Marcel Proust's Search for Lost Time: A…

Marcel Proust's Search for Lost Time: A Reader's Guide to The…

by Patrick Alexander

Since reading Proust can take years, this guide provides a useful summary of the books and characters which can serve as a "refresher" between books. I am just about to start book 4, and it's been months since I finished book 3, so the book summaries were a good reminder of "the story thus far.".

The short biography and background chapters are also useful. On the whole, though, there aren't any great or even new insights here. Mary Ann Caws book covers most of the same info found in these background chapters with more useful insights and fantastic illustrations.

I'm still waiting for the annotated Proust or something like Ulysses Seen (I realize there is a graphic novel version, but Ulysses Seen is also annotated). ( )
  aront | Jul 25, 2017 |
Very good introduction to "Remembrance of Things Past".

I use this guide to remember characters and situations when I resume reading this huge book: it contains very practical summaries for each of the 7 volumes, characters list and connections between them. ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |
I would not have enjoyed my reading of Proust nearly as much without this guide.

I can't recommend it enough. There are short and long summaries of each volume, character lists, historical information about Paris at the time of the writing, and a short bio of Proust's life.

This was what put the icing on the cake for me - this is what helped me put all the puzzle pieces together and actually get excited about reading Proust. This also makes you want to pick up volume one Swann's Way, and start all over again, which is quite a feat.

The only warning I have is with spoilers. If you are reading Proust for the first time, it is hard to avoid spoilers while reading this book. I accepted the spoilers so that I could gain more from my reading. ( )
1 vote BookAngel_a | Sep 7, 2011 |

An accessible, irreverent guide to one of the most admired--and entertaining--novels of the past century. There is no other guide like this: a user-friendly and enticing entry into the world of Proust.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible