Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed,…

Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed

by Lance Carbuncle

I wouldn't say that Mr (Rev?) Lance Carbuncle and I are soulmates or anything, but I believe we share certain twists in personality. Really other than his fascination with all things scatological and his not liking Ronnie James Dio in Black Sabbath (or was that just his character?) I think we would get along just fine.

This is the second book of his that I've read and I think I actually liked it better than [book:Grundish and Askew|6774979] which was a more serious novel about scat (and maybe Ronnie James Dio too, I can't remember). This was just really freaking funny.

I wanted to call it "white trash noir" but it's not really that (maybe because that's not a thing? Is that a thing?) There's a bunch of metaphysical stuff going on so maybe "Trailer Supernatural"? I mean it's definitely in the "absurd", "gonzo" thing but I feel like it could be further categorized, maybe for no other reason than to create a category that Mr. Carbuncle can be made famous for.

So what I'm saying is read it, it's probably not like anything you've read before. ( )
  ragwaine | May 21, 2016 |
This book was described as humourous, which it had funny moments, but I found the book to be deeply depressing.
I wasn't turned off so much by the toilet humour [but why have a note for 'cutting the cheese'?] but the socio-aspects of the "loser" protagonist, homeless characters, knocking physical appearances of other characters, etc. was very shallow without exploring what made these people "losers". The drug use and depression issue being waived away by sterotypes when this archetype is your narrator is a cop-out.
If he truly thought of himself as a loser we'd get it by his actions other than "Hey so I'm a 35 year old who lives in his mom basement" as way of explanation.
This book is not Catcher in the Rye or The Bell-Jar and really I was asking too much of it.
The attitude irked me and I wasn't feeling the "Soo hilarious" reviews.
You can laugh with a character or laugh at a character and I wasn't in the mood to laugh at cliches of homeless people and aging bar sluts.
The TV show Arrested Development managed both tasks but this book didn't do it for me.

I can't stand these cliches of basing people's attributes on their jobs. My mistake for reading the kindle store description that the book was about a dog's roadtrip to Florida.
This story had some funny discussions between the characters but viewing women as strictly vaginas was too much of a turn-off for me. I'm not the target audience for this book. ( )
  peptastic | Nov 30, 2013 |
Was pleasantly surprised by this one. Had no idea what to expect, and it turned out to be quite good. More scatological then I prefer (and to be clear, this book is very scatological), but Lance Carbuncle is likable - and also comically absurd, self-effacing, and fun to read. A good book by a talented and quirky writer. ( )
  InCraigulous | Jul 14, 2011 |
[b:Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed|1802397|Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed|Lance Carbuncle|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1188560774s/1802397.jpg|1801582] by [a:Lance Carbuncle|824409|Lance Carbuncle|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1199929788p2/824409.jpg] is a tale of the ultimate road trip. Our nameless hero, a 35 year old loser living in his mother's basement, loads up a moving van and heads to Florida, with his cousin Denny, so his mother can be closer to her prison inmate beau. However, Idgit Galoot, our hero's basset hound best friend, chooses moving day to go AWOL, and after delivering the moving van to Florida, our hero heads back to search for Idgit.This road trip story has it all: sex, drugs, mormon tea, beer, exploding sombreros, too many Pedros, feral french women, extreme taxidermy, skunk apes, a hurricane, barfing buzzards, and a ride in the Bratmobile. [b:Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed|1802397|Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed|Lance Carbuncle|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1188560774s/1802397.jpg|1801582] had me laughing out loud throughout the book. Highly recommended for anyone with a warped sense of humor. ( )
  lpg3d | Jun 22, 2010 |
Usually I don't like books containing (i) dreams, (ii) pets and (iii) talking animals. So why four stars and not the minus three stars it deserves according to these rules?

Because (i) the pet only appears in dreams, (ii) the pet (sometimes) speaks in a scottish accent and (iii) for the first time I got a plausible explanation for the term "defenestration". ( )
  Georg.Miggel | May 15, 2010 |

Lance Carbuncle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,014,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible