Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)…

Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1) (edition 2008)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:jrissman
Title:Wizard's First Rule (The Sword of Truth #1)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Books (2008), Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book, Use for Recommendations
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (k1tsune)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Kcart)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (leahsimone)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Rhapsody : Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon (and22polarbears)
    and22polarbears: This is the first of a trilogy by Haydon, all three books of which are of excellent quality. The preface to this book scared me at first, since it seemed a little too much like romance-novel fluff, but thankfully, I kept reading. I was not disappointed. I have leant my copy of this book to six different friends and recommended it to more. Everyone I know who read Rhapsody went on to read the whole trilogy, even my good friend who loves to read but avoids fantasy. Also, my friends who have read both Rhapsody and the Sword of Truth series generally agree that the Rhapsody trilogy stays strong throughout, while Wizard's First Rule is a great start to a series that ends with many sub-par books.… (more)
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (VictoriaPL)
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis (VictoriaPL)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Kassilem)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (loriephillips)

English (121)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (130)
While I remember liking this book, the repeated use of the same outline to write each sequel turned me cold ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I loved at least the first 4 books of this series - hence why I give the first few 5 stars. I was sucked right in. However, after that I started to feel the plot lines were getting a bit repetitive. How many times can someone need rescuing? All in all I still enjoyed them and maybe I might even consider picking it up again to finish off the series - but only if I found them in a second hand shop. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I give 3 stars to Wizard's First Rule (the first book), but this review refers to the SOT series through book 9.

Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule was great! Except for the actual First Rule ("People are Stupid"), which was...stupid. The story had so many unique and fascinating characters (especially the secondary ones). I was in love with Richard; I wanted to be a Mord-Sith. The next couple of books of The Sword of Truth were pretty good, too.

Then... I don’t know what happened... it just TOTALLY lost it. The writing style became incredibly annoying and Richard was getting WAY too preachy (constant Ayn Rand-ish humanistic ranting). But, I kept going because I was really invested by this time. And each time I bought one of his $25 hardback books, I found myself rolling my eyes at every passive sentence and starting to fall asleep during the sermons (when did Richard hire a speech writer??).

And the plot really got ssslllllloooowwww (just look at the book covers for Chainfire and Phantom — you can tell we're not going anywhere). But the weirdest thing is that I kept buying these 1 star books! I can’t explain my behavior, except to say that Terry Goodkind is (was) a master at plot and characterization (truly, his secondary characters are so well done). So I kept thinking that things would get better, but they did not. How did he pull off that excellent first booK?? I've learned from this experience that I can put down a book if it's not good. There's too much good literature to read.

According to Mr Goodkind, those of us who have bailed out are ignorant and uneducated. Wow. That is something I have never been called before. I should have realized right from the start ("Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid") what kind of fellow Terry Goodkind is. Here is a quote from a chat session conducted with Mr Goodkind (this used to be on his website, but has now been removed. It is well-documented on the internet, however.):

"Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good — much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them." —Terry Goodkind

I say Terry Goodkind is the one acting like a school child having a tantrum. I regret that he got so much of my money. I hope you won't give him any of yours. If you really want to try a Goodkind book, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out the first few, and then trust me that you don't need to read any further. I will not read the last book. I'm not even tempted. What an ass.
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
What is the Wizards first Rule? Simple, Man is stupid they will believe anything that you tell them if you make it believable enough even if it is not the truth. This book is about a man that finds out that he is more then he seems. I really enjoyed this book but, I like wizards and magic. ( )
  sallyawolf | Feb 5, 2014 |
Okay, I have been bugged for years from numerous people to read this book, been told what an excellent book it is. My son even gave me a copy of it and told me how highly he thought of it. Normally this would either make me run in the opposite direction thinking I would need a PhD to understand it, be intrigueed or be a bit nervous. None of those really applied here.

Its not that there isn't a good story here. There is. And I have to also take into consideration that I "read" it by listening to an audio book on it. The reader, though he read well, did not add much to the story. The voices he gave people were either whiny or monochromatic. The basic story is decent, the characters not unique, but interesting. Its a sort of fantasy knight's tale with wizards and enchantresses and people using and afraid of magic.

Nevertheless, the main thing that needs to be done with this book is for a good editor to take an industrial wordwhacker to it! Its absolute biggest failing is its overwhelming and unnecessary wordiness. You could probably cut the book in half by eliminating the times you are reminded (in detail, long drawn out, exhausting detail) scenes you had already read in detail (almost the same long drawn out exhausting detail) Then there is the excessive telling and lack of showing. You are instructed why the character feels the way they do, complete with a history (often a repeat of something else identical discussed earlier)

However, the story was interesting enough that I did suffer through all the pain and frustrations of its unnecessary length. I doubt that I would have made it to the end if I had read it as opposed to having it read on my car stereo. I looked at other reviews when I was nearing the end of the book and found that I was not the only one that held the opinions I did on the book. Maybe if the writer had invested the time he used to write all those excessive passages to rewriting the ones he was duplicating in a more memorable way, the reader could have figured it out on their own without being brow beat with the same information dozens of time and could have stayed immersed in the world he was creating instead of cursing, "Not this AGAIN!"

I'm still trying to decide if I am going to attempt the second book to see how much was the reader versus the book, but I doubt I will find it to be significant. I'm not too worried about giving such a poor review on this book. Its been around for a long time and there's enough fans that I doubt my thoughts will harm his reputation. ( )
  sephibitchwitch | Jan 16, 2014 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bond, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jeri
It was an odd-looking vine.

In this epic fantasy, woodsman Richard Cypher is still grieving over his father's recent murder when he comes across a beautiful woman being pursued by four dangerous men in the woods. He comes to the woman's aid, and she reveals that her name is Kahlan, and she has crossed the magical barrier which separates his land from hers in order to find a mysterious wizard, the key to stopping the tyrannical and evil Darken Rahl from opening the boxes of Orden and possibly destroying the world. The magical barriers separating the worlds are coming down, the power of the underworld is entering the world, and it is up to Richard to find the strength and power within himself to destroy Darken Rahl and save the people of Westland, the Midlands, and D'Hara from the evil Rahl would unleash upon them.
Contiene i due romanzi: L'assedio delle tenebre e La profezia del mago. La Spada della Verità è uno dei cicli fantasy piú amati e seguiti nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Finalmente in edizione tascabile, La Spada della Verità raccoglie in un solo volume i primi due romanzi del ciclo, L'Assedio delle Tenebre e La Profezia del Mago, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica e offrendo un'occasione irrinunciabile agli appassionati e ai lettori di ogni età per conoscere e apprezzare un'opera famosa in tutto il mondo. "Credo davvero che quest'opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta." Marion Zimmer Bradley "Un narratore di talento è una rarità, e Terry Goodkind è davvero tra i piú dotati." Anne McCaffrey "Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale." Booklist "Un'opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario." Piers Anthony

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548051, Mass Market Paperback)

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:54 -0400)

An unearthly adversary descends on an idyllic fantasy world, corrupting magic against good and slaughtering innocents, and only a single man can stop him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible