Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny

Nine Princes in Amber (original 1970; edition 1970)

by Roger Zelazny (Author)

2,698663,239 (3.99)3 / 136
Member:JaeKamel
Title:Nine Princes in Amber
Authors:Roger Zelazny (Author)
Info:Doubleday (1970)

Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny (1970)

Recently added byRon18, cjbanning, rena75, private library, thindor, donaldmorgan, HeretiCorp
    The Well-Favored Man by Elizabeth Willey (saturnine13, aqualectrix)
    saturnine13: Similar in that they both feature many different interconnected worlds, family drama, and first person perspective.
    Lyonesse by Jack Vance (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: another modern telling of fairy tales, Amber and Lyonnesse have quite a bit in common and may appeal the same readers.
    The Maker of Universes by Philip José Farmer (Amtep)
    Amtep: Those who are fascinated by the Amber universe may find the seeds of many of its ideas in Farmer's Maker of Universes and the other World of Tiers books.
    WebMage by Kelly McCullough (aqualectrix)
    aqualectrix: McCullough's world of cyberpunk-magic has a very similar feel to Zelazny's Amber series.
    The Dark World by Henry Kuttner (bluetyson)
    bluetyson: Also the rest of the five Corwin books by Zelazny, especially The Guns Of Avalon.
    The Illustrated Roger Zelazny by Roger Zelazny (LadyDarbanville)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (Frozeninja)
    Roger Zelazny's The Dawn of Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    To Rule in Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    Chaos and Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.

English (62)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (66)
I really enjoyed Nine Princes in Amber!
There were things that struck me as really unpolished and inconsistent, and that kind of thing often bothers me - but the brevity and gung-ho charging forward neutralized that for me, somehow. I don't know the history and background of the writing of this series - but it feels an awful lot like a dreamlike stream of consciousness experiment. It feels under-edited, and like something chucked down just to get it out... and yet, it works really well. It's like fantasy novel improv.
I'm glad that the amnesia didn't last any longer than it felt fresh, that everything seemed tempered to an audience that Zelazny was sensitive to, with regards to their attention span and intelligence.
Looking forward to more in the series, I imagine they only get better. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
I read the Amber books in high school--thirty years ago-and have just reread them to see if they still hold up. I can understand why I loved them so much as a 10th-grader: there's plenty of action, the narrator is an often-ironic tough guy, and the plot (involving alternate realities and Machiavellian characters) is just complicated enough to make someone keep reading. I even had the two-volume edition of the first five books from the Science Fiction Book Club. (That's how cool I was.) They hold up just fine, and while I remember some of the big surprises, I had forgotten how much work Zelazny had to do to pull them off.

I've also come to appreciate the lack of explanation Zelazny provides and even some of the aspects of the books about which other Goodreads users complain. There's no glossary to explain a bunch of esoteric terms, there's no map of Amber, and there's no family trees that the reader needs to continually consult. Zelazny never really explains how the alternate realities "work" (other than that those of the royal family can manipulate them) or why so many members of the family don't simply create alternate worlds where they have all they could ever desire (other than the notion that the royals want Amber because it's more meaningful to them). Zelazny also has a light touch: he never takes himself as seriously as countless other writers of fantasy: no bad poetry or songs sung by Elves. So while these books are not Great Literature, they are enjoyable and have held up, at least for me. Robertson Davies says somewhere that we should read all the great books as teenagers, as middle-aged adults, and as old folks. Rereading books that I loved as a high school sophomore is enjoyable because doing so reminded me of the times when I read purely to find out what happened next. I enjoy reading more now because I understand language more deeply, but there's something to be said for the pleasure of raw plotting and escapism. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
What the crap did I just read. . . ( )
  mspoet569 | Aug 18, 2018 |
Een man ontwaakt in het ziekenhuis. Hij heeft ernstig geheugenverlies. Het enige wat hij wil is wegkomen uit het ziekenhuis, waar hij iedere keer als hij bij komt weer verdooft wordt. Maar niet deze keer.

Hij ontsnapt naar het huis van zijn zuster ...

Het begin van een 10-delige serie. ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
Shockingly bad recording of a cliche ridden fantasy adventure. The writing was awful and you really don't care one way or another about the characters. The author himself reads the book, which isn't quite the kiss of death it sometimes is, but unfortunately the spoken voice is accompanied by the worst kind of sound effects with the world's lowest production values. Will not be listening to any more in the series. ( )
  Matt_B | Oct 26, 2017 |
Corwin verliest na een auto-ongeluk zijn geheugen en probeert beetje bij beetje zijn herinnering terug te winnen. Hij komt erachter dat hij acht broers en zussen heeft en dat zij prinsen zijn die strijden om de troon van Amber. Amber is een volmaakt koninkrijk dat slechts door de negen prinsen via een geestestoestand bereikt kan worden. De aarde en de vele andere parallelle werelden zijn slechts Schaduwen van Amber. Corwin verzamelt een leger om te voorkomen dat zijn broer Eric de troon bestijgt (deel 1). Corwin verliest en vervloekt zijn broer. Deze vervloeking bedreigt Amber als demonen van Chaos het koninkrijk binnenvallen. Corwin is genoodzaakt samen met Eric te strijden tegen deze Schaduwdemonen (deel 2). Als Corwin eenmaal heerser is, vindt hij via veel omwegen de legendarische eenhoorn (deel 3). Hoewel Zelazny veel heeft gepubliceerd, ligt zijn bloeiperiode toch in de late jaren zestig en de vroege jaren zeventig met de Amber-serie als hoogtepunt. Een SF-klassieker die gelezen moet worden. Normale druk.
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Zelazny, Rogerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edwards, Amelia S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juliani, AlessandroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was starting to end, after what seemed most of eternity to me.

Nine Princes in Amber is the first of the 10 books that are The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

The Audible audio rendition of this classic sci-fi/fantasy series is kicked off by 2012 Audie Award nominee, Alessandro Juliani, who reads the first five books that make up the Corwin Cycle and whose narration vividly brings the world of Amber to life.

Amber is the one real world, of which all others including our own Earth are but Shadows. Amber burns in Corwin's blood. Exiled on Shadow Earth for centuries, the prince is about to return to Amber to make a mad and desperate rush upon the throne.

From Arden to the Pattern deep in Castle Amber which defines the very structure of Reality, Corwin must contend with the powers of his eight immortal brothers, all Princes of Amber. His savage path is blocked and guarded by eerie structures beyond imagining impossible realities forged by demonic assassins and staggering Forces that challenge the might of Corwin's superhuman fury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380014300, Mass Market Paperback)

Awakening in an Earth hospital unable to remember who he is or where he came from, Corwin is amazed to learn that he is one of the sons of Oberon, King of Amber, and is the rightful successor to the crown in a parallel world. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:21 -0400)

Amber burns in Corwin's blood. Exiled on Shadow Earth for centuries, the prince is about to return to Amber to make a mad and desperate rush upon the throne. From Arden to the blood-slippery Stairway into the Sea, the air is electrified with the powers of Eric, Random, Bleys, Caine and all the princes of Amber whom Corwin must overcome. Yet his savage path is blocked and guarded by eerie structures beyond imaging--impossible realities forged by demonic assassins and staggering horrors to challenge the might of Corwin's super-human fury.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,466,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible