Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)…

Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1) (edition 2008)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:jrissman
Title:Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Books (2008), Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book, Use for Recommendations
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (k1tsune)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Kcart)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (leahsimone)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (VictoriaPL)
    Rhapsody : Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon (and22polarbears)
    and22polarbears: This is the first of a trilogy by Haydon, all three books of which are of excellent quality. The preface to this book scared me at first, since it seemed a little too much like romance-novel fluff, but thankfully, I kept reading. I was not disappointed. I have leant my copy of this book to six different friends and recommended it to more. Everyone I know who read Rhapsody went on to read the whole trilogy, even my good friend who loves to read but avoids fantasy. Also, my friends who have read both Rhapsody and the Sword of Truth series generally agree that the Rhapsody trilogy stays strong throughout, while Wizard's First Rule is a great start to a series that ends with many sub-par books.… (more)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Kassilem)
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis (VictoriaPL)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (loriephillips)

English (134)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (143)
My teenage son recommended this book to me, and I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, it was one of the best books I have read all year. It follows Richard, former woods guide and newly appointed "seeker," Zed the wizard, and Mother Confessor Kahlan, as they attempt to stop the dark wizard (aptly named Darken Rahl) from opening the boxes of Orden and obtaining the magic therein to control the world. But this book contains much more than this quest. It is also a heart breaking love story, a tale of friendship and honor, tells of deceit and betrayal, and the willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the world. It is also full of action and suspense, and a shocking ending that I never saw coming. It was one of the rare books that simultaneously I want to find out what happens at the end and yet never want to end. Luckily for me, there are several more books in this series, and I hope they are all equally as enjoyable as this. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 19, 2015 |
Amazing. I'm awestruck. ( )
  twertz | Apr 23, 2015 |
Yo creo que el aviso fundamental para la gente que se plantee leer esta historia es que es interminable... en España hay publicados 14 libros y en aumento. Yo empecé esta saga hace bastantes años sin imaginar lo muchísimo que se prolongaría, y la terminé dejando para no invertir en ella los ahorros de mi vida. (Eso sí, en este caso la mayor responsabilidad se la lleva la editorial, pues divide en dos cada uno de los libros publicados en la versión original sin ninguna razón de peso aparente, simplemente para hacer más caja). Y entrando en la historia propiamente dicha hay pocos defectos: es original, interesante, rica en fantasía, ligera (aunque hay partes mas pesadas que otras)... ¿Cuál es el problema entonces? Sus personajes protagonistas: tan buenos, tan guapos, tan nobles, tan poderosos, tan inteligentes, tan tan tan perfectos. Pufff. Qué pereza. Yo particularmente no lo recomiendo habiendo otros libros iguales o mejores. O simplemente, historias más cortas.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Frankly I was surprised by the number of people that either hated or loved this book. Not to many people in the middle.

I do have to say as draw backs that the bad guys are usually very much so evil. Definitely some wrenching torture in parts.

I thought the story was diverting and there was enough originality to keep me interested. The first book sets the main characters.

I personally happen to like the ethics of personal responsibility and freedom the author clearly champions. I realize it scares people to allow great freedom because then you also have the opportunity for great transgression. But that is what God allows is it not? ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
A dear friend recommended this series to me, and although I don't usually make many forays into the genre of fantasy, I decided to take the plunge. And wow, have I been glad that I pushed through my usual wariness. This was a fabulous read, and I am already on the second book. While Terry Goodkind isn't exactly a wizard with words, the world which he has created, along with the characters who people it, are nothing short of amazing. The book is full of unexpected twists and turns, with enough humor and lightheartedness to keep it from being dark and depressing. I highly recommend this book not only to the fantasy aficionado, but to those looking to broaden their horizons a bit. You'll be glad that you did. ( )
  silva_44 | Feb 26, 2015 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bond, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jeri
It was an odd-looking vine.

In this epic fantasy, woodsman Richard Cypher is still grieving over his father's recent murder when he comes across a beautiful woman being pursued by four dangerous men in the woods. He comes to the woman's aid, and she reveals that her name is Kahlan, and she has crossed the magical barrier which separates his land from hers in order to find a mysterious wizard, the key to stopping the tyrannical and evil Darken Rahl from opening the boxes of Orden and possibly destroying the world. The magical barriers separating the worlds are coming down, the power of the underworld is entering the world, and it is up to Richard to find the strength and power within himself to destroy Darken Rahl and save the people of Westland, the Midlands, and D'Hara from the evil Rahl would unleash upon them.
Contiene i due romanzi: L'assedio delle tenebre e La profezia del mago. La Spada della Verità è uno dei cicli fantasy piú amati e seguiti nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Finalmente in edizione tascabile, La Spada della Verità raccoglie in un solo volume i primi due romanzi del ciclo, L'Assedio delle Tenebre e La Profezia del Mago, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica e offrendo un'occasione irrinunciabile agli appassionati e ai lettori di ogni età per conoscere e apprezzare un'opera famosa in tutto il mondo. "Credo davvero che quest'opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta." Marion Zimmer Bradley "Un narratore di talento è una rarità, e Terry Goodkind è davvero tra i piú dotati." Anne McCaffrey "Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale." Booklist "Un'opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario." Piers Anthony

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548051, Mass Market Paperback)

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

An unearthly adversary descends on an idyllic fantasy world, corrupting magic against good and slaughtering innocents, and only a single man can stop him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,893,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible