Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)…

Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1) (edition 2008)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:jrissman
Title:Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Books (2008), Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book, Use for Recommendations
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (k1tsune)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Kcart)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (leahsimone)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (VictoriaPL)
    Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon (and22polarbears)
    and22polarbears: This is the first of a trilogy by Haydon, all three books of which are of excellent quality. The preface to this book scared me at first, since it seemed a little too much like romance-novel fluff, but thankfully, I kept reading. I was not disappointed. I have leant my copy of this book to six different friends and recommended it to more. Everyone I know who read Rhapsody went on to read the whole trilogy, even my good friend who loves to read but avoids fantasy. Also, my friends who have read both Rhapsody and the Sword of Truth series generally agree that the Rhapsody trilogy stays strong throughout, while Wizard's First Rule is a great start to a series that ends with many sub-par books.… (more)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Kassilem)
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis (VictoriaPL)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (loriephillips)

English (141)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (151)
some good ideas, enough that it teases me to read the sequels... ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
so... in the end I think this book was never meant for me to read. I really tried to like it but Ijust did not. i liked Zedd, Chase and the dragon allot but the rest... not my thing. My actual rating is 1.5 stars because I can imagine that some people would like this book, I just really did not. ( )
  Mybookfile | Mar 15, 2016 |
Recently I discovered this quote from writer and literary critic Jorge Luis Borges:

“If you like the book, fine; if you don’t, don’t read it. The idea of compulsory reading is absurd; it’s only worthwhile to speak of compulsory happiness. I believe that poetry is something one feels. If you don’t feel poetry, if you have no sense of beauty, if a story doesn’t make you want to know what happened next, then the author has not written for you. Put it aside. Literature is rich enough to offer you some other author worthy of your attention — or one today unworthy of your attention whom you will read tomorrow.”

Terry Goodkind is a talented writer—I started reading Wizard's First Rule based on a recommendation—but to put it simply, this story is not for me. Neither is much of fantasy for that matter. It's taken me a long time to realize this. There are exceptions of course, but I've plodded through too many multi-hundred page novels before making peace with the above sentiment expressed by Mr. Borges. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Mar 9, 2016 |
A really fantastic beginning to a very long series. Richard is a simple woodsman who just wants to live in peace, but when a woman in distress crashes into his life he's forced to use all his skills to survive. I loved the clash of cultures and assumptions that ensue between Richard and Kahlan, and I love the growing respect between them. Richard's crash-course in how the outer world works is a great read; it's informative without being an infodump, and tells as much about Richard's character as it does Kahlan's country. This is a true adventure story. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Enjoyed this book, but the whole BDSM vibe was a little heavy for me. Fun, but not enough to read more. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Feb 3, 2016 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bond, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jeri
It was an odd-looking vine.

In this epic fantasy, woodsman Richard Cypher is still grieving over his father's recent murder when he comes across a beautiful woman being pursued by four dangerous men in the woods. He comes to the woman's aid, and she reveals that her name is Kahlan, and she has crossed the magical barrier which separates his land from hers in order to find a mysterious wizard, the key to stopping the tyrannical and evil Darken Rahl from opening the boxes of Orden and possibly destroying the world. The magical barriers separating the worlds are coming down, the power of the underworld is entering the world, and it is up to Richard to find the strength and power within himself to destroy Darken Rahl and save the people of Westland, the Midlands, and D'Hara from the evil Rahl would unleash upon them.
Contiene i due romanzi: L'assedio delle tenebre e La profezia del mago. La Spada della Verità è uno dei cicli fantasy piú amati e seguiti nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Finalmente in edizione tascabile, La Spada della Verità raccoglie in un solo volume i primi due romanzi del ciclo, L'Assedio delle Tenebre e La Profezia del Mago, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica e offrendo un'occasione irrinunciabile agli appassionati e ai lettori di ogni età per conoscere e apprezzare un'opera famosa in tutto il mondo. "Credo davvero che quest'opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta." Marion Zimmer Bradley "Un narratore di talento è una rarità, e Terry Goodkind è davvero tra i piú dotati." Anne McCaffrey "Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale." Booklist "Un'opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario." Piers Anthony

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548051, Mass Market Paperback)

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

An unearthly adversary descends on an idyllic fantasy world, corrupting magic against good and slaughtering innocents, and only a single man can stop him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,954,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible