Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Narrow Dog to Carcassonne by Terry…

Narrow Dog to Carcassonne (2005)

by Terry Darlington

2191253,142 (3.36)8

Ultimately unsatisfying anecdote about taking a canal boat across the English Channel and down to the South of France with a Whippet. Several amusing passages but it didn't add up to enough to satisfy this reader. ( )
  edwardsgt | Jun 23, 2012 |
Terry Darlington - as an author you will either like or loath his writing style. Yet for me, there is a charm to the way the book has been crafted together, Funny, very much so, but people who don't like his style somehow seem to miss the wry humour and pith. Daring or foolish in concept I have yet to make up my mind. But given the chance I would have been happy to stand at the tiller to cross the channel. Its not bedtime reading - because chuckles always bring a elbow nudge in the ribs from the wife if I disturb her sleep. This is a 50 nudge book. ( )
  Mike-Fitzgibbons | Apr 11, 2012 |
Ideal holiday reading, this is the slightly oddly (but lyrically) written account of a retired English couple taking their narrowboat and whippet from the Midlands to Carcassonne, via the Channel and all sorts of other rather alarming adventures. The style might be odd but the subject matter is engaging, especially if you know boats a little, and read-out-loud funny in many places. Pleasingly, there is a flamingo-viewing scene in Palavas-les-Flots, somewhere we have visited ourselves. ( )
  LyzzyBee | Jul 27, 2010 |
If you don't have anything nice to say . . .
The source of the above quote is my mother. ( )
  november | Jan 4, 2010 |
I didn't think it would be possible to write a book about narrowboating that would be totally boring. I was wrong.

edited to add:
My husband has now said that we will not discard this book, but that we will keep it on his shelves. He says my problem with it is that I haven't spent enough time in British pubs discussing things after several beers and other alcoholic beverages. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Aug 7, 2009 |
I am I: thou art  she: Jim is him.
T.D.
To Monica

with love
On the floor of the Star Inn Jim was fighting to push his entire body inside a bag of pork scratchings.

The hilarious and true story of two senior-citizens and their whippet dog who hatch, plan and carry out a “lunatic scheme” to sail from Stone in Staffordshire to Carcassonne in the South of France.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:28 -0400)

Terry and Monica Darlington are intrepid pensioners who made the surprising decision to sail their canal narrowboat Phillis May, 1600 miles across France and down to the Mediterranean, accompanied only by their whippet. 'Narrow Dog To Carcassonne' is a true story of high adventure.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,705,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible