Give Thanks to the Lord: Celebrating Psalm…

Give Thanks to the Lord: Celebrating Psalm 92

by Karma Wilson

2.3 (1) 4+ (1) A (2) autumn (6) Bible (3) children (3) children's (3) Christianity (2) fall (6) family (3) God (2) gratitude (2) H2 (2) holidays (3) hymn (1) juvenile (2) kindergarten (1) Meditations (1) Old Testament (2) picture book (5) Prayer (2) preschool (2) Psalm 92 (6) Psalms (1) religion (3) seasonal (2) thankfulness (3) thanks (1) Thanksgiving (23) Wilson (1)

Celebrating Psalm 92.
  gnbclibrary | Mar 19, 2018 |
Give Thanks to The Lord is the perfect book to share with your family this Thanksgiving. Filled with the sights, smells and sounds of an autumn celebration, this book targeted at children ages 4-7 brings to mind the wonderful times of laughter and love shared with family and friends. You can almost feel the crisp air, hear the crunch of fallen leaves and smell the aromas of pumpkin pie and hot cider. I loved that the author repeatedly reinforces the idea of giving thanks to God by ending portions of her book long poem with “It is good to give thanks to the Lord”. Based on Psalm 92, this book is a good starting point for parents to explore that psalm and more with their children. The illustrations are colorful and full of detail. I especially liked the expressions on the people’s faces as they interacted with each other.

All in all Give Thanks to The Lord is perfect for Thanksgiving or anytime you want to reinforce giving thanks to God.

Recommended.

Audience: children ages 4-8.

(Thanks to Zonderkidz for a review copy. The opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Nov 24, 2014 |
This is definitely one of our favorite Thanksgiving books. We LOVE it! The best part is the pet dog, who never mentioned in the story, appears on every page doing hilarious, precious things, and seeming to give thanks to the Lord in his very own dog sort of way. My kids laugh and point to this cute dog and look forward to his appearance on every page that they even gave him a name: Pickle.
The only thing that kept this book from getting 5 stars from me (and I'm picky, probably unreasonably so) was this line:
"I can't eat more, but still I try." For such a beautiful religious book, I was disappointed that it celebrated gluttony on one page. Oh well.
I look forward to reading this wonderful book again, year after year with my children around Thanksgiving ( )
  patsila | Nov 12, 2008 |
Alex likes it, spiritual w/out being "churchy". ( )
  kbamnieto | May 7, 2008 |

Written by Karma Wilson, an established awardwinning author. In this heartwarming story that references Psalm 92, award-winning children's author Karma Wilson tells a story about the Thanksgiving holiday that hits just the right tone. Told from the point of view of one young member of an extended family, Give Thanks to the Lord celebrates all the joys of the autumn holiday, from the arrival of distant relatives to a cozy house filled with noisy good cheer to apple cider and the delicious smells of roasting turkey and baking pies. And just when mouths are watering, the family sits down, holds hands, and says a prayer of thanks to God for 'food and fun and family, all the wonderful things we see.' Young readers will delight in each tender rhyme as they learn to appreciate their own many blessings in this full-color picture book for kids. KARMA WILSON Her first poem was published at the tender age of six. The poem was ironically titled, 'I Don't Wanna Write a Poem!' Growing up, she had no desire to write. But Providence had different plans, and now Karma writes poems for a living when she's not busy being a wife and raising three kids. In her spare hours Karma spends time in the wilderness, lifts weights, cooks, and kickboxes. And she loves writing. Karma lives in Fione, MT. AMY JUNE BATES has illustrated dozens of children's books. She lives in Ann Arbor, MI, with her husband and their son, Evan.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

A boy gives thanks to the Lord for all that he has in this illustrated interpretation of Psalm XCII.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,321,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible