Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)…

Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1) (edition 2008)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:jrissman
Title:Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Books (2008), Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book, Use for Recommendations
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (k1tsune)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Kcart)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (leahsimone)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Rhapsody : Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon (and22polarbears)
    and22polarbears: This is the first of a trilogy by Haydon, all three books of which are of excellent quality. The preface to this book scared me at first, since it seemed a little too much like romance-novel fluff, but thankfully, I kept reading. I was not disappointed. I have leant my copy of this book to six different friends and recommended it to more. Everyone I know who read Rhapsody went on to read the whole trilogy, even my good friend who loves to read but avoids fantasy. Also, my friends who have read both Rhapsody and the Sword of Truth series generally agree that the Rhapsody trilogy stays strong throughout, while Wizard's First Rule is a great start to a series that ends with many sub-par books.… (more)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (VictoriaPL)
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis (VictoriaPL)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Kassilem)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (loriephillips)

English (127)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (136)
I'm not sure whether I read this book differently than most people because I watched the two season Legend of the Seeker TV show first (and loved it). So, I already knew a lot of the twists and the secrets in the book that were supposed to shock the reader. Pretty much all of the twists actually.

It's your general high fantasy plot. Richard Cypher and his band of friends (wow is that word overused in the novel) have to stop the big bad. There's a journey and problems and helpers. Richard 'learns' and 'grows' etc. as well.

The think about the novel was that there are definitely flashes of good, even great plotting, and okay writing, but they got drowned in the muck of the rest.

Stuff like the fact that a lot of the scenes, and within the scenes, were repetitive. The fact that every thing was a bit plotting (over 800 pages long and I felt each and every one of them), and sometimes it seemed like we were aimlessly meandering in circles around the plot but never getting near it. And also some of the dialogue was seriously stilted (not to mention everyone but Zedd and some of the very minor characters spoke in the same way as everyone else.

But, I think my main problem (I'm not going to go near the Communism/Nazism overtones in the novel) was the misogyny of the book. Males, males, males, and when there were females the author made them less, or evil, or a victim, or beholden to a man for somehow 'rescuing' her from something. And this was all done in little ways or big ways.

Anyway, I'll probably at least read the second book in the series. I would like to see how the author portrays Cara in the books vs. how she was portrayed in the TV show. I'm not holding out hope for a great portrayal but, we'll see. ( )
  DanieXJ | Sep 26, 2014 |
Booooring. Kind of a good idea in its opening pages, but then we get into these plot devices, one upon another and the whole thing just gets boring while you're waiting for something to happen that you didn't see coming. There are pages of things no one can possibly care about.

While I agree with Goodkind philosophically, his representation of anger as a catalyst for heroic acts was to me contrived and a bit far-reaching as a means of power.

I understand the mastery of the anger and the conflict just fine, but it was inconsistent and sort of made me dislike the hero as not a mere character with flaws to resolve, but as one that lacked the fortitude and genius to master anything with his own 'inner' strength.

Ultimately, I just thought it was boring and full of trite devices that forced the story along unnaturally instead of it coming alive through story and character definition.

In my opinion a good yarn is present when one never thinks of the technicality of a story while one IS READING IT. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
The TV series Legend of the Seeker introduced me to this book. I was intrigued by the Mord-Sith and Kahlan’s Confessor abilities. I believed the usual line of ‘the book is better than the movie/TV series’ and sought out the book.

As I started to read this I was surprised by how weak both Kahlan and Richard were, there is a stark contrast between TV-Kahlan and book-Kahlan. TV-Kahlan seemed to have more steel in her backbone angered by what she had endured at the hands of Darken Rahl’s forces but book-Kahlan was down-trodden by it all like she was getting ready to give up and die. I was also surprised by how readily Richard took on his Seeker status and by how quick he was to see Darken Rahl as his father’s murderer and as an enemy of the people. Richard was hypnotised or brainwashed by Kahlan’s mysterious beauty and was taken in by everything she said, he rarely questioned the truth of her words and went by his instincts alone. I think this is why the beginning of the TV series was so different, it tried to cover the holes in the book - not that I’m saying that the TV series was better, it had many weaknesses too.

The only other series that I have read that is similar to Wizard’s First Rule is [a:Jacqueline Carey|9237|Jacqueline Carey|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1205262579p2/9237.jpg]’s Kushiel series which starts with [b:Kushiel’s Dart|528997|Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy, #1)|Jacqueline Carey|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1233365991s/528997.jpg|2990010]. I could not help but compare these two books. Both had a couple, a male and a female travelling together falling in love and unravelling mysteries and plots to gain power over the people but WFR was the weaker and simpler of the two. It’s very detailed, all manner of descriptions are in-depth which I sometimes skipped. I didn’t need to know everything. I don’t want to be bored to tears by unimportant details or by every single thought that pops into Richard’s head that on occasion were repeated sometimes in the same paragraph.

The language used was at times quite juvenile and awkward especially when describing Richard and Kahlan’s attraction to one another. These were some cringe-worthy moments. They fell for each other far too quickly and easily, I can understand Richard was attracted to the mystery and beauty of Kahlan and Kahlan’s attraction to Richard’s lack of fear towards her but to fall for someone you’ve just met and know very little about was unconvincing. Their patience when dealing with each other was also irritating. They rarely disagreed or had an argument. Every decision was Richard’s to make because he was the Seeker but out of the two Kahlan had far more experience to make such decisions. She took the ‘mother’ part of being a Mother Confessor a little too seriously, babying Richard trying to control him - both his actions and his thoughts, she often saw him as a boy, with boyish expressions or mannerisms. Richard himself is too pure, too good. What are his weaknesses? His negative qualities? There has to be something that makes him imperfect.

Darken Rahl, hmm he didn’t really come through as a three-dimensional character did he? At the rate he went at killing and torturing, how many people did he think he would have left to rule? I know there are people out there who have no concept of what “reason” is but it’s fairly obvious that Darken Rahl’s attempts to rule the world would ultimately be self-defeating.

Zedd was my favourite character, though you don’t get to see too much of him. He’s a pivotal character. He’s suffered much loss and yet keeps a sense of humour. It was quite interesting to have his family (the good side) and Darken Rahl’s family (the dark side) intertwined.

Reading other reviews, I have to disagree with those who say this is too violent. I have read much more violent books. For instance, the Kushiel series of books by Jacqueline Carey as I mentioned before contain more violence. I think what people have to remember is that this is set way back in history, in a patriarchal society where women are not valued and laws can be easily broken and the innocent easily punished. I’m not sure if I’m the only one but I cheered when Richard shattered Princess Violet’s jaw and teeth, to take that much pleasure in his torture she didn’t deserve to live to become queen.

There were some original (at least to me) ideas like the Mord-sith and the confessors. I don’t believe it is the masterpiece it could have been but I can see why people like the book. The storyline is good but the way in which the story is told, the language used is what lets it down. There were some unanswered questions like how did Siddin come to be in Queen Milena's dungeon when Darken Rahl stole him for Demmin Nass?

If you’re a speed reader you’ll get through this fairly quickly despite the page count. If you are a perfectionist or have OCD tendencies you probably don’t want to read this, it will drive you crazy. WFR was in serious need of a proof-reader/editor who probably could have whittled this book down from over 800 pages to 600 or less just by cutting out the laborious descriptions.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Overall, Wizards First Rule is an excellent book. Once you get passed Terry Goodkind’s inadequate writing, redundancy, and sometimes excessive details, he writes an interesting and engaging story.

Goodkind spends a lot of time developing his characters and describing the landscape and history. Many of his characters including the Mord Sith and Confessor are, in my opinion, original. The characters are also very deep. You really get to know them as people because many of them have distinct personalities and interests. Depending on who the characters are you may have strong emotions (good or bad) towards them. The only character flaw that I have come across is that Richard (the main character) is just about the most perfect person you could ever meet. There seems to be nothing that he can’t do, which is a little unrealistic. Otherwise, I really enjoyed all the characters in the book.

The story is filled with romance, magic, and battles. It can be a bit grotesque due to rape, battle, and (well done) torture scenes. The story is very interesting, but can be predictable at times; however, there are some surprises along the way that keep you interested though not enough for the length of the book.

If you like books that contain a lot of magic, some unusual or original characters and creatures, and you can get past the writing and grotesque scenes, then you should give this book a try. I do not recommend this book to anyone under 18; however, I set my standards pretty high so some may say it is inappropriate for younger than 16.

I believe this is a good stand alone book if you do not want to read all of them in the series. I do recommend that if you like the book to read at least the first two books in the series. After that you can decide how much you are enjoying the series and whether or not you should continue. Thus far I am on book seven! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
I remember liking this more when I first read it when it came out in PB. It is an interesting new world with some very creative elements in it. Goodkind has come up with a fairly unique set of magical creations. Unfortunately, his writing is better suited to reading where I can skim through the repetitious prose which belabors any major point. At times, he pays special attention to motivations seemingly in an attempt to justify them. Some still don't make a lot of sense such as all the secrecy.

Other elements are ludicrous in their purity. The bad guys are just so vile as to be caricatures. While he actually says through one wise character early on that the bad guys think they have good motivations, the reader can't believe that from the way he portrays them. They rule through fear, sadistic power, & plain insanity. This is in stark contrast to the good guys, of course. No problem telling them apart.

Well, it was nice to revisit the world, but I won't be listening to any more of the books. If I ever do go further with the series again (I've only made it through the first 7 books & there are 13 so far.) I'll read them. I doubt I will, though. There are too many new & better books out there. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bond, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jeri
It was an odd-looking vine.

In this epic fantasy, woodsman Richard Cypher is still grieving over his father's recent murder when he comes across a beautiful woman being pursued by four dangerous men in the woods. He comes to the woman's aid, and she reveals that her name is Kahlan, and she has crossed the magical barrier which separates his land from hers in order to find a mysterious wizard, the key to stopping the tyrannical and evil Darken Rahl from opening the boxes of Orden and possibly destroying the world. The magical barriers separating the worlds are coming down, the power of the underworld is entering the world, and it is up to Richard to find the strength and power within himself to destroy Darken Rahl and save the people of Westland, the Midlands, and D'Hara from the evil Rahl would unleash upon them.
Contiene i due romanzi: L'assedio delle tenebre e La profezia del mago. La Spada della Verità è uno dei cicli fantasy piú amati e seguiti nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Finalmente in edizione tascabile, La Spada della Verità raccoglie in un solo volume i primi due romanzi del ciclo, L'Assedio delle Tenebre e La Profezia del Mago, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica e offrendo un'occasione irrinunciabile agli appassionati e ai lettori di ogni età per conoscere e apprezzare un'opera famosa in tutto il mondo. "Credo davvero che quest'opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta." Marion Zimmer Bradley "Un narratore di talento è una rarità, e Terry Goodkind è davvero tra i piú dotati." Anne McCaffrey "Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale." Booklist "Un'opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario." Piers Anthony

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548051, Mass Market Paperback)

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:54 -0400)

An unearthly adversary descends on an idyllic fantasy world, corrupting magic against good and slaughtering innocents, and only a single man can stop him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,969,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible