Replay by Ken Grimwood

Replay (original 1986; edition 1998)

by Ken Grimwood

1,995883,371 (4.16)1 / 79
Member:tamarajp
Title:Replay
Authors:Ken Grimwood
Info:Harper Paperbacks (1998), Edition: later printing, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read for book club

Replay by Ken Grimwood (1986)

Recently added bykatsmurph, buriedinsatin, JeanGoodrich, HollyC36, donwelty, Conni0806, Glire, private library
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (Kichererbse, browner56)
    browner56: Both of these are well-written stories that deal with the concept of time travel in an interesting way.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (hyper7, ahstrick)
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    Rollback by Robert J. Sawyer (freelunch)
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    A Shortcut in Time by Charles Dickinson (GirlMisanthrope)
    Regression by Kathy Bell (infiniteletters)
    Flight by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Reincarnation to learn a Life Lesson joins these works
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (amysisson)
    amysisson: Another, very different examination on where our choices take us in life.
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (Daimyo)
    The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg (ostgut)

English (82)  French (4)  Japanese (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (88)
This one is just wonderful. One of the best time travel stories I've ever come across. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Fascinating and thought provoking. I enjoy time travel, but this has a bit of an unusual twist. Imagine living your life over and over again. Would you learn? how would you do things differently or better? This one has stuck with me for years. Maybe it's time for a replay. ( )
  njcur | Mar 6, 2014 |
This is one of my all time favorite books. I've read it several times. Love it. ( )
  Blakelybennett | Jan 30, 2014 |
What would you do if you could live your life again? Would you make any changes? And if you already knew how history was to unfold? Would you take advantage of your knowledge to gain financial advantage? Would you try to change world events to make the world a more peaceful place for all to live? And what if you died at the same time, on the same day of the same year - and were reborn back into your past - yet again? And again? And again? With all the knowledge of all the previous incarnations still in your mind? Welcome to Replay. Mr. Grimwood paints several well described worlds of change, and the feelings of Jeff Winston as he walks through all of his incarnations, reliving each moment of his life over and over and over. Jeff's confusion, acceptance, and finally mastery of living these varied incarnations is very well written. The morale conflicts are extremely well written, with both sides of the conflict well represented in point/counter-point fashion. Very well worth the effort to read. ( )
  TommyElf | Jan 5, 2014 |
A man dies in his early forties, and finds himself back in his past at the age of 18. He repeats these 25 years of his life over and over. This was a good concept, with some interesting food for thought, but I found it unsatisfying. Each time he starts over, Jeff takes a different approach to his life, trying to get it right each time. For him, the most important aspect of his life is relationships with people: in each life, he looks for love with varying success. For him, love seems to revolve primarily on sex: I would expect that after living 100 years or so and being in several committed relationships, he would have a more nuanced understanding of the relationship between sex and love, but that doesn't seem to happen. In fact, it is surprising and disappointing how little Jeff's character develops throughout the book. I think this is the crux of the problem with the book: Jeff (and Pamela, another character who replays her life over and over) should gain more wisdom in their long lifetimes than the author was capable of writing. Grimwood tries to write about their growing wisdom, but fails.

Many reviewers have talked about how much they enjoyed the romance aspect of the novel, but I didn't find the romance to be compelling or believable. Jeff seems to fall in love very easily, but to have very little concept of what that means, except that he wants to be with someone (and being with them seems to mostly involve sex). Jeff has almost no male friends, and he tends to use and dispose of the men in his life.

[mild spoilers]
By the last quarter of the book, I found myself getting really annoyed by wondering, "What is the point? What is Grimwood trying to say here?" I found the ending to be very disappointing: again, I just didn't feel like Jeff learned much of anything, other than to appreciate what he has, which isn't a very profound lesson.
[/mild spoilers]

I listened to the audiobook, and found the narration to be very good. ( )
  Gwendydd | Dec 15, 2013 |
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
For my mother and father
Jeff Winston was on the phone with his wife when he died.
The future: hideous plagues, a revolution in sexual attitudes achieved and then reversed, triumph and tragedy in space, city streets haunted by null-eyed punks in leather and chains and spiked pink hair, death-beams in orbit around the polluted, choking earth...Christ, Jeff thought with a shudder, from this viewpoint his world sounded like the most nightmarish of science fiction.
"Chateaugay, at eleven-to-one odds.
He sold the Chevy, his books, stereo, and record collection....
...Now he had to place a bet, a large one. But how?"
All life includes loss. It's taken me many, many years to learn to deal with that, and I don't expect I'll ever be fully resigned to it. But that doesn't mean we have to turn away from the world, or stop striving for the best that we can do and be. We owe that much to ourselves, at least, and we deserve whatever measure of good may come of it.
Rowland Damaris is NOT the author of Replay, Ken Grimwood is.

Replay is the account of 43-year-old radio journalist Jeff Winston, who dies of a heart attack in 1988 and awakens back in 1963 in his 18-year-old body as a student at Atlanta's Emory University. He then begins to relive his life with intact memories of the next 25 years, until, despite his best efforts at cardiac health, he dies of a heart attack, again, in 1988. He immediately returns to 1963, but several hours later than the last "replay". This happens repeatedly with different events in each cycle, each time beginning from increasingly later dates (first days, then weeks, then years, then ultimately decades). Jeff soon realizes that he cannot prevent his death in 1988, but he can change the events that occur before it, both for him, and for others.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068816112X, Paperback)

Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:44 -0400)

Jeff Winston has many opportunities to relive his life until he gets it right.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible