Print Is Dead: Books in Our Digital Age by…

Print Is Dead: Books in Our Digital Age (edition 2009)

by Jeff Gomez

Member:adammulvey
Title:Print Is Dead: Books in Our Digital Age
Authors:Jeff Gomez
Info:Palgrave Macmillan (2009), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages

Print Is Dead: Books in our Digital Age by Jeff Gomez

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
I am prejudiced to reading anything when it comes to print going out of print, but an open mind I try to keep as it comes to technology and our precarious future. I found this book to be well put together, and it did explain in the past, there were times when print fell into disarray, only to return at various times-stronger. I highly recommend this book for those with interest in the publishing world and an open mind to accept what's to come. ( )
  lighten51 | Sep 21, 2012 |
Jeff Gomez takes on a rather academic subject in a manner that is refreshing, avoiding the serious stuffy tones that often goes along with such publications. A quick read, as I was able to work through it in only a couple hours time at the university library.

However, I must say this book suffers from some very sloppy editing. I noted typos, errors in the works cited pages, as well as a reference at the end of the book to the first section of Print is Dead with a title which I assume was the section's working title. Perhaps this was corrected on later editions, however... ( )
  francophoney | Mar 21, 2010 |
Despite an intemperate opening chapter where the author vents some personal issues with people who, rather than embrace the ebook revolution, are simply content to "hug novels on bay windows on autumn days", this at times polemical work nonetheless settles down into a mostly sensible argument for a mostly digital future.
I say mostly digital because the weakest part of Jeff Gomez's argument is that he does not tackle the full range of print culture whose demise he is predicting. He also underestimates the sheer wonderful irrationality of those of us who appreciate printed books not only for their content (which cannot be deleted, mashed up or changed) but for the tactile and other pleasures they bring by virtue of them being bound paper objects.
I think the most important message in this book is not for readers (who, let's face it, can do what they want when it comes to choosing how they consume text), but for publishers of content, especially traditional book publishers. By all means give the public printed books if that's what they want, but realise that most information these days is on networks and in digital form. See this as an opportunity. Expand the possibilities of how stories are told, sold and exchanged.
Print is not be the medium of choice anymore. Maybe it is dead, or dying. But I still buy, borrow and read books. And put them on LibraryThing, a tool of Web 2.0 that, if anything, only stimulates the culture of acquiring printed books. Ironic. ( )
2 vote blackjacket | Jul 11, 2009 |

For over 1500 years books have weathered numerous cultural changes remarkably unaltered. Through wars, paper shortages, radio, TV, computer games, and fluctuating literacy rates, the bound stack of printed paper has, somewhat bizarrely, remained the more robust and culturally relevant way to communicate ideas. Now, for the first time since the Middle Ages, all that is about to change.

Newspapers are struggling for readers and relevance; downloadable music has consigned the album to the format scrap heap, and the digital revolution is now about to leave books on the high shelf of history. In Print Is Dead, Gomez explains how authors, producers, distributors, and readers must not only acknowledge these changes, but drive digital book creation, standards, storage, and delivery as the first truly transformational thing to happen in the world of words since the printing press.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:06 -0400)

Contends that printed books will be replaced by digital books and that book distributors and readers should actively support the transformation by encouraging digital book creation and the standards required for storage and delivery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible