The Last Noel by Michael Malone

The Last Noel (edition 2003)

by Michael Malone

Member:Mary6508
Title:The Last Noel
Authors:Michael Malone
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2003), Paperback, 292 pages
Collections:Finished

The Last Noel by Michael Malone

This is a terrific book. The characters are real people. With the story spanning such a long period of time, you really get to know them. The story is very well written. Its not overly dramatic or sappy. You just want to keep reading.

Being about the same age as the main characters, I really enjoyed the references to social changes going on around them. ( )
  grandpahobo | Mar 31, 2013 |
What a wonderful story of the infinite love in true friendships that last a lifetime. Incredibly well written with extremely good character development. This is a book well worth reading. Pick it up, you will not put it down. amazing read! ( )
  bookworm1954 | Jan 24, 2013 |
I am not one to make a point of reading seasonal books. However, this book was offered for free at the beginning of December. Reading all these Christmas remembrances really helped get me in the Christmas spirit. As I've commented on other books set in the South, I particularly enjoyed the glimpse into this culture, which was so different from my own even though the book covered the same years as my growing up and youth. ( )
  lbradf | Jan 13, 2013 |
A lovely love story between two people who never knew they belonged together. ( )
  Mary6508 | Dec 21, 2012 |
I finished "The Last Noel" three days ago and it's still on my mind. Why? Because I cared about the main characters. Having grown up in the South I have some understanding of the white/black servant mentality. When I was small, my Aunt Gin had a black maid named Easter (guess her birthday - she probably didnt know the exact date). I loved her to death. She cooked, cleaned and smiled. I Gin & I taking Easter home from work one day. She wouldn't sit in the front and my little mind wondered "why"? Her house literally looked one step above a shack. But I was small and "that's the way it was." As an adult, I've wanted to explore the minds of Southerners in that era. They dearly loved the people that worked for them but didn't question how they lived. Easter probably received a pittance from my Aunt Gin, who probably thought she was being very generous. * * * Thankfully, things have changed. Noel and Kaye's story helps us understand that. I get teary-eyed thinking of the ending of the book. Thank you Michael Malone for making these people and their story so real to me.
I suggest your reading Clarence Thomas's story, "Having Our Say" by the Delaney sisters, and "The Color of Water." They, too, will give you a greater understanding of the black/white experience. ( )
  CoraJoanBurgett | Aug 3, 2009 |

Award-winning author Michael Malone's The Last Noel is a beautiful gift to American fiction. In a deeply touching tale, The Last Noel captures the exuberance and poignance of a lasting friendship between a man and a woman from very different backgrounds. Privileged and popular Noni Tilden and Kaye King, the grandson of the Tilden's lifelong maid grow up and grow close as their lives come dramatically together through four decades of tumultuous change in a small southern town.

The story begins in 1963 when Kaye first meets Noni on the eve of their seventh birthdays. On that Christmas Eve, Kaye climbs through her bedroom window to invite her to come sledding with him in a rare southern snowfall. Over the next thirty years on twelve days of Christmas, they meet to share the passion, the sacrifice and the romance of a lifetime. At once exquisitely written and tearfully joyful, The Last Noel is one of the great love stories of our time.

A Book Sense 76 Top 10 Selection

"Noni, a white woman, and Kaye, an African-American man, grow up and grow together, as their lives intersect dramatically through four decades of whirlwind change in a small southern town."--Cover.

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,914,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible