Arthur's Reading Race by Marc Brown

Arthur's Reading Race

by Marc Brown

Summary: This picture book is the playful story of Arthur challenging his younger sister into reading ten words with a reward of ice cream! Together they explore many components of their town. Through their many adventures, they learn together that sometimes words can have instructive meaning than what they initially believed!

Personal Reaction: This was a very playful book! I love how it reminds me of my siblings and how we would challenge one another to make the other learn and grow!

Classroom Extensions: First, I believe this serves as a great tool where I could have students pair up and move to different stations in a classroom to identify words that were written on a small board there. Next, I think it would be great to put items that matched to the words at the same station so students could identify with the object to the words meaning. ( )
  CelesteJoy | Aug 18, 2015 |
This charming story follows Arthur and D.W. as D.W. shows Arthur all the words she can read. Great for siblings to read together, or for beginning readers. ( )
  teeney | Mar 14, 2014 |
Arthur and D.J. are on a walk and D.J. has to read ten words before they get home. She does and gets an ice cream, then teaches Arthur two new words. Wet Paint! ( )
  bekeelen | Apr 20, 2013 |
Arthur learned to read at school. He challenges his little sister to read 10 words on their walk and he will buy her an ice cream. She id and they enjoyed ice cream together. ( )
  bekeelen | Mar 6, 2013 |
This book can help new readers learn to read with the easy words that are in the book. It can be used during a reading unit in the classroom. I loved the book because it is humorus and it shows how D.W. is being competitive and wanting the ice cream. ( )
  Brittjj | Jul 26, 2011 |

Arthur promises to buy ice cream for his little sister, D.W., if she can read ten words.  The twosome race to the park, where D.W. is quick to recognize signs such as ZOO, DON'T WALK, POLICE, and ICE CREAM.  When she reads WET PAINT before her big brother does, Arthur is in for a colorful surprise!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:23 -0400)

Arthur doesn't believe that his little sister can really read, so he challenges her to prove it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,148,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible