Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes…

Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes de Ambar) (original 1970; edition 1989)

by Roger Zelazny

2,079493,188 (4.01)2 / 109
Member:Orphu_de_Io
Title:Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes de Ambar)
Authors:Roger Zelazny
Info:ORBIT (1989), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Iliad, Español, Your library
Tags:ambar

Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny (1970)

The Well-Favored Man by Elizabeth Willey (saturnine13, aqualectrix)
    saturnine13: Similar in that they both feature many different interconnected worlds, family drama, and first person perspective.
    Lyonesse by Jack Vance (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: another modern telling of fairy tales, Amber and Lyonnesse have quite a bit in common and may appeal the same readers.
    The Maker of Universes by Philip José Farmer (Amtep)
    Amtep: Those who are fascinated by the Amber universe may find the seeds of many of its ideas in Farmer's Maker of Universes and the other World of Tiers books.
    WebMage by Kelly McCullough (aqualectrix)
    aqualectrix: McCullough's world of cyberpunk-magic has a very similar feel to Zelazny's Amber series.
    The Dark World by Henry Kuttner (bluetyson)
    bluetyson: Also the rest of the five Corwin books by Zelazny, especially The Guns Of Avalon.
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (Frozeninja)
    The Illustrated Roger Zelazny by Roger Zelazny (LadyDarbanville)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Roger Zelazny's The Dawn of Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    Chaos and Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    To Rule in Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)

English (47)  French (2)  All languages (49)
Corwin wakes up in a hospital with no memory of his past. But when he meets his sister, he has to adapt quickly in this dangerous game for power.

I loved this book. It's strangely simple, with very plain sentence structures and straightforward dialogue and diction. The plot itself is also straightforward. But there is a lot of depth and intrigue in this book.

Each character has their own quirks, and I am curious to find out what they are in future books. Random is sly and devious and I want to know more.

I love how this book doesn't make it easy for Corwin. He is a great protagonist. Not perfect, not even the best, but cunning enough to weasel out information from his brothers and sisters. He has a poet's soul and some notions of compassion to make him a likable protagonist - but straightforward and direct about his preference to be king that I'm not nitpicking at motivations. "He wouldn't be a bad thing in Amber; it was just that I preferred me."

The world and magic system is fantastic. They aren't crazy, like China Mieville's worlds or mind-blowing like Brandon Sanderson's systems. But it's different. And it adds something to the book. You can tell it's not just a random tidbit thrown in just because. The idea that Amber is the true city gives importance to the battle to be the ruler. The magic system with the Trumps and the cards are utilized to great potential. The imagery of walking the path towards Amber - breathtaking.

I look forward to knowing more about these people and this world. Zelazny slips in enough foreshadowing hints for me to be completely intrigued.

Four stars. Very good. I really want to finish this series.
Recommended for anyone who likes a bit of science fiction and suspense. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Four stars. Very good. I really want to finish this series.
Recommended for anyone who likes a bit of science fiction and suspense. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Zelazny has incredible world building skills and Amber is no exception; however, beyond the world building, the rest of the novel is one giant train wreck. Characters move from old English to modern slang free form without rhyme or reason. The magic is system is all fubar - one minute it works and the next zilch until somebody else comes along to use magic and help out this semi-omnipotent Prince of Amber. Everybody wants to be King but only half heartedly. The main character has amnesia and conveniently remembers some things and yet when he does rattles off pages. Imagine Phillip K Dick doing lots of acid and then rewriting Game of Thrones as a science fiction novel. ( )
1 vote revslick | Jun 26, 2014 |
Perhaps nearly four stars for the first book, and three for each of the other 4 Corwin books which I am not going to add separately. After the first one I tend to skip over all the shadow walking stuff as it gets a bit samey - so they end up more like long short stories. I think I like the books particularly because I like to inhabit the head of the narrator - a very satisfying character and an enjoyable rollercoaster adventure. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
I've hear of Amber quite often, but had never read any of the books. After some further recommendations and a group read of my book club, I decided to give it a try. I actually own The great book of Amber, an omnibus of all 10 books, but for now will put my reviews at the single books.

I'll be honest and say I was not as blown away as some people are. The ideas are nice, but I don't always like the execution. I find the walking through shadow a bit chaotic. The descriptions of the changing world are not that interesting to me, nor are the battles. So, there are bits and pieces that I find interesting, mostly conversations where we find out more about how things work. Sometimes a bit where there seems to be a relationship growing. But then there are uninteresting bits again. It does read very easily, though, and so far the interesting bits hold enough appeal to continue. The book is quite short, and the story is so clearly not finished, that it almost feels more like a chapter in a book than an actual book itself. So I'll continue with the next chapter, and see how far I get... ( )
  zjakkelien | Jun 1, 2014 |

Zelazny, Rogerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edwards, Amelia S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juliani, AlessandroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was starting to end, after what seemed most of eternity to me.

Nine Princes in Amber is the first of the 10 books that are The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

The Audible audio rendition of this classic sci-fi/fantasy series is kicked off by 2012 Audie Award nominee, Alessandro Juliani, who reads the first five books that make up the Corwin Cycle and whose narration vividly brings the world of Amber to life.

Amber is the one real world, of which all others including our own Earth are but Shadows. Amber burns in Corwin's blood. Exiled on Shadow Earth for centuries, the prince is about to return to Amber to make a mad and desperate rush upon the throne.

From Arden to the Pattern deep in Castle Amber which defines the very structure of Reality, Corwin must contend with the powers of his eight immortal brothers, all Princes of Amber. His savage path is blocked and guarded by eerie structures beyond imagining impossible realities forged by demonic assassins and staggering Forces that challenge the might of Corwin's superhuman fury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380014300, Mass Market Paperback)

Awakening in an Earth hospital unable to remember who he is or where he came from, Corwin is amazed to learn that he is one of the sons of Oberon, King of Amber, and is the rightful successor to the crown in a parallel world. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,315,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible