Replay by Ken Grimwood

Replay (1986)

by Ken Grimwood

2,5061073,506 (4.16)1 / 111
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (Kichererbse, browner56)
    browner56: Both of these are well-written stories that deal with the concept of time travel in an interesting way.
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (SJaneDoe, dltj, HoudeRat)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (hyper7, ahstrick, HoudeRat)
    The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North (Alirob, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: A protagonist who lives his life over and over, remembering the entirety of it each time, with the opportunity to do things differently, as well.
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Life after Life and Replay feature characters who live multiple lives against their wills; the complications of dying and coming back to life form the core of each novel and create moving, sometimes funny, always thought-provoking situations.… (more)
    Rollback by Robert J. Sawyer (freelunch)
    A Shortcut in Time by Charles Dickinson (GirlMisanthrope)
    Flight by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Reincarnation to learn a Life Lesson joins these works
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (amysisson)
    amysisson: Another, very different examination on where our choices take us in life.
    Regression by Kathy Bell (infiniteletters)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (Daimyo)
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (sturlington)
    The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg (ostgut)

English (101)  French (4)  Japanese (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (107)
Waited forever for this to appear from the depths of the library's shelves but the wait was largely worthwhile - at least for the first half of the book. The premise, a man wakes up after dying to relive his life again from college on, presents all sorts of opportunities which the author uses well. It's only after he discovers someone else in the same circumstances that the book somewhat loses its way. Enjoyed it but not a rave review. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
Wow. This book blew me away. It didn't start that way. It was interesting and I definitely enjoyed seeing what was happening, but then, about halfway through it got serious and deep, and so very thought provoking. I finished it and then immediately wanted to go back and read it again. It's already on my list to purchase. It even inspired me to write my own story similar to this. That last probably won't really happen, or if it does it will just be a self-reflective exercise for a weekend or so. But what I pulled out of reading this book hit me incredibly hard. Maybe because I relate to always questioning the purpose of my life as a human on this planet and yet also knowing that it just doesn't matter. What matters is being happy, and true to yourself. Our life is ours and we should make the most out of it because we define what makes us happy, what fulfills us, not anyone else. The way that message is told throughout this story is good. It worked wonders on me. It sounds as though it's worked wonders on many other people too. Highly recommended! ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 26, 2018 |
I'm not sure what I think about this book. The concept of reliving the same span of a life again and again (and again..) is very intriguing but the book handled it differently than I thought it would. I actually thought there would be (minor spoiler) some huge scifi element midway through - like aliens or some mad scientist manipulating time - but that never happened.

And I kept thinking how realistic it was for fairly ordinary people to write a Pulitzer winning book, make a blockbuster movie or read so many books simply by reliving a few times. Especially since the 'replays' are fairly limited and not >1000 times.

The book comes pretty close to being 'great' but I just didn't like Jeff and Pamela enough. If those two had been better characters, it might've become one of my favourites. ( )
  newcastlee | Dec 30, 2017 |
I read this book on a suggestion from a co-worker, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The comparison has been made to “Groundhog Day,” and I don’t deny there is a thread of similarity, but the author take the idea and makes it their own. If you enjoyed that movie, and other simmilarly styled stories of alternative time travel and re-living your life, you'll find this book very readable.

The story is about Jeff, who dies fairly early in the book and goes on to wake up at 18 in his 1960s dorm room, and he keeps coming back at the end of each cycle. It’s an existential piece; and some self-reflection is going to happen whether you plan it or not. He does things we would all probably do: trying to change catastrophes, falling in love with various people (and of course “the one that got away”), changing mistakes that were made, using winning numbers to win vast sums of cash. There’s romance, adventure, a serial killer, and intrigue, all in a well-written, interesting take on the age old question of what you would change in your own life if you went back in time. ( )
1 vote Lauraborealis | Sep 29, 2017 |
Jeff Winston is 43 years old when he dies of a heart attack in 1988. But then he unexpectedly wakes up in 1963, back as his 18-year-old self as a freshman in college, with a chance to relive his life. And so it goes, with Jeff living over and over again, but always dying of a heart attack at age 43. Knowing the future, what will he choose to do differently each time, and will it make for a better life or a worse one?

I'm always intrigued by these time travel-ish novels. Each one I read seems to bring a new twist to the story, or at least an alternate way of looking at things, even if they don't always make complete sense to me. This one was enjoyable, albeit a bit dated, but I did enjoy reliving some of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. The plot reminded me of Kate Atkinson's Life After Life, although written with more simplicity and an overall easier read. The writing itself was adequate, although a bit cliche'd at times. As an audiobook, the reader was mildly annoying, but I could overlook that as the plot was fun enough to keep me going. Overall enjoyable, and one of those stories to make the reader ponder "What if....". ( )
1 vote indygo88 | Aug 26, 2017 |
For my mother and father
Jeff Winston was on the phone with his wife when he died.
The future: hideous plagues, a revolution in sexual attitudes achieved and then reversed, triumph and tragedy in space, city streets haunted by null-eyed punks in leather and chains and spiked pink hair, death-beams in orbit around the polluted, choking earth...Christ, Jeff thought with a shudder, from this viewpoint his world sounded like the most nightmarish of science fiction.
"Chateaugay, at eleven-to-one odds.
He sold the Chevy, his books, stereo, and record collection....
...Now he had to place a bet, a large one. But how?"
All life includes loss. It's taken me many, many years to learn to deal with that, and I don't expect I'll ever be fully resigned to it. But that doesn't mean we have to turn away from the world, or stop striving for the best that we can do and be. We owe that much to ourselves, at least, and we deserve whatever measure of good may come of it.
Rowland Damaris is NOT the author of Replay, Ken Grimwood is.

Replay is the account of 43-year-old radio journalist Jeff Winston, who dies of a heart attack in 1988 and awakens back in 1963 in his 18-year-old body as a student at Atlanta's Emory University. He then begins to relive his life with intact memories of the next 25 years, until, despite his best efforts at cardiac health, he dies of a heart attack, again, in 1988. He immediately returns to 1963, but several hours later than the last "replay". This happens repeatedly with different events in each cycle, each time beginning from increasingly later dates (first days, then weeks, then years, then ultimately decades). Jeff soon realizes that he cannot prevent his death in 1988, but he can change the events that occur before it, both for him, and for others.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068816112X, Paperback)

Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:44 -0400)

Jeff Winston has many opportunities to relive his life until he gets it right.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,832,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible