Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner

Say Goodbye (edition 2009)

by Lisa Gardner

Member:kleehart1
Title:Say Goodbye
Authors:Lisa Gardner
Info:Bantam (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Tags:Suspense

Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner

Recently this author has been filling my trashy thriller habit, but it’s really been hit or miss. Some of her books I devour and others I can’t even finish. This one was quite compelling though and I managed to pick out what makes a thriller successful for me - a lot of close, but hidden connections. I love it when 2 people or events that have nothing to do with each other on the surface turn out to be joined at the hip. This book has tons of that and it was the connection to a book in another series that got me to read it, despite the others in this series being unreadable. That said, I knew going in what would ultimately happen to Dinchara.

It was a great trip leading up to it though. The romance was turned down, WAY down, which is part of what made some of the other books unbearable for me. Also Kimberly has grown up and stopped being a hot-headed, irresponsible idiot. That helped, too. I didn’t really like the constant reminders of her pregnant state - her baby this and her baby that, but it was done in a way that was less sentimental than it could have been. I skimmed some of it when it got too much though.

Spoilers, dude!

A lot of people ‘s reviews say they were confused by the number of characters called ‘boy’ and I admit at first I did a double take when the timeline seemed jangled. Then it snapped into place and I got it. One of the boys became Dinchara - the one captured by the Burgerman. When he killed his tormenter I was thrown again. Didn’t the character from The Neighbor kill the Burgerman? Then as the story progressed it became clear that Dinchara styled himself Burgerman, too. He had two boys under his control; one coming up to speed and one in need of ‘graduation’. The older was the one calling Kimberly and the younger was the one visiting Rita.

But the most interesting character for me was Ginny. Complete wildcard; a liar and a darn good manipulator. So often in these books, a character like her is blameless and trying to get away from her captor. Not so in this. When she showed up on Rita’s doorstep with the cat, it was tense. Her attitude in the very beginning scene should have clued me in to how twisted she was in her own right. That and not leaving for 2 years when she had ample opportunity. Ah anyway, it isn’t deep, literary fiction, but this one was fun and satisfying in the end. I think I’m going to give myself a break with them though. ( )
  Bookmarque | Feb 23, 2015 |
great ( )
  Mamajeanne | Aug 23, 2013 |
Reads like the last of the Quincy/Rainie/Kimberly books. If so, not the best end; but certainly not the worst. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 3, 2013 |
A boy is abducted and suffers sexual, physical and mental abuse over a number of years. After killing his abductor, he in turn abducts boys and becomes a serial killer of female prostitutes. ( )
  TonySandel2 | Feb 11, 2013 |
creepy! ( )
  kellymeg | May 3, 2011 |
He was moaning, a guttural sound in the back of his throat as his fingers tightened their grip in her hair.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588095, Mass Market Paperback)

Come into my parlor . . . For FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy it starts with a pregnant hooker. The story Delilah Rose tells Kimberly is too horrifying to be true. But prostitutes are disappearing, leaving behind no bodies and no explanations—except one only Kimberly, herself four months pregnant, is willing to believe. Could a sadist be hunting the streets for vulnerable young girls and using spiders to do his dirty work? Said the spider to the fly. . . . Either a serial killer has found the key to the perfect murder or Kimberly is following clues to a crime that never happened. In fact, Kimberly’s caught in a web more lethal than any spider’s, and the more she fights for answers, the more tightly she’s trapped. She’s already close—too close—to a psychopath who makes women’s nightmares come alive. And like her mother and sister before her, both victims of a serial killer, it won’t be long before it’s Kimberly’s time to say goodbye with her dying breath. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:57 -0400)

Pregnant teenager Delilah Rose enlists the assistance of FBI agent Kimberly Quincy to investigate the disappearances of young women whom no one else will notice are gone, including runaways, high-risk teens, and prostitutes.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,717,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible