Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of…

Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth) (edition 2008)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:cshawzye
Title:Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Fantasy (2008), Edition: Mti, Mass Market Paperback, 848 pages
Rating:****1/2

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (k1tsune)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Kcart)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (leahsimone)
    The Good Fight by Justin Robinson (Justin.T.Robinson)
    Justin.T.Robinson: While different genres, both Wizard's First Rule and The Good Fight use an action-adventure story as a framework to discuss philosophical ideas of individualism.
    Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon (and22polarbears)
    and22polarbears: This is the first of a trilogy by Haydon, all three books of which are of excellent quality. The preface to this book scared me at first, since it seemed a little too much like romance-novel fluff, but thankfully, I kept reading. I was not disappointed. I have leant my copy of this book to six different friends and recommended it to more. Everyone I know who read Rhapsody went on to read the whole trilogy, even my good friend who loves to read but avoids fantasy. Also, my friends who have read both Rhapsody and the Sword of Truth series generally agree that the Rhapsody trilogy stays strong throughout, while Wizard's First Rule is a great start to a series that ends with many sub-par books.… (more)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (VictoriaPL)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis (VictoriaPL)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Kassilem)

English (163)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (173)
I've pretty much given up on writing "real" (read: semi-coherent) reviews of books that I don't have a commitment to review. It's easier to just tell you all the random thoughts running through my head, and my pure elation at having found a new Fantasy series that actually captured my attention. I really missed being so absorbed in a new world, that nothing else existed outside of it. I'm just head over heels in love with Richard, Kahlan, and Zed.

Wizard's First Rule is lush. It's vividly written, with that perfect amount of description, that never falls over the line into obnoxious. Terry Goodkind's writing quickly pulled me into the world that he wove for me. The line in the sand, between the magic free Westland and the magic riddled Midlands, made me giddy with excitement. If there's one thing I know, a place with no magic that borders its exact opposite, always ends in some kind of war. I hoped for a deliciously evil villain, and I wasn't disappointed.

Which brings me to characters, who impressed me just as much as the plot itself. I fell hard for Richard, and his chivalrous personality. Let's be honest, I have a soft spot in my heart for perpetual "good guys". The ones who might have to make some hard decisions sometimes, but never lose their inner spark. That's Richard, plain and simple. Kahlan had to grow on me a bit, mostly because she's shrouded in mystery for a fair bit of the beginning of this story. As the story progressed though, and I understood her better, I started to fall for her too. By the end of the book, my heart bled for these two. Kahlan and Richard forever, and I don't care who knows it.

I could go on and on about the other amazing characters, especially that deliciously evil villain. I could wax poetic about how Goodkind has mastered the art of the grey area. He manages to write characters who aren't fully evil, or fully good, but somewhere in between. It makes for a much more interesting story. Wich prompts me to warn you that there are a fair amount of torture scenes in a portion of this book. They're important to the story, but also tough to read.

Anyway, If I wrote about all of that though, this review would end up as long as this book. It's testament to how much I loved this that I listened to 36 hours of this story on audio, without blinking an eye. I was actually sad when it was over. Book two has been borrowed, and is in my possession! Let's hope it's as good as the first. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 852
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Richard Cypher, still dealing with his father being brutally murdered, and forbidden from investigating by his elder brother who is about to become the most powerful man in Westland, rescues a young woman from the clutches of four men. Her name is Kahlan.

Kahlan is from the Midlands, a land where magic abounds and that is cutoff from Westland by the Border, a magical construct. But the Border between the Midlands and D'Hara has already fallen and Lord Rahl, lord of D'Hara, has taken over the Midlands. A prophecy says that Kahlan will find the Seeker, the wielder of the Sword of Truth, in the Westlands. This Seeker can only be appointed by the last remaining wizard, a wizard so powerful that he cast a spell that made everyone in the entire world forget his name and his face.

Richard takes Kahlan to his old friend Zed, a rascally old man who has trained Richard throughout the years in woodcraft and various other skills. Richard does something or other that makes it obvious that he is the Seeker Kahlan is looking for, but where will they find an unkown wizard who has the Sword of Truth to give to Richard? Oh wait...

Richard, Kahlan and Zed are on the run, as Lord Rahl is able to send magical creatures across the Border to hunt down Kahlan. Richard has memorized a secret book and Lord Rahl has done some magical stuff with some magical boxes. These boxes will either give Lord Rahl complete power, certain death or the destruction of all living things. Only Richard knows the correct box to pick.

Lord Rahl pulls shenanigans and ends up with everybody at his castle. Everyone is so busy trying to protect everybody else that they give Lord Rahl exactly what he wants. He opens a Box of Orden, only Richard, being such a super smart Seeker, tricked him. Lord Rahl dies and it is revealed that Richard Cypher is actually the son of Lord Rahl and the grandson of the Wizard Zeddicus. Long Live the Good Lord Rahl!

My Thoughts:

Awwwww man! This went from a 5star read in '04, on my Loved side of the 100 books of Bookstooge down to a 2 star! Folks, that is a crushing blow. I am not sure that Life itself is worth continuing. With a blow like that, my confidence is shattered, my ego destroyed and my ham-handed self-righteousness has been shish-kebabed.

Where do I start?

Well, the writing I guess. It was bad. It was clunky. It was choppy. It did not flow. When I read the words I felt like I was in a wagon going over a cobblestone road. Richard did things. Richard said things. Kahlan also did and said things. Zed AND Lord Rahl both said and did things. It felt like watching a marionette show. I have no memory of the writing being this unskilled 14 years ago. Guess I've matured in that time. Thank goodness!

The characters. Most of the issues with the various characters stems from the writing skill (or lack thereof) and not because of any inherent flaws in the characters. They are mainly flat without any real individuality. The romance between Richard and Kahlan has all the texture, flavor and excitement of drying cement. Zed, for being a wizard of great strength and age, is as much an idiot as Richard.

The Mord Sith. This was just disturbing this time around. A group of women broken in every single way so that pain is pleasure to them. Lord Rahl then somehow makes them able to control any magic used against them and the Mord Sith can torture the magic user until they are the Mord Sith's slave. This was gone into in way more detail than was needed and I just felt dirty after reading it.

Everything is resolved because Richard is the golden boy. I usually like a protagonist who is capable and smart and able to handle everything thrown at him. This time though, Richard didn't work that way for me. He's so golden King Midas would be envious. It didn't encourage me, it made me nauseous. It didn't help that Goodkind uses Richard as a mouth piece and Goodkind blows the trumpet loud and long.

Overall, a very bleh read that really crushed me with how disappointed I was because of my memories.I will be removing this from the Bookstooge in 100 Books once I find a suitable replacement to go on the “Loved” side. Way to go Goodkind, make MORE work for me almost 15 years after I read your book. You're a real peach...

★★☆☆☆ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Oct 5, 2018 |
It's very much classic fantasy (discounting the torture, maybe). Richard, the woman, the wizard, the quest, the traitor, the evil antagonist.

The author has a bad case of "tell, don't show", and his language and phrasing are far from lyrical. The story has some very strong parts, but feels mediocre and generic in between. The book's saving grace is the detailed world and world building that allows the reader to forget everything else (including the story and the dull language). ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
This is the follow up book the Debt of Bones read in BOTM. There is a world divided evil magic, good magic, and no magic. The boundaries between evil and good magic is destroyed, a war ensues. Someone from the land of magic must flee to the land of no-magic, i.e. the Westlands, to find a wizard and a legendary hero to save the world of good magic, i.e. the Midlands, from the ruler of bad magic, i.e D'Hara. Does that sound exciting? Does it make you want to pick up the book and start down the path of the Sword of Truth series. I agree. This is a great first book, and I highly recommend reading it. I love the characters and the story line, the end has a great set up for the next book, which is both great and not so great for me. Because once you have read this book, you know the underlying plot for every book remaining in the series, so there is no real need to finish reading them. Richard loves Kahlan, and Kahlan loves Richard, but boohoo they can never be together so tragic, oh look they almost messed thing up, but now they have fixed them blah blah blah. But don't let the fact that the rest of the series sucks turn you off from this book, and some people even like the repeating story line in the sequels. I really like this book, I really enjoy the read and the characters, there is no character I say I wish was not written into the story. I love Zedd, and his zaniness. The writing is solid, there is just enough detail to set up the world in your minds eye, but not so much that you imagination is hog-tied. The characters are likable and deep enough to be believable. And I admit the first time I read this series I couldn't wait to start the next one, and I went about 4 or 5 books in before giving up. Take this book as a great first book and love it for that, because it deserves it.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
I would try and read this after watching the show if you haven't done either yet. The show (at least the first season, didn't watch second) was pretty good but the book is way better. It is quite a bit more graphic as well so don't read this if that bugs you. ( )
  Kylana | Aug 13, 2018 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bond, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jeri
It was an odd-looking vine.
The German translations of the Sword of Truth series have been published in a split version as well as a combined version. The same titles have sometimes been used for the single and double volumes. Please do not combine German translations with other language versions without checking that the content is the same. Thank you.

In this epic fantasy, woodsman Richard Cypher is still grieving over his father's recent murder when he comes across a beautiful woman being pursued by four dangerous men in the woods. He comes to the woman's aid, and she reveals that her name is Kahlan, and she has crossed the magical barrier which separates his land from hers in order to find a mysterious wizard, the key to stopping the tyrannical and evil Darken Rahl from opening the boxes of Orden and possibly destroying the world. The magical barriers separating the worlds are coming down, the power of the underworld is entering the world, and it is up to Richard to find the strength and power within himself to destroy Darken Rahl and save the people of Westland, the Midlands, and D'Hara from the evil Rahl would unleash upon them.
Contiene i due romanzi: L'assedio delle tenebre e La profezia del mago. La Spada della Verità è uno dei cicli fantasy piú amati e seguiti nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Finalmente in edizione tascabile, La Spada della Verità raccoglie in un solo volume i primi due romanzi del ciclo, L'Assedio delle Tenebre e La Profezia del Mago, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica e offrendo un'occasione irrinunciabile agli appassionati e ai lettori di ogni età per conoscere e apprezzare un'opera famosa in tutto il mondo. "Credo davvero che quest'opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta." Marion Zimmer Bradley "Un narratore di talento è una rarità, e Terry Goodkind è davvero tra i piú dotati." Anne McCaffrey "Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale." Booklist "Un'opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario." Piers Anthony

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548051, Mass Market Paperback)

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

An unearthly adversary descends on an idyllic fantasy world, corrupting magic against good and slaughtering innocents, and only a single man can stop him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,405,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible