandaleyes | Oct 11, 2009 |
I enjoyed this book. He writes in a very relaxed, conversational tone. He tells truth as he sees it without it seeming as if he is gossipping. In fact, he tells most stories about himself. He is frank and open about his wrongful trek into drug abuse. He is also open about his faith in Jesus Christ as Saviour. I really like that. I hope to meet him, one day, in Heaven. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Sep 25, 2009 |

Johnny Cashprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carr, PatrickAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To John Carter Cash. The Gift. You have it. Never forget.
My line comes down from Queen Ada, the sister of Malcolm IV, descended from King Duff, the first king of Scotland.

He was the "Man in Black," a country music legend, and the quintessential American troubadour. He was an icon of rugged individualism who had been to hell and back, telling the tale as never before. In his unforgettable autobiography, Johnny Cash tells the truth about the highs and lows, the struggles and hard-won triumphs, and the people who shaped him.

In his own words, Cash set the record straight -- and dispelled a few myths -- as he looked unsparingly at his remarkable life: from the joys of his boyhood in Dyess, Arkansas to superstardom in Nashville, Tennessee, the road of Cash's life has been anything but smooth. Cash writes of the thrill of playing with Elvis, the comfort of praying with Billy Graham; of his battles with addiction and of the devotion of his wife, June; of his gratitude for life, and of his thoughts on what the afterlife may bring. Here, too, are the friends of a lifetime, including Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, and Kris Kristofferson. As powerful and memorable as one of his classic songs, Cash is filled with the candor, wit, and wisdom of a man who truly "walked the line."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:22 -0400)

The country singer looks back over his life from his childhood on an Arkansas cotton farm, to his battle with drugs, to his myriad musical successes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,127,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible