Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes…

Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes de Ambar) (original 1970; edition 1989)

by Roger Zelazny

2,229512,890 (4)3 / 121
Title:Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes de Ambar)
Authors:Roger Zelazny
Info:ORBIT (1989), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Iliad, Español, Your library

Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny (Author) (1970)

The Well-Favored Man by Elizabeth Willey (saturnine13, aqualectrix)
    saturnine13: Similar in that they both feature many different interconnected worlds, family drama, and first person perspective.
    Lyonesse by Jack Vance (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: another modern telling of fairy tales, Amber and Lyonnesse have quite a bit in common and may appeal the same readers.
    The maker of universes by Philip José Farmer (Amtep)
    Amtep: Those who are fascinated by the Amber universe may find the seeds of many of its ideas in Farmer's Maker of Universes and the other World of Tiers books.
    WebMage by Kelly McCullough (aqualectrix)
    aqualectrix: McCullough's world of cyberpunk-magic has a very similar feel to Zelazny's Amber series.
    The dark world by Henry Kuttner (bluetyson)
    bluetyson: Also the rest of the five Corwin books by Zelazny, especially The Guns Of Avalon.
    The Illustrated Roger Zelazny by Roger Zelazny (LadyDarbanville)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (Frozeninja)
    Roger Zelazny's The Dawn of Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    To Rule in Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    Chaos and Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.

English (49)  French (2)  All languages (51)
The first book in the 10-volume "Chronicles of Amber" series, by Roger Zelazny, is titled NINE PRINCES IN AMBER. Originally written in 1970, it is a fantasy set in parallel worlds of Earth and an unnamed place where the city of Amber lies.
As the story begins, our hero wakes up in a private hospital in the United States. He doesn't know who he is or why he is there. Humorously, "Corwin" cunningly gets people to reveal details about himself. He soon finds out that he is a prince in Amber, and stumbles into returning there to claim the throne of his departed father. Along the way he is attacked by Shadows, visits an underwater city, gathers an army of creatures (some of which are furry), sails the seas, engages in swordfighting, and spends time in an unlit dungeon.
I can't imagine anyone not finding this book to he highly entertaining. The pace is fast and the conversation is funny. I sometimes found myself laughing out loud at Corwin's thoughts and words. Hopefully the rest of the series will be just as fun!
--Stephanie ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
There are some of the most unique and fantastic/al books I have read. Also the only ones by Roger Zelazny I seem able to find myself interested in, but they have everything--a cool communication system for the characters, a large family with all the political strife that goes along with it, including breaking with one sibling and siding with another at inopportune moments, a maze, magic, underwater kingdoms... it's got everything. If you're interested in writing fantasy, these should definitely be on your to read list. ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
Noted during my 1980s attempt to read every book in my small town library. ( )
  juniperSun | Dec 5, 2014 |
Very interesting. Did not turn out the way I expected, either. I like that in a book. Off to read more! ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Corwin wakes up in a hospital with no memory of his past. But when he meets his sister, he has to adapt quickly in this dangerous game for power.

I loved this book. It's strangely simple, with very plain sentence structures and straightforward dialogue and diction. The plot itself is also straightforward. But there is a lot of depth and intrigue in this book.

Each character has their own quirks, and I am curious to find out what they are in future books. Random is sly and devious and I want to know more.

I love how this book doesn't make it easy for Corwin. He is a great protagonist. Not perfect, not even the best, but cunning enough to weasel out information from his brothers and sisters. He has a poet's soul and some notions of compassion to make him a likable protagonist - but straightforward and direct about his preference to be king that I'm not nitpicking at motivations. "He wouldn't be a bad thing in Amber; it was just that I preferred me."

The world and magic system is fantastic. They aren't crazy, like China Mieville's worlds or mind-blowing like Brandon Sanderson's systems. But it's different. And it adds something to the book. You can tell it's not just a random tidbit thrown in just because. The idea that Amber is the true city gives importance to the battle to be the ruler. The magic system with the Trumps and the cards are utilized to great potential. The imagery of walking the path towards Amber - breathtaking.

I look forward to knowing more about these people and this world. Zelazny slips in enough foreshadowing hints for me to be completely intrigued.

Four stars. Very good. I really want to finish this series.
Recommended for anyone who likes a bit of science fiction and suspense. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Zelazny, RogerAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edwards, Amelia S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juliani, AlessandroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was starting to end, after what seemed most of eternity to me.

Nine Princes in Amber is the first of the 10 books that are The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

The Audible audio rendition of this classic sci-fi/fantasy series is kicked off by 2012 Audie Award nominee, Alessandro Juliani, who reads the first five books that make up the Corwin Cycle and whose narration vividly brings the world of Amber to life.

Amber is the one real world, of which all others including our own Earth are but Shadows. Amber burns in Corwin's blood. Exiled on Shadow Earth for centuries, the prince is about to return to Amber to make a mad and desperate rush upon the throne.

From Arden to the Pattern deep in Castle Amber which defines the very structure of Reality, Corwin must contend with the powers of his eight immortal brothers, all Princes of Amber. His savage path is blocked and guarded by eerie structures beyond imagining impossible realities forged by demonic assassins and staggering Forces that challenge the might of Corwin's superhuman fury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380014300, Mass Market Paperback)

Awakening in an Earth hospital unable to remember who he is or where he came from, Corwin is amazed to learn that he is one of the sons of Oberon, King of Amber, and is the rightful successor to the crown in a parallel world. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:21 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible