My Friend Leonard by James Frey

My Friend Leonard

by James Frey

English (39)  Swedish (1)  All languages (40)
I absolutely loved this book. Once I started reading it I just could not put it down. It was one of the best books that I have read! So touching, so loving, so wonderful! Would definitely recommend and would likely read it again that's how great it was! ( )
  diananagy | Jul 1, 2014 |
Was a good book overall. Almost put it down after the first little bit, glad I stuck with it. Having not read the first book at this point I was not like some of the other reviewers and did not cry at the end. This follows James after he leaves rehab and tries to rebuild his life. He gets much help from his friend Leonard whom the book is titled. James does not fall back into his old ways even though many trials and tribulations come his way. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jun 1, 2014 |
James Frey followed up "A Million Little Pieces" masterfully. I still have yet to read Frey's first fictional novel but after finishing his second memoir (admittedly not 100% true), I have hope that he might be one of my favorite authors. There's just something about his writing style that I find refreshing and easy to fly through. I finished this in about a week as I had a hard time putting it down - great read. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
good... not as good as his first. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
The sequel to A Million Little Pieces follows the life and death struggle of James as he fights to maintain his sobriety. It is an honest portrayal of the recovery process and the long-term effects of addiction. ( )
  poetreegirl | Feb 25, 2013 |

By the same author of "A Million Little Pieces"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:26 -0400)

The New York Times bestselling follow-up to A Million Little Pieces - the heartrending story of a friendship between a newly-sober James and Leonard, the charismatic, high-living mobster he met in rehab Perhaps the most unconventional and literally breathtaking father-son story you'll ever read, My Friend Leonard pulls you immediately and deeply into a relationship as unusual as it is inspiring. The father figure is Leonard, the high-living, recovering coke addict "West Coast Director of a large Italian-American finance firm" (read: mobster) who helped to keep James Frey clean in A Million Little Pieces. The son is, of course, James, damaged perhaps beyond repair by years of crack and alcohol addiction-and by more than a few cruel tricks of fate. James embarks on his post-rehab existence in Chicago emotionally devastated, broke, and afraid to get close to other people. But then Leonard comes back into his life, and everything changes. Leonard offers his "son" lucrative-if illegal and slightly dangerous-employment. He teaches James to enjoy life, sober, for the first time. He instructs him in the art of "living boldly," pushes him to pursue his passion for writing, and provides a watchful and supportive veil of protection under which James can get his life together. Both Leonard's and James's careers flourish ... but then Leonard vanishes. When the reasons behind his mysterious absence are revealed, the book opens up in unexpected emotional ways. My Friend Leonard showcases a brilliant and energetic young writer rising to important new challenges-displaying surprising warmth, humor, and maturity-without losing his intensity. This book proves that one of the most provocative literary voices of his generation is also one of the most emphatically human.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,338,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible