dismiss

Never Eat Your Heart Out by Judith Moore

Never Eat Your Heart Out (edition 1998)

by Judith Moore (Author)

Proust was not the only writer to understand the deep connections between food and memory. In this remarkable book, as keenly lyrical about its author's life as it is hilarious and down-to-earth about American food, Judith Moore recollects the strange, good, and terrible dramas of her life and places them in memorable culinary frames. So much of intimate life has to do with food! - preparing, cooking, relishing, and anticipating it, and, of course, recalling its special flavors and intensity. Here are the mud pies she made as a toddler; the food she still associates with teenage sex; the first celebratory dinners planned as a young bride; the monthly potluck supper in a typical American parish; the food she taught her daughters to prepare; the sumptuous glories she concocted during the year she became an adulteress and was happier than ever; the fruits and vegetables she "put up" to restore her sense of wholeness and recreate in the dark of winter her family's summer pleasures. It is not just that we remember the past when we savor the tastes of the present - we reimagine ourselves for the future, too.… (more)
Member:lolibrarian
Title:Never Eat Your Heart Out
Authors:Judith Moore (Author)
Info:North Point Press (1998), 328 pages
Collections:Nancy's library

Never Eat Your Heart Out by Judith Moore

This collection of essays was almost a five star rating for me. It was so well written that it made me want to touch the pages and savor every word. (Well, not every word, hence the four star and not five!) Of course, since I grew up on a farm, I could really relate to the essays about canning and gardening and butchering. The author's essay about going to the county fair made me relive all the time I spent preparing for and going to the Oldham County Fair. I could see and smell the barns, the garden exhibits and the grease that hung in the air from the screen-enclosed kitchen. I could see all the brownies and angel food cakes baked by 4-Hers eager to claim that coveted blue ribbon. I could see the canned tomatoes and green beans. No seeds should be visible in the tomatoes so the jars were handled with such care so as not to loosen any stray seed. Green beans for the fair were not snapped - they were cut into even segments and only the best and straightest went into the jars for display. We were always in search of the perfect green pepper with four even points on the bottom to display. And the judges looked not only at the outside of the garments, but also at the inside seams. It must look just as good on the inside as it does on the outside. The ultimate was winning the chance to exhibit at the State Fair, where the competition was steeper and the pride even greater. The author talks about the Rodeo Queen - we had the Farm Bureau Queen.

This book brought back all those memories and smells and tastes of the fair. It also beautifully illustrated how hard it is to "go home," and see both how things have changed and how they have remained the same. I feel like I had forgotten many things about that part of my life, but this book was a gentle and sentimental reminder. I enjoyed it! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I really enjoyed my time with this volume. I wanted to try out some of her recipes for myself. And that kitty-kicking grandma of hers, well. She was definitely not so nice. The author seems to have been a much better mother than either of her previous generations managed.
  KaterinaBead | Jul 21, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible