The demolished man by Alfred Bester

The demolished man (original 1953; edition 1999)

by Alfred Bester

Member:TheoClarke
Title:The demolished man
Authors:Alfred Bester (Author)
Info:London : Millennium, 1999.
Collections:LT connections, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:20th century, crime, fiction, murder, mystery, novel, paperback, sf, telepathy

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester (1953)

English (75)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (79)
future distopia, written many years ago about a future that still hasn't come. Not based on gadgets and science, but mind reading. Really fun stuff. ( )
  Mrdrewk | Dec 2, 2014 |
Ӕ
  ngunity | Nov 23, 2014 |
I no longer own this book, but when I read it in the 70's or 80's, I thought it was great. A comment at Mulholland books reminded me of it. bit.ly/1ofQUgr ( )
  knowlengr | May 24, 2014 |
There are telepaths/psychics and since they can read your mind, murder has mostly become a thing of the past (a la Minority Report). Unless you're Ben Reich, CEO of one of the world's two biggest companies. The owner of the other is your rival, and you want to kill him for obvious reasons. How do you do it with all these telepaths watching? Well, that's the question, and it becomes a thrilling cat-and-dog game between the guy who may have committed the perfect crime and the telepath detective pursuing him.

At least it would be more thrilling if it wasn't so antiquated. Alfred Bester wrote radio serials and it shows. I kept hearing old episodes of The Shadow in my head during the dialogue. There are definite signs of its age -- a lot of the sci-fi tropes like common space travel that we know are implausible today are in place, and the storyline starts getting scrambled as you get further in the book. Suddenly everyone is someone's relative a la Star Wars. It felt like it was trying to get all artsy by making the page into a canvas and playing with word shapes. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 24, 2014 |
First published in Galaxy in 1951 (as a serial), and then in 1953, this won the first Hugo awarded. Timescape (a specialized imprint similar to Spectra) reprinted it in 1978. The cover of this book (mine, at least) is barely legible as "Timescape" since it was dark grey over a pattern of two toned grey (the cover photo I selected seems to have had that same problem).

Not all things written in the fifties really make the transition to more modern times (it's been more than sixty years, after all, since it was first written). I think this does. It still reads well, and the points it made then still hold.

Dammit, now I have to put it on my "need to read this again" list. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Dec 6, 2013 |

Pepper, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, ArviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viskupic, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Horace Gold
In the endless universe there is nothing new, nothing different.
"Tenser", said the Tensor; "tension, apprehension, and dissension have begun"
Its lucky for the world I'm willing to stop at one murder.   Together we could rape the universe.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679767819, Paperback)

In a world policed by telepaths, Ben Reich plans to commit a crime that hasn't been heard of in 70 years: murder. That's the only option left for Reich, whose company is losing a 10-year death struggle with rival D'Courtney Enterprises. Terrorized in his dreams by The Man With No Face and driven to the edge after D'Courtney refuses a merger offer, Reich murders his rival and bribes a high-ranking telepath to help him cover his tracks. But while police prefect Lincoln Powell knows Reich is guilty, his telepath's knowledge is a far cry from admissible evidence.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:06 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,486,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible