Veronica by Mary Gaitskill

Veronica (2005)

by Mary Gaitskill

Ugh. Utterly depressing drivel, the whole way through. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I could not get into this book. Very slow paced-lots of description and no plot. Not my kind of book. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Edgy, and a little seedy. I think the frequent references to liver (both metaphorical and medical) creeped me out a bit. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
one of my all-time favorite writers. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
There were moments when I truly enjoyed this book and got wrapped up in the voice of the narrator, but unfortunately, there were far more sections where I was bored, and simply reading to read. Simply, the narrator is herself apathetic enough that it's far too easy for readers to find themselves feeling the same way, and just not caring about what happens going forward. In the end, I felt that the title came from the fact that the book is something of a character study of two women, albeit one that takes time to even move into a phase of discovery; as a result, I found the characters and writing interesting...but as far as the novel as a whole goes, I just never found myself in a position where I really cared about moving forward with the story or discovering the next step on the so-called plot. Simply, I wouldn't recommend this one. It wasn't bad...but then, it wasn't much of anything. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Aug 19, 2012 |
For B.C. and R.D.
When I was young, my mother read me a story about a wicked little girl.
"I told them I loved them. Now I can't think why. Perhaps it was simply that , in each case, I was the woman and he was the man. And that was enough."
"I didn't realize how badly I had been hurt. I didn't realize that my habit of distance had become so unconscious and deep that I didn't know how to be with another person. I could only fix that person in my imagination and turn him this way and that, trying to feel him, until my mind was tired and raw."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037572785X, Paperback)

Alison and Veronica meet amid the nocturnal glamour of 1980s New York: One is a young model stumbling away from the wreck of her career, the other an eccentric middle-aged office temp. Over the next twenty years their friendship will encompass narcissism and tenderness, exploitation and self-sacrifice, love and mortality. Moving seamlessly from present and past, casting a fierce yet compassionate eye on two eras and their fixations, the result is a work of timeless depth and moral power.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

"Veronica is about flesh and spirit, vanity, mortality, and mortal affection. Set mostly in Paris and Manhattan in the desperately glittering 1980s, it has the timeless depth and moral power of a fairy tale." "As a teenager on the streets of San Francisco, Alison is discovered by a photographer and swept into the world of fashion-modeling in Paris and Rome. When her career crashes and a love affair ends disastrously, she moves to New York City to build a new life. There she meets Veronica - an older wisecracking eccentric with her own ideas about style, a proofreader who comes to work with a personal "office kit" and a plaque that reads "Still Anal After All These Years." Improbably, the two women become friends. Their friendship will survive not only Alison's reentry into the seductive nocturnal realm of fashion, but also Veronica's terrible descent into the then-uncharted realm of AIDS. The memory of their friendship will continue to haunt Alison years later, when she, too, is aging and ill and is questioning the meaning of what she experienced and who she became during that time." "Veronica is about the fragility and mystery of human relationships, the failure of love, and love's abiding power."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,791,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible