Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)…

Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1) (edition 2008)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:jrissman
Title:Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Books (2008), Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book, Use for Recommendations
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (k1tsune)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Kcart)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (leahsimone)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Rhapsody : Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon (and22polarbears)
    and22polarbears: This is the first of a trilogy by Haydon, all three books of which are of excellent quality. The preface to this book scared me at first, since it seemed a little too much like romance-novel fluff, but thankfully, I kept reading. I was not disappointed. I have leant my copy of this book to six different friends and recommended it to more. Everyone I know who read Rhapsody went on to read the whole trilogy, even my good friend who loves to read but avoids fantasy. Also, my friends who have read both Rhapsody and the Sword of Truth series generally agree that the Rhapsody trilogy stays strong throughout, while Wizard's First Rule is a great start to a series that ends with many sub-par books.… (more)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (VictoriaPL)
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis (VictoriaPL)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Kassilem)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (loriephillips)

English (124)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (133)
Overall, Wizards First Rule is an excellent book. Once you get passed Terry Goodkind’s inadequate writing, redundancy, and sometimes excessive details, he writes an interesting and engaging story.

Goodkind spends a lot of time developing his characters and describing the landscape and history. Many of his characters including the Mord Sith and Confessor are, in my opinion, original. The characters are also very deep. You really get to know them as people because many of them have distinct personalities and interests. Depending on who the characters are you may have strong emotions (good or bad) towards them. The only character flaw that I have come across is that Richard (the main character) is just about the most perfect person you could ever meet. There seems to be nothing that he can’t do, which is a little unrealistic. Otherwise, I really enjoyed all the characters in the book.

The story is filled with romance, magic, and battles. It can be a bit grotesque due to rape, battle, and (well done) torture scenes. The story is very interesting, but can be predictable at times; however, there are some surprises along the way that keep you interested though not enough for the length of the book.

If you like books that contain a lot of magic, some unusual or original characters and creatures, and you can get past the writing and grotesque scenes, then you should give this book a try. I do not recommend this book to anyone under 18; however, I set my standards pretty high so some may say it is inappropriate for younger than 16.

I believe this is a good stand alone book if you do not want to read all of them in the series. I do recommend that if you like the book to read at least the first two books in the series. After that you can decide how much you are enjoying the series and whether or not you should continue. Thus far I am on book seven! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
I remember liking this more when I first read it when it came out in PB. It is an interesting new world with some very creative elements in it. Goodkind has come up with a fairly unique set of magical creations. Unfortunately, his writing is better suited to reading where I can skim through the repetitious prose which belabors any major point. At times, he pays special attention to motivations seemingly in an attempt to justify them. Some still don't make a lot of sense such as all the secrecy.

Other elements are ludicrous in their purity. The bad guys are just so vile as to be caricatures. While he actually says through one wise character early on that the bad guys think they have good motivations, the reader can't believe that from the way he portrays them. They rule through fear, sadistic power, & plain insanity. This is in stark contrast to the good guys, of course. No problem telling them apart.

Well, it was nice to revisit the world, but I won't be listening to any more of the books. If I ever do go further with the series again (I've only made it through the first 7 books & there are 13 so far.) I'll read them. I doubt I will, though. There are too many new & better books out there. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Very fast-paced, page-turner. Awesome book. Except one thing... the typos! Who edited this book? There's a missing word or letter, or a "for" when there should be an "of" every few pages! Am I the only one driven entirely CRAZY by this? I hope the next book I read of his had a better editor... ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
While I remember liking this book, the repeated use of the same outline to write each sequel turned me cold ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I loved at least the first 4 books of this series - hence why I give the first few 5 stars. I was sucked right in. However, after that I started to feel the plot lines were getting a bit repetitive. How many times can someone need rescuing? All in all I still enjoyed them and maybe I might even consider picking it up again to finish off the series - but only if I found them in a second hand shop. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bond, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jeri
It was an odd-looking vine.

In this epic fantasy, woodsman Richard Cypher is still grieving over his father's recent murder when he comes across a beautiful woman being pursued by four dangerous men in the woods. He comes to the woman's aid, and she reveals that her name is Kahlan, and she has crossed the magical barrier which separates his land from hers in order to find a mysterious wizard, the key to stopping the tyrannical and evil Darken Rahl from opening the boxes of Orden and possibly destroying the world. The magical barriers separating the worlds are coming down, the power of the underworld is entering the world, and it is up to Richard to find the strength and power within himself to destroy Darken Rahl and save the people of Westland, the Midlands, and D'Hara from the evil Rahl would unleash upon them.
Contiene i due romanzi: L'assedio delle tenebre e La profezia del mago. La Spada della Verità è uno dei cicli fantasy piú amati e seguiti nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Finalmente in edizione tascabile, La Spada della Verità raccoglie in un solo volume i primi due romanzi del ciclo, L'Assedio delle Tenebre e La Profezia del Mago, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica e offrendo un'occasione irrinunciabile agli appassionati e ai lettori di ogni età per conoscere e apprezzare un'opera famosa in tutto il mondo. "Credo davvero che quest'opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta." Marion Zimmer Bradley "Un narratore di talento è una rarità, e Terry Goodkind è davvero tra i piú dotati." Anne McCaffrey "Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale." Booklist "Un'opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario." Piers Anthony

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548051, Mass Market Paperback)

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:54 -0400)

An unearthly adversary descends on an idyllic fantasy world, corrupting magic against good and slaughtering innocents, and only a single man can stop him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible