My Friend Leonard by James Frey

My Friend Leonard

by James Frey

English (44)  Swedish (1)  All languages (45)
I remember thinking that it couldn't live up to its prequel; A million little pieces. It's tough beating that. The book was good, but didn't shine until the last pages where I couldn't stop crying. The end was genius but the rest of the book was "good". ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
i cannot stand, literally cannot abide, the way he writes. it was annoying (but appropriate) in a million little pieces but didn't fit here at all, and writing this way here shows that it was less an artistic choice and more a lack of skill in the first book. to me, this is largely a waste of time, with terrible writing, no real depth, and a couple of partially redeeming or at least interesting sections that keep this from getting only 1/2 a star. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Feb 13, 2016 |
Not nearly as good as A Million Little Pieces. The ending was totally trite and kinda puke worthy. Well written but the absence of commas began to drive me batty very, very quickly. ( )
  CatherineJay | Dec 30, 2015 |
Nice to continue the previously started story, but the beginning is a bit too much for me. Gets a little better as it goes. ( )
  amineaitkaci | Nov 26, 2015 |
I remember reading this like two or three years ago. Lol, I vaguely remember it. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |

By the same author of "A Million Little Pieces"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

The New York Times bestselling follow-up to A Million Little Pieces - the heartrending story of a friendship between a newly-sober James and Leonard, the charismatic, high-living mobster he met in rehab Perhaps the most unconventional and literally breathtaking father-son story you'll ever read, My Friend Leonard pulls you immediately and deeply into a relationship as unusual as it is inspiring. The father figure is Leonard, the high-living, recovering coke addict "West Coast Director of a large Italian-American finance firm" (read: mobster) who helped to keep James Frey clean in A Million Little Pieces. The son is, of course, James, damaged perhaps beyond repair by years of crack and alcohol addiction-and by more than a few cruel tricks of fate. James embarks on his post-rehab existence in Chicago emotionally devastated, broke, and afraid to get close to other people. But then Leonard comes back into his life, and everything changes. Leonard offers his "son" lucrative-if illegal and slightly dangerous-employment. He teaches James to enjoy life, sober, for the first time. He instructs him in the art of "living boldly," pushes him to pursue his passion for writing, and provides a watchful and supportive veil of protection under which James can get his life together. Both Leonard's and James's careers flourish ... but then Leonard vanishes. When the reasons behind his mysterious absence are revealed, the book opens up in unexpected emotional ways. My Friend Leonard showcases a brilliant and energetic young writer rising to important new challenges-displaying surprising warmth, humor, and maturity-without losing his intensity. This book proves that one of the most provocative literary voices of his generation is also one of the most emphatically human.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,821,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible