Me, the Missing, and the Dead by Jenny…

Me, the Missing, and the Dead

by Jenny Valentine

English (20)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All (22)
This was really good. I thought at first that it's a ghost story, being there's the word 'dead' in the title. But it turns out to be a family story, of coping up with the loss of a family member. Lucas's father may not be dead, but he may as well be for the ones he left behind.

I don't think Lucas finding Violet's urn was a coincidence. For me, it was divine intervention. It was like life's way of letting Lucas know what kind of person his father was. And in the process, it also helped him come to terms with himself, with his mother and with everything he believed in about his father. He may not get his father back but he learned to move on. ( )
  julietearjerky | Feb 26, 2013 |
A teenage boy is troubled by the absence of his father who went missing when he was 10. Whilst in a taxi office in the middle of the night he discovers an intriguing urn of ashes that were left behind in a taxi and sit almost forgotten upon a shelf. The ashes of Violet Park seem to haunt him and as he starts investigating her life he stumbles upon information about his father and how they are all connected. A refreshing storyline and an interesting and well told tale. Recommended. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Nov 9, 2011 |
I was expecting more action and not as much thoughtful thinking and miserable lives, but definite points for an excellent ending. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 21, 2011 |
Me, the Missing, and the Dead was a cute and funny tale of a teenaged boy who, in his soul-search for his absentee father accidentally stumbles upon an urn with the ashes of a mysterious old lady. He is haunted by the old lady and begins to delve into her past. In doing so, he finds out more about himself, his family, and his missing family. Valentine did an excellent job of mixing an emotionally charged story with teen humor and a hint of the supernatural. I loved it, and definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys books about teenaged angst, or who just likes a good laugh. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Dec 19, 2010 |
Valentine’s Me, the Missing, and the Dead starts out promisingly enough: Lucas takes a cab home one evening (well, early morning, technically), and becomes drawn to an urn left in the smoke-filled, gritty rooms of the cab company. Someone left behind the ashes of a “loved one,” Violet, and Lucas feels she is communicating with him from the other side. He finagles a way to get Violet in his possession, and thus begins the tie-in to his missing father, a mystery that has been unsolved for years.

Valentine’s writing style is certainly not high or thought-provoking, but she paints a thorough picture of Lucas. My favorite characteristic of Lucas is that he is witty, and that provides a fast pace for most of the novel. I will admit it does lapse in pace in some parts. Overall, it was a quick, fun, witty read, but not a novel to highly recommend. Also, this novel is a William C. Morris Debut Award Finalist.

3Q 4P M S

Here are some favorite quotes:

“I saw a film once about an alien who landed on Earth in a human body in a mental hospital. He had all this amazing stuff to teach everyone and he kept telling the doctors who he was, where he was from, and what he had to offer in the way of secrets of the universe and stuff; but they just thought he was crazy and pumped him full of drugs and he stayed there until he died. Maybe something like that happened to my dad. He wants more than anything to call us and it’s been five years, and wherever he’s locked up he’s not allowed to phone and he’s just waiting for us to find him. This sort of thought, and other variations, occur to me at least once every day. Like I said, it’s the not knowing that’s hard.” (9)

“To stay calm on the way out I made a list in my head of all the good reasons to make friends with a dead lady in an urn.
1. A dead old lady would never be judgmental or lecture me like every other female on the planet.
2. If I decided to find out about her, she might turn out to be the collest, most talented, bravest person I’d ever heard of, and I might sort of get to know her without the hassle of her actually existing.
3. I would get to rescue her, and I never did that for anything before. It sort of makes you need them, too, in your own way.
4. A dead old lady would be easy to like because she couldn’t’ leave any more than she had already.” (27) ( )
  amandacb | Sep 18, 2010 |
Okay so this is a must read. The ending was the best I'd ever read. I mean book endings always make me wanting more no matter how they end it. This ending had closure on a new level and I loved it to death!
added by tearsXsolitude | edithere, tearsxsolitude

The minicab was office was up a cobbled-alley with little flat houses on either side.
Me, the Missing, and the Dead was published in the UK under the title Finding Violet Park.

Lucas, a 15-year old Londoner, finds the ashes of a woman in a cab depot, and believes the deceased is talking to him, helping him find out about his father, who disappeared five years before.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006085068X, Hardcover)

Me: Lucas Swain—I'm nearly sixteen years old and live in London. I was fairly normal until the night I found Violet. Then everything changed.

The Missing: Dad. He disappeared five years ago. Nobody knows what happened to him, and nobody cares except me. It's enough to drive you crazy.

The Dead: That's Violet . . . in the urn. Speaking of crazy—I know she's trying to tell me something, and I think it's about my father. . . .

A dead lady may not be much to go on, but my dad's out there somewhere, and it's up to me to find out where.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:12 -0400)

When a series of chance events leaves him in possession of an urn with ashes, sixteen-year-old Londoner, Lucas Swain, becomes convinced that its occupant, Violet Park, is communicating with him, initiating a voyage of self-discovery that forces him to finally confront the events surrounding his father's sudden disappearance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,426,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible