Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes…

Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes de Ambar) (original 1970; edition 1989)

by Roger Zelazny

1,980None3,395 (4.02)2 / 106
Member:Orphu_de_Io
Title:Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes de Ambar)
Authors:Roger Zelazny
Info:ORBIT (1989), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Iliad, Español, Your library
Tags:ambar

Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny (1970)

20th century (7) alternate universe (7) alternate worlds (8) Amber (116) audio (6) Chronicles of Amber (31) Corwin (14) ebook (11) fantasy (421) fiction (172) mmpb (15) multiverse (9) novel (27) own (11) owned (7) paperback (19) parallel worlds (13) pb (8) read (42) Roger Zelazny (22) Roman (6) science fiction (146) series (33) sf (55) sff (42) signed (9) speculative fiction (8) to-read (46) unread (7) Zelazny (19)
    The Well-Favored Man: The Tale of the Sorcerers Nephew by Elizabeth Willey (aqualectrix)
    Lyonesse by Jack Vance (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: another modern telling of fairy tales, Amber and Lyonnesse have quite a bit in common and may appeal the same readers.
    The Maker of Universes by Philip José Farmer (Amtep)
    Amtep: Those who are fascinated by the Amber universe may find the seeds of many of its ideas in Farmer's Maker of Universes and the other World of Tiers books.
    The Well-Favored Man by Elizabeth Willey (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: Similar in that they both feature many different interconnected worlds, family drama, and first person perspective.
    The Illustrated Roger Zelazny by Roger Zelazny (LadyDarbanville)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (Frozeninja)
    WebMage by Kelly McCullough (aqualectrix)
    aqualectrix: McCullough's world of cyberpunk-magic has a very similar feel to Zelazny's Amber series.
    The Dark World by Henry Kuttner (bluetyson)
    bluetyson: Also the rest of the five Corwin books by Zelazny, especially The Guns Of Avalon.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Roger Zelazny's The Dawn of Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    Chaos and Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    To Rule in Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)

English (41)  French (2)  All languages (43)
Originally Posted at FanLit.

“I’d get what I needed and take what I wanted and I’d remember those who helped me and step on the rest. For this, I knew, was the law by which our family lived, and I was a true son of my father.”

When Corwin wakes up in a private hospital after driving his car over a cliff, he has no idea who he is. When he realizes that he has healed too fast and that he’s being drugged so he’ll stay unconscious, he decides that he better find out what’s going on.
The truth is strange: Corwin is one of the nine princes of Amber, the one true world, but for centuries he’s been exiled in the Shadowland we call Earth. The accident has actually dislodged the spell that his brother Eric was using to keep him out of Amber because Corwin is the biggest threat to Eric’s sovereignty there.

Nine Princes in Amber is the first (rather short) installment in a long epic that describes, from Corwin’s perspective and later his son’s, the struggle of his family to deal with both their internal treacheries and the evil forces that assail them from the forces of Chaos. In Nine Princes in Amber, Corwin must figure out who he is, assess his resources, gather some allies, wonder whether his father is dead or alive, and make a move on the throne of Amber. Here we learn what Corwin has been doing for centuries on Earth, meet several of his siblings, discover the way in and out of Amber, meet a race of people who live under the sea, and discover some of the special powers of Corwin’s family.

Ah… Corwin’s family… if you can call them a “family.” Corwin’s own description for them is “Machiavellian,” and that about covers it. Corwin and his brothers and sisters are clever, sophisticated, sarcastic, and extremely ambitious. They constantly scheme and plot to outmaneuver each other as they vie for political power. If you knew these people in real life, you’d probably hate them, but in Zelazny’s hands they’re kind of charming. These are people who plan to live forever, have the ability to design their own worlds to plunder, are incapable of trust, and have no reason to think about anyone other than themselves. In the end, Corwin rages against his brother and makes a rash decision that will negatively affect Amber’s future.

THE CHRONICLES OF AMBER was highly imaginative when it was published in the 1970s and it remains fresh and original today. The magic system is creative, Zelazny’s writing style is solid, the story is fast-paced, exciting, and mature. Plot twists and cliffhangers make it hard to stop reading. You’ll definitely want to have The Guns of Avalon, the second book in the series, ready to go as soon as you finish Nine Princes in Amber.

Nine Princes in Amber is a re-read for me because Audible Frontiers has recently produced THE CHRONICLES OF AMBER on audio — something I have been waiting years for. They’ve chosen one of their best narrators for Zelazny’s most famous work: Alessandro Juliani. He’s got the perfect voice and style to play Corwin, so I’m really pleased with this production. If you’re an audio reader, you’ll definitely want to download this classic! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I could only muster up two stars for this book. This is the first in Zelazny's Amber series. It's a very quick, easy read, and it kept me engrossed as Corwin, the protagonist, wakes up in the modern-day (OK, 1970s) world, and fights through his amnesia to an understanding of his royal/godly heritage and the power struggle in which he is inextricably entangled.

I am not sure how how to feel about Corwin. This guy is arrogant to the extreme. He does some pretty godawful things to innocent people (beings?) along the way, although he then expresses some hazy, lazy sense of regret. And to what end? His own self-interest. The gods fight on high, screw any collateral damage. Rah?

One funny thing -- the book was first published in 1970, and it's unintentionally hilarious when dated slang pops up, especially in the context of horsemen, swords and kingdoms.

I'm going to read the next book in the series to see if it gets any better. Not much to lose, since it's a fast read.

But thus far, as the main character might say, I just don't dig it.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
In 'Among Others' by Jo Walton, Mori, the main character, is pretty excited about the Amber chronicles by Roger Zelazny. Because I already had the first chronicles on my To Be Read pile (mountain), I figured I'd better read them.
Carl Corey wakes up in a medical clinic (in the US, present day) and while he has lost his memory, he figures out he shouldn't be there and escapes. He soon arrives at his sister's house, and while hiding his amnesia, finds out he is a member of a family of not-humans who can travel to another world called Amber. In fact, Amber is the original world, and he and his family can travel to Shadow's, worlds all just a bit different from Amber. Our Earth is such a world. He also discovers card, like tarot cards, of the members of his family. Those cards enable him to contact them, and to travel to them through the cards. In this book Corey, who is actually Corwin, gets his memory back, and starts fighting his brother Eric for the throne of Amber. Along the way he discovers just what has happened while he was away, who is allied with whom, and what he is fighting for.
I liked the story, but even though the parts were all released separately, I am sure they are better in one volume. The idea of Amber and Shadow worlds is a very good one, and I like the rest of the world mechanics that Zelazny created. On the other hand, the story somehow felt rushed, like he wanted to use all elements in a story, but only had about 190 pages to do it. Not brilliant but entertaining, three out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Nov 12, 2013 |
I don't get what all the fuss is about.

This guy wakes up from a coma with no memory of who he is, immediately realizes that his life is at risk, escapes from the hospital to his sister's house, and starts to get his memory back. He vaguely remembers that he and his siblings all hate each other (but no reason for this hatred is given). He realizes that they're all royalty in some magical realm (but never thinks this is odd). And then, for absolutely no reason whatsoever (other than, this is just what princes of Amber do), he decides to raise a massive army to fight and kill his brother so he can rule Amber.

I guess I can see that this is some fun fantasy/adventure/swashbuckling stuff... but none of it makes any sense. There is no reason for this plot to exist. No motivation is ever given for any of the characters' actions, or mutual hatred, or anything. It's just a bunch of random adventure.

Maybe the later books explain all of this stuff a little bit better - maybe they give the backstory of what Amber is and why it's worth the deaths of hundreds of thousands to be king of Amber. But this book definitely doesn't explain it, and I don't have any desire to read any more, if they're all like this. ( )
2 vote Gwendydd | Oct 4, 2013 |

Zelazny, Rogerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edwards, Amelia S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juliani, AlessandroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was starting to end, after what seemed most of eternity to me.

Nine Princes in Amber is the first of the 10 books that are The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

The Audible audio rendition of this classic sci-fi/fantasy series is kicked off by 2012 Audie Award nominee, Alessandro Juliani, who reads the first five books that make up the Corwin Cycle and whose narration vividly brings the world of Amber to life.

Amber is the one real world, of which all others including our own Earth are but Shadows. Amber burns in Corwin's blood. Exiled on Shadow Earth for centuries, the prince is about to return to Amber to make a mad and desperate rush upon the throne.

From Arden to the Pattern deep in Castle Amber which defines the very structure of Reality, Corwin must contend with the powers of his eight immortal brothers, all Princes of Amber. His savage path is blocked and guarded by eerie structures beyond imagining impossible realities forged by demonic assassins and staggering Forces that challenge the might of Corwin's superhuman fury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380014300, Mass Market Paperback)

Awakening in an Earth hospital unable to remember who he is or where he came from, Corwin is amazed to learn that he is one of the sons of Oberon, King of Amber, and is the rightful successor to the crown in a parallel world. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible