My Friend Leonard by James Frey

My Friend Leonard

by James Frey

English (40)  Swedish (1)  All languages (41)
It's been quite a few years since I read A Million Little Pieces. Despite the controversy, I liked it a lot & felt that James Frey was a good writer. A few years later, I read Bright Shiny Morning, liked that one a lot, & felt justified in thinking that he was a good writer. So now I just finished Leonard, and yes, in my book, he's 3 for 3. Am I bothered that a couple of these books were marketed as memoir but later revealed to be fabricated to a degree? Yes, a little bit, because when you read something like this, you really start to root for the underdog & you start to feel like you really know the characters & you almost form a relationship with them. When you discover it's (partially) fiction, there's a little bit of let-down. But ultimately, it didn't take away the enjoyment of these books for me. True or not, James Frey is a good storyteller.

I honestly don't remember a lot of detail about Leonard in Frey's first book. But in this one, his personality really comes out. He acts as a father to James, comes to his aid when needed, and although is somewhat of a sketchy character as far as his job employment and source of wealth are concerned, he's a likeable guy. This book is read exceptionally well on audio (read by Andy Paris). For those who are bothered by the formatting of Frey's books (his run-together sentences & such), I would recommend the audiobook, where the formatting is mostly a non-issue. ( )
  indygo88 | Mar 7, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book. Once I started reading it I just could not put it down. It was one of the best books that I have read! So touching, so loving, so wonderful! Would definitely recommend and would likely read it again that's how great it was! ( )
  diananagy | Jul 1, 2014 |
Was a good book overall. Almost put it down after the first little bit, glad I stuck with it. Having not read the first book at this point I was not like some of the other reviewers and did not cry at the end. This follows James after he leaves rehab and tries to rebuild his life. He gets much help from his friend Leonard whom the book is titled. James does not fall back into his old ways even though many trials and tribulations come his way. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jun 1, 2014 |
James Frey followed up "A Million Little Pieces" masterfully. I still have yet to read Frey's first fictional novel but after finishing his second memoir (admittedly not 100% true), I have hope that he might be one of my favorite authors. There's just something about his writing style that I find refreshing and easy to fly through. I finished this in about a week as I had a hard time putting it down - great read. ( )
1 vote branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
good... not as good as his first. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |

By the same author of "A Million Little Pieces"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:26 -0400)

The New York Times bestselling follow-up to A Million Little Pieces - the heartrending story of a friendship between a newly-sober James and Leonard, the charismatic, high-living mobster he met in rehab Perhaps the most unconventional and literally breathtaking father-son story you'll ever read, My Friend Leonard pulls you immediately and deeply into a relationship as unusual as it is inspiring. The father figure is Leonard, the high-living, recovering coke addict "West Coast Director of a large Italian-American finance firm" (read: mobster) who helped to keep James Frey clean in A Million Little Pieces. The son is, of course, James, damaged perhaps beyond repair by years of crack and alcohol addiction-and by more than a few cruel tricks of fate. James embarks on his post-rehab existence in Chicago emotionally devastated, broke, and afraid to get close to other people. But then Leonard comes back into his life, and everything changes. Leonard offers his "son" lucrative-if illegal and slightly dangerous-employment. He teaches James to enjoy life, sober, for the first time. He instructs him in the art of "living boldly," pushes him to pursue his passion for writing, and provides a watchful and supportive veil of protection under which James can get his life together. Both Leonard's and James's careers flourish ... but then Leonard vanishes. When the reasons behind his mysterious absence are revealed, the book opens up in unexpected emotional ways. My Friend Leonard showcases a brilliant and energetic young writer rising to important new challenges-displaying surprising warmth, humor, and maturity-without losing his intensity. This book proves that one of the most provocative literary voices of his generation is also one of the most emphatically human.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,843,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible