Voci by Dacia Maraini

German (2)  English (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (4)
VOICES is a murder mystery set in Italy. The story opens with the main character, Michela, returning home to discover her neighbor had been murdered the week before. Her landlady is cleaning up the apartment and fills her in on the details of the murder. The book is filled with descriptions and at the end of the story the reader is still uncertain as to who really committed the murder as you have two surprising suspects.

I am not sure what I thought of this story. To me, I felt as if I was reading portions of different stories placed together to make a mystery. At times, I felt the story was attempting to be some sort of literary classic with all the descriptors and self reflection on the page. Then later it was as if the story would change course and I was once again reading a mystery, while at other times I felt I was reading an assignment for a creative writing course.

This story, to me, is filled with extraneous material that has nothing to do with the mystery itself. The self reflection, the turtle crossing the road, the cat lady could have been left completely without affecting the mystery. On the other hand though, I felt that the ending with the two options for the killer is new and different from mysteries I've read. ( )
  Teritree001971 | Nov 16, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 185242527X, Paperback)

If you're searching for something fresh in the mystery garden, this paperback original from the author called "Italy's most audacious writer" by the London Sunday Times might just prove to be a breath of spring. Radio journalist Michela Canova, working on a series of unsolved crimes against women, comes home to her apartment building in Rome to discover that her neighbor, Angela Bari, has been murdered. In Maraini's subtle, sardonic hands (aided by a smooth translation by Dick Kitto and Elspeth Spottiswood), the resulting story of the search for the victim's identity as well as her killer is anything but predictable.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible