Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)…

Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1) (edition 2008)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:jrissman
Title:Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Books (2008), Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book, Use for Recommendations
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (k1tsune)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Kcart)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (leahsimone)
    The Good Fight by Justin Robinson (Justin.T.Robinson)
    Justin.T.Robinson: While different genres, both Wizard's First Rule and The Good Fight use an action-adventure story as a framework to discuss philosophical ideas of individualism.
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (VictoriaPL)
    Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon (and22polarbears)
    and22polarbears: This is the first of a trilogy by Haydon, all three books of which are of excellent quality. The preface to this book scared me at first, since it seemed a little too much like romance-novel fluff, but thankfully, I kept reading. I was not disappointed. I have leant my copy of this book to six different friends and recommended it to more. Everyone I know who read Rhapsody went on to read the whole trilogy, even my good friend who loves to read but avoids fantasy. Also, my friends who have read both Rhapsody and the Sword of Truth series generally agree that the Rhapsody trilogy stays strong throughout, while Wizard's First Rule is a great start to a series that ends with many sub-par books.… (more)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Kassilem)
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis (VictoriaPL)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (loriephillips)

English (146)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  English (156)
A great start to a fantasy epic. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
this book was EPIC! couldn't ask for more in a fantasy book! the Mord-Sith were frightening and completely ruthless. and RIchard's transformation into a hero was fantastic! complete surprise at the end at the revelation of Zedd as Richard's grandfather and Darken Rahl as his father! :O ( )
  almoskwa92 | Nov 4, 2016 |
Finally sat down & finished rereading! ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I really struggle to finish this. I would remember what was coming from watching the TV series. I just wanted it to get on with it. It felt like it was dragging on.

I did a bit of skimming. I didn't want to read in depth the violence. Was thinking that the Confessor's dying out would be for the best. Yes they make sure the truth comes out, but at what cost? They destroy the person's life. Even an innocent person's life as they knew it was taken away.

The first rule is funny - People are Stupid! But Zed acts like this is a big magical secret however, politicians and con men have known it for ages.

Rachel held my interest since I didn't remember her being in the series. I don't think I want to continue in the series.

It will get away from the TV show as it goes on I'm sure. But I didn't enjoy revisiting the first part. ( )
  nx74defiant | Aug 9, 2016 |
What I thought was going to be a pleasant Tolkienian there-and-back, depose the evil dark lord fantasy adventure turned out to be ...umm... not pleasant. Sado-masochism, rape, child molestation and suggested incest were prominent elements in the storyline. Good characters were always good - even when they were being bad - and bad characters, whoa, don't even go there.

Two things puzzled me about the book. The first contains spoilers: How was Darken Rahl Richard's father? After Zedd's wife was raped and killed (and his daughter reported as killed) Zedd sealed the realm and killed Rahl's father and injured Darken with wizard's fire - when Darken was 'just a child'. Was the daughter raped later, after Darken was an adult? Or did he rape her then, when he was a child? I mean, this guy was bad but aren't there limits? The second thing I don't understand is why I actually finished reading this dreck. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bond, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jeri
It was an odd-looking vine.

In this epic fantasy, woodsman Richard Cypher is still grieving over his father's recent murder when he comes across a beautiful woman being pursued by four dangerous men in the woods. He comes to the woman's aid, and she reveals that her name is Kahlan, and she has crossed the magical barrier which separates his land from hers in order to find a mysterious wizard, the key to stopping the tyrannical and evil Darken Rahl from opening the boxes of Orden and possibly destroying the world. The magical barriers separating the worlds are coming down, the power of the underworld is entering the world, and it is up to Richard to find the strength and power within himself to destroy Darken Rahl and save the people of Westland, the Midlands, and D'Hara from the evil Rahl would unleash upon them.
Contiene i due romanzi: L'assedio delle tenebre e La profezia del mago. La Spada della Verità è uno dei cicli fantasy piú amati e seguiti nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Finalmente in edizione tascabile, La Spada della Verità raccoglie in un solo volume i primi due romanzi del ciclo, L'Assedio delle Tenebre e La Profezia del Mago, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica e offrendo un'occasione irrinunciabile agli appassionati e ai lettori di ogni età per conoscere e apprezzare un'opera famosa in tutto il mondo. "Credo davvero che quest'opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta." Marion Zimmer Bradley "Un narratore di talento è una rarità, e Terry Goodkind è davvero tra i piú dotati." Anne McCaffrey "Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale." Booklist "Un'opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario." Piers Anthony

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548051, Mass Market Paperback)

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

An unearthly adversary descends on an idyllic fantasy world, corrupting magic against good and slaughtering innocents, and only a single man can stop him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible