Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (k1tsune)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Kcart)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (leahsimone)
    The Good Fight by Justin Robinson (Justin.T.Robinson)
    Justin.T.Robinson: While different genres, both Wizard's First Rule and The Good Fight use an action-adventure story as a framework to discuss philosophical ideas of individualism.
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (VictoriaPL)
    Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon (and22polarbears)
    and22polarbears: This is the first of a trilogy by Haydon, all three books of which are of excellent quality. The preface to this book scared me at first, since it seemed a little too much like romance-novel fluff, but thankfully, I kept reading. I was not disappointed. I have leant my copy of this book to six different friends and recommended it to more. Everyone I know who read Rhapsody went on to read the whole trilogy, even my good friend who loves to read but avoids fantasy. Also, my friends who have read both Rhapsody and the Sword of Truth series generally agree that the Rhapsody trilogy stays strong throughout, while Wizard's First Rule is a great start to a series that ends with many sub-par books.… (more)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Kassilem)
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis (VictoriaPL)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (loriephillips)

English (153)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (163)
The book is very reminiscent of Ayn Rand's novel in feeling (not in substance or subject matter or insane political ideas). I felt as though, at times, the characters seemed to merely be pawns spouting off philosophical viewpoints or painfully holding the reader's hand and exclaiming "Look! See here! I am making a statement about morality and the human condition! Pay attention!" The dialogue often feels forced.

That aside, the books was fun to read. As it is only the first volume in a large series. I can only hope that the author's ability to engage the reader in thoughtful dialogue and present more earnest character development gets better (It is my observation that after a few novels this ends up happening).

Therefore, although I give this book a mere 3 stars, rest assured that your time is not wasted on this tale. It is full of adventure, marvelous scenery, and a few new twists on the typical fantasy 'stuff' we're used to seeing. ( )
  Joseph_Scifres | Sep 20, 2017 |
This book is useful, at least.
Looking at it as an outline of a cookie cutter, impossibly generic popcorn fantasy can give you some direction into knowing exactly what not to do when writing a fantasy story. It reads as someone's fever dream of what the '90's nerd kids would like and I suppose it does that well. It's not boring, it's just breathtakingly generic. The whole crew is here, Marty Sue, Mary Sue, The Great Object, The Dark Lord, The Powerful Wizard, The Spooky Skeletons.
All in all, Terry Goodkind wrote a good generic fantasy bare-bones skeleton of what he thought a book in this genre should be, and probably what the mainstream audience thinks that fantasy is, so use this as a reference point to something so awe-inspiringly unoriginal you could never write something like it yourself. ( )
  alexiosangelos | Aug 14, 2017 |
Not my thing. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
An excellent book, the first of a series. True fantasy including the crossing of realms, the seeker of truth, and unconditional and passionate love - inflicted with the touch of one hand. Also, naked wizards standing on rocks and an evil to be conquered. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
My rating is actually closer to 2.5 stars, but since that's not possible I've (correctly) rounded up.

This book series was recommended by a coworker after I raved about A Song of Ice and Fire and The Wheel of Time series. This book in particular was definitely not on par with the other book series. It lacked the finesse and attention to details that Song and Wheel had. It didn't grab my attention nor did I find the characters or the world in which it takes place all that interesting. Zedd was the only one that I actually found interesting.

I think the book and story had great potential so I will continue to read the other books in the series and hope that it's more engaging. ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bond, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jeri
It was an odd-looking vine.

In this epic fantasy, woodsman Richard Cypher is still grieving over his father's recent murder when he comes across a beautiful woman being pursued by four dangerous men in the woods. He comes to the woman's aid, and she reveals that her name is Kahlan, and she has crossed the magical barrier which separates his land from hers in order to find a mysterious wizard, the key to stopping the tyrannical and evil Darken Rahl from opening the boxes of Orden and possibly destroying the world. The magical barriers separating the worlds are coming down, the power of the underworld is entering the world, and it is up to Richard to find the strength and power within himself to destroy Darken Rahl and save the people of Westland, the Midlands, and D'Hara from the evil Rahl would unleash upon them.
Contiene i due romanzi: L'assedio delle tenebre e La profezia del mago. La Spada della Verità è uno dei cicli fantasy piú amati e seguiti nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Finalmente in edizione tascabile, La Spada della Verità raccoglie in un solo volume i primi due romanzi del ciclo, L'Assedio delle Tenebre e La Profezia del Mago, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica e offrendo un'occasione irrinunciabile agli appassionati e ai lettori di ogni età per conoscere e apprezzare un'opera famosa in tutto il mondo. "Credo davvero che quest'opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta." Marion Zimmer Bradley "Un narratore di talento è una rarità, e Terry Goodkind è davvero tra i piú dotati." Anne McCaffrey "Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale." Booklist "Un'opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario." Piers Anthony

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548051, Mass Market Paperback)

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

An unearthly adversary descends on an idyllic fantasy world, corrupting magic against good and slaughtering innocents, and only a single man can stop him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible