A Skating Life: My Story by Dorothy Hamill

A Skating Life: My Story

by Dorothy Hamill

As a figure skating fan I found this autobiography of Dorothy Hamel to be very interesting. I never knew that Vera Wang had competed in figure skating in the 60s. I had not been aware that Dorothy had been married to Dean Martin's son. I also learned about the depression that runs through her family. ( )
  LittleRed1966 | Feb 13, 2010 |
The worst book I've read in years.

I grew up loving Hamill, wanting to be a competitive skater as a kid. So I gravitated toward this book quite naturally. The writing is attrocious and Hamill breaks the cardinal rule of memoir. It doesn't sound authentic, it's market spin. The book is as neat and tidy as her classic hairdo. All of it too perfect and not a bit of it is interesting.

Not one single nugget worth reading here. Skip it.
  ilovebooksdlk | May 17, 2009 |
A fascinating portrait of someone I knew very little about. A good addition to any figure skating library. ( )
  odurant | Nov 12, 2007 |

The dazzling smile, the signature haircut, the staple spin. Dorothy Hamill grew up on the ice, working toward the dream she was to accomplish by age nineteen: Olympic gold in figure skating. But life was not the picture of perfection it appeared to be. Dorothy faced a painful inner struggle--though she did not know about the depression that ran in her family until much later in life. Weeks and months away from home to train and compete took a difficult toll, yet little reprieve could be found in her tumultuous and fragile relationship with her parents. She went on to skate with the Ice Capades and to marry the man of her dreams, Dean Paul Martin, only to have the partnership end in heartache. A second failed marriage tested Dorothy's trust yet again, but she found strength in what she did have--her daughter Alexandra, and her skating.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,005,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible