Tonight I Said Goodbye (St. Martin's…

Tonight I Said Goodbye (St. Martin's Minotaur Mystery) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Michael Koryta

Member:gvmcgowan
Title:Tonight I Said Goodbye (St. Martin's Minotaur Mystery)
Authors:Michael Koryta
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 307 pages
Collections:Your library, Crime Fiction
Rating:***

Tonight I Said Goodbye by Michael Koryta (2004)

I always like characters who have good banter, and Lincoln and Joe were pretty good. Amy, aka Lois Lane, wasn't bad either. The story was interesting with sufficient twists and turn, and everything came together pretty well. My only issue was with Julie, I felt like her whole role in the book was too telegraphed by her weird behavior. However, her daughter, Betsy, stole the show from everyone. I will definitely give the next in the series a try as I felt this author has a lot of promise. ( )
  she_climber | Mar 3, 2014 |
One of those books that makes the point that the Russian mafia are the biggest, baddest bad guys around one more time. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link . ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
Witty dialog between the partners Perry and Prichard, and a fair amount of action. A not too intolerable variation of (nearly) sleeping with the killer. One wonders if the depiction of the Russian mob is accurate. It was enough to give the series a chance. ( )
  Darrol | May 15, 2011 |
Never thought I'd be reading a crime fiction series based in Cleveland, but here I am, enjoying it, and after having read the first book in the series now plan to read the remaining three. Joe and Lincoln are former Cleveland cops, relatively new in the PI business. They get involved with what appears to be a suicide and a missing spouse and child. But as the story unfolds the Russian Mafia, and a number of other bad guys rear their heads. The plot is interesting, good pace, weaves all over, delivers a bit of a twist, and a (not overdone) climax or two. The characters swap more than a fair share of wisecracks, but fortunately stay below the Elvis-Joe threshold. There is a faithful girlfriend who really isn't a girlfriend, but then again....This book rests less on motivation and character analysis in contrast to a Sophie Hannah, Mark Billingham or Elizabeth George. And it doesn't tie back to events of 30 years ago, as is very popular in a lot of crime fiction today. So I'll read the next Lincoln Perry (he's the narrator) of this (so far) four book series and we'll take it from there. PS: Can't say that this book awakened me to a long list of Great Places to See and Things To Do While in Cleveland. ( )
  maneekuhi | Aug 12, 2010 |
To Bob Hammel. For his teaching, guidance, encouragement, and friendship I am deeply indebted.
The last time John Weston saw his son alive,it was a frigid afternoon in the first week of March, and John's granddaughter was building a snowman as the two men stood in the driveway and talked.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031293209X, Mass Market Paperback)

Investigator Wayne Weston is found dead of an apparent suicide in his upscale Cleveland suburban home. His wife and six-year-old daughter are now missing. The police think the former Marine murdered them. Hoping to exonerate his son, Weston’s father hires PIs Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard.

Perry and Pritchard soon discover there is much more lying beneath the surface, including rumors of gambling debts, extortion, and a Russian mob that likes to wield baseball bats. But just when Perry and Pritchard believe they are making swift progress, a millionaire real estate tycoon and the FBI advise them to back off of the investigation.

Then without warning, another murder suddenly forces them to change direction in the case as they uncover a trail of deadly twists—but the most shocking secret of all has yet to be unraveled...

Tonight I Said Goodbye is a 2005 Edgar Award Nominee for Best First Novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:36 -0400)

Investigator Wayne Weston is found dead of an apparent suicide in his home in an up-scale cleveland suburb, and his wife and six-year-old daughter are missing. Weston's father insists that private investigators Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard take the case to exonerate his son and find his grand daughter and daughter-in-law. As they begin to work they discover there is much more to the situation than has been described in the prevalent media reports. There are rumours of gambling debts and extortion, and a group of Russians with ties to organised crime who don't appreciate being investigated - a point they make clear with baseball bats. With some assistance from newspaper reporter Amy Ambrose, Perry and Pritchard believe they are making swift progress. But then they are warned off the investigation by a millionaire real estate tycoon and the FBI. Just when they feel they are closing in on a possible source of answers, another murder forces them to change direction in the case.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible