Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes…

Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes de Ambar) (original 1970; edition 1989)

by Roger Zelazny

2,028473,301 (4)2 / 107
Member:Orphu_de_Io
Title:Nine princes in Amber (Los nueve príncipes de Ambar)
Authors:Roger Zelazny
Info:ORBIT (1989), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Iliad, Español, Your library
Tags:ambar

Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny (1970)

Recently added byprivate library, WorthyWoman, Maddz, gurpsgm, macdherbe, Faustgeist, Joliveira, -sunny-, DBReads
20th century (7) alternate universe (7) alternate worlds (8) Amber (117) audible (7) audio (7) Chronicles of Amber (31) Corwin (16) ebook (11) fantasy (428) fiction (174) mmpb (15) multiverse (10) novel (27) own (11) owned (7) paperback (19) parallel worlds (13) pb (8) read (43) Roger Zelazny (22) science fiction (148) series (33) sf (55) sff (45) signed (9) speculative fiction (8) to-read (60) unread (7) Zelazny (19)
    The Well-Favored Man by Elizabeth Willey (saturnine13, aqualectrix)
    saturnine13: Similar in that they both feature many different interconnected worlds, family drama, and first person perspective.
    Lyonesse by Jack Vance (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: another modern telling of fairy tales, Amber and Lyonnesse have quite a bit in common and may appeal the same readers.
    The Maker of Universes by Philip José Farmer (Amtep)
    Amtep: Those who are fascinated by the Amber universe may find the seeds of many of its ideas in Farmer's Maker of Universes and the other World of Tiers books.
    WebMage by Kelly McCullough (aqualectrix)
    aqualectrix: McCullough's world of cyberpunk-magic has a very similar feel to Zelazny's Amber series.
    The Dark World by Henry Kuttner (bluetyson)
    bluetyson: Also the rest of the five Corwin books by Zelazny, especially The Guns Of Avalon.
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (Frozeninja)
    The Illustrated Roger Zelazny by Roger Zelazny (LadyDarbanville)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Roger Zelazny's The Dawn of Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    Chaos and Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)
    To Rule in Amber by John Gregory Betancourt (Patangel)

English (45)  French (2)  All languages (47)
Zelazny has incredible world building skills and Amber is no exception; however, beyond the world building, the rest of the novel is one giant train wreck. Characters move from old English to modern slang free form without rhyme or reason. The magic is system is all fubar - one minute it works and the next zilch until somebody else comes along to use magic and help out this semi-omnipotent Prince of Amber. Everybody wants to be King but only half heartedly. The main character has amnesia and conveniently remembers some things and yet when he does rattles off pages. Imagine Phillip K Dick doing lots of acid and then rewriting Game of Thrones as a science fiction novel. ( )
  revslick | Jun 26, 2014 |
Perhaps nearly four stars for the first book, and three for each of the other 4 Corwin books which I am not going to add separately. After the first one I tend to skip over all the shadow walking stuff as it gets a bit samey - so they end up more like long short stories. I think I like the books particularly because I like to inhabit the head of the narrator - a very satisfying character and an enjoyable rollercoaster adventure. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
I've hear of Amber quite often, but had never read any of the books. After some further recommendations and a group read of my book club, I decided to give it a try. I actually own The great book of Amber, an omnibus of all 10 books, but for now will put my reviews at the single books.

I'll be honest and say I was not as blown away as some people are. The ideas are nice, but I don't always like the execution. I find the walking through shadow a bit chaotic. The descriptions of the changing world are not that interesting to me, nor are the battles. So, there are bits and pieces that I find interesting, mostly conversations where we find out more about how things work. Sometimes a bit where there seems to be a relationship growing. But then there are uninteresting bits again. It does read very easily, though, and so far the interesting bits hold enough appeal to continue. The book is quite short, and the story is so clearly not finished, that it almost feels more like a chapter in a book than an actual book itself. So I'll continue with the next chapter, and see how far I get... ( )
  zjakkelien | Jun 1, 2014 |
The premise is that Corwin, one of the Lords of Fae, has been trapped in the mortal realm for a few centuries, living in his version of Hell and suffering from amnesia. He wakes up and slowly recovers his memories, just in time to learn that his claim to the throne is about to be usurped by his older brother. So he enlists a few of his other brothers and goes to war against the usurper, in an attempt to recover his perceived birthright.

Can you say "entitlement issues?" This entire book reads to me like a painful episode of Silver Spoons, or maybe 90210. One spoiled rich kid isn't getting what he wants, so he throws a tantrum and drags the rest of the family in, forcing them to choose sides, and causing a major rift in the family, all so he can try to take the ball away from his older brother, who picked it up first.

To be honest, I don't see what the fuss is about. The Amber Chronicles have appeared on so many lists of must-read fantasy, for so long, that I just had to check it out. Well, I've done that now, but I'm thinking, "Is that it?" I understand that it's only the first book, and that amazing stuff may be waiting for me in Book 2. Or Book 8. But I would only bother to read those if Book 1 had done its job, dragging me into a story that I feel compelled to see through to the end. Well it didn't, and I don't, so I won't. ( )
1 vote Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
Originally Posted at FanLit.

“I’d get what I needed and take what I wanted and I’d remember those who helped me and step on the rest. For this, I knew, was the law by which our family lived, and I was a true son of my father.”

When Corwin wakes up in a private hospital after driving his car over a cliff, he has no idea who he is. When he realizes that he has healed too fast and that he’s being drugged so he’ll stay unconscious, he decides that he better find out what’s going on.
The truth is strange: Corwin is one of the nine princes of Amber, the one true world, but for centuries he’s been exiled in the Shadowland we call Earth. The accident has actually dislodged the spell that his brother Eric was using to keep him out of Amber because Corwin is the biggest threat to Eric’s sovereignty there.

Nine Princes in Amber is the first (rather short) installment in a long epic that describes, from Corwin’s perspective and later his son’s, the struggle of his family to deal with both their internal treacheries and the evil forces that assail them from the forces of Chaos. In Nine Princes in Amber, Corwin must figure out who he is, assess his resources, gather some allies, wonder whether his father is dead or alive, and make a move on the throne of Amber. Here we learn what Corwin has been doing for centuries on Earth, meet several of his siblings, discover the way in and out of Amber, meet a race of people who live under the sea, and discover some of the special powers of Corwin’s family.

Ah… Corwin’s family… if you can call them a “family.” Corwin’s own description for them is “Machiavellian,” and that about covers it. Corwin and his brothers and sisters are clever, sophisticated, sarcastic, and extremely ambitious. They constantly scheme and plot to outmaneuver each other as they vie for political power. If you knew these people in real life, you’d probably hate them, but in Zelazny’s hands they’re kind of charming. These are people who plan to live forever, have the ability to design their own worlds to plunder, are incapable of trust, and have no reason to think about anyone other than themselves. In the end, Corwin rages against his brother and makes a rash decision that will negatively affect Amber’s future.

THE CHRONICLES OF AMBER was highly imaginative when it was published in the 1970s and it remains fresh and original today. The magic system is creative, Zelazny’s writing style is solid, the story is fast-paced, exciting, and mature. Plot twists and cliffhangers make it hard to stop reading. You’ll definitely want to have The Guns of Avalon, the second book in the series, ready to go as soon as you finish Nine Princes in Amber.

Nine Princes in Amber is a re-read for me because Audible Frontiers has recently produced THE CHRONICLES OF AMBER on audio — something I have been waiting years for. They’ve chosen one of their best narrators for Zelazny’s most famous work: Alessandro Juliani. He’s got the perfect voice and style to play Corwin, so I’m really pleased with this production. If you’re an audio reader, you’ll definitely want to download this classic! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Zelazny, Rogerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edwards, Amelia S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juliani, AlessandroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was starting to end, after what seemed most of eternity to me.

Nine Princes in Amber is the first of the 10 books that are The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

The Audible audio rendition of this classic sci-fi/fantasy series is kicked off by 2012 Audie Award nominee, Alessandro Juliani, who reads the first five books that make up the Corwin Cycle and whose narration vividly brings the world of Amber to life.

Amber is the one real world, of which all others including our own Earth are but Shadows. Amber burns in Corwin's blood. Exiled on Shadow Earth for centuries, the prince is about to return to Amber to make a mad and desperate rush upon the throne.

From Arden to the Pattern deep in Castle Amber which defines the very structure of Reality, Corwin must contend with the powers of his eight immortal brothers, all Princes of Amber. His savage path is blocked and guarded by eerie structures beyond imagining impossible realities forged by demonic assassins and staggering Forces that challenge the might of Corwin's superhuman fury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380014300, Mass Market Paperback)

Awakening in an Earth hospital unable to remember who he is or where he came from, Corwin is amazed to learn that he is one of the sons of Oberon, King of Amber, and is the rightful successor to the crown in a parallel world. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible