Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Night Watch (2002)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (29), Discworld: City Watch (6)

Recently added bycbeausan, MrClub, BenMH1, OnlyWhenILarf, Siransi, private library, EmBot, tdotclare, KyraRaath, gkn.112

English (101)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (110)
The Discworld series is all good, but this book is outstanding. Pratchett explores the nature of law and justice and the role of a good man caught in a bad system. Lots of laughs, of course, but a bit more serious than some of the others in the series. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Vimes goes back in time and must resolve a time conundrum to make his" future happen. Vimes is getting old. Character age wise. Also interesting wise. Pratchett needs to move on. This whole book screamed "tired" at me. Sure, there were amusing parts, but overall, it seemed that trying to read it was as hard a process as Vimes getting up in the morning. The Discworld "ride" is slowing down and almost at the gate for debarking. I just hope Pratchett knows when to stop." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Night Watch Series: Night Watch Author: Sergei Lukyanenko Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: Urban Fantasy Pages: 498 Format: Kindle Synopsis: There is a War going on, between the Light and the Dark. Humans don't know about this war until they become "Others", people with extraordinary abilities who must then choose either the Light or the Dark. Anton is one such Other and we follow him through several stories as he learns and grows in the bleakest place of all, Russia. My Thoughts: I was all over the place with this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it, hated it in places, was ready to call down the fires of heaven upon Lukyanenko several times and was completely and wonderfully morose through most of the book. I was expecting one story. What I got was 3 or 4 and it worked well. Each story started out from the viewpoint of someone other than Anton and then chapter One would begin from Anton's pov and it was 1st person. It was a jarring change but I found it to fit perfectly with the tone of the whole book. One of the things that made me want to put this down was the utter and complete Dualistic nature of the Light and the Dark. Neither were evil or good, but simply Were. And Light always came off as the weaker [which it usually does in Dualism, see Terry Brooks Word & the Void as another example] and in fact Anton pretty much says so in the first story. That leads into how the Other leaders of the Light and Dark play games with humans, the opposite Side and their own members. Anton encounters this several times and it almost breaks him. I know it would have broken me. Anton. What a fantastic character. Drinking vodka by the *whatever large units one drinks alcohol by*, falling in love, doing his best while not understanding half of what is going on and pondering. I love pondering even while sometimes hating it. Recently, during one of the Classic Club reads, I told someone that I felt like I had a Russian soul, ie, I wasn't happy unless I was miserable. That sums up Anton and in many ways I felt like if I had to be a character, I would have to choose Anton. This was a translated work so it was tough to tell if the rough edges were because of the author or the translator. This book was by no means a wonderful jewel of literature but it was an engrossing look into the Urban Fantasy landscape. And unlike a certain Wizard (filed under W in the telephone directory - That is Harry Dresden, future me, since you'll probably forget), Anton's complaining and misery didn't wear on me. It was him and it fit like a glove. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

I listened to this audiobook on my latest trip to Fresno. Now, I’m always saying that I need to read more pratchett, and this was no exception. It made my next audiobook so boring I almost fell asleep while driving.

Nightwatch is actually the second Pratchett book I’ve listened to recently. I did Going Postal right before Night Watch because the library had it. And Katie told me “read night watch now! it’s one of the best!” so I did. And it was excellent.

Recently, Neil Gaiman wrote an article talking about how Pratchett is not the “jolly old elf” that everyone thinks. He is actually filled with rage just below the surface and it is always threatening to spill out. And you can definitely see that rage in Night Watch.

Night Watch is the story of the commander of the night watch, Sam Vimes, and how he accidentally goes back in time and helps start the course of history that led to him being the great Watchman that he turned out to be. Or maybe it was always going to be like that and he only hindered it by coming back. Time travel in Discworld seems more complicated than in other worlds. There is free will, but not infinite choice? History finds a way? We’re all part of a pattern? Anyway, the time travel was basically just the reason for the plot.

The plot involved Sam teaching the historical night watchmen everything he knows about being a good watchman. This includes going on patrol with his younger self. There was a good line in there about how when he saved younger sam’s life, he did it in literal self defense.

But throughout the book, you can feel Sam Vimes raging against the injustice of it all. He was torn from his life and family. People died who were not supposed to die. Criminals escaped, lame people were in charge. And the anger bursts out at various times, usually resulting in Vimes winning a fight.

While Night Watch was an excellent book, I found it a bit intense. Way more than Going Postal, which is about a con man who rescues the almost extinct mail system. Night Watch had plenty of puns and jokes, for sure, but it also has a background of anger and injustice that made me uncomfortable. I think that Sam Vimes is very much projection of Terry Pratchett himself, more than any of the characters in Going Postal. I feel like I have a greater understanding of the kind of person Pratchett is, since you’d have to be an intense person to even conceive a character like Sam Vimes.
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
2005 October 9

Sam Vimes is a most excellent policeman, the platonic ideal that is possible in a work of fantasy. Pratchett plays around with the idea of the past, both our own, and our society's, and dabbles with fate and bootstraps. Meanwhile, there is a psychopath to stop, and an insurrection to deal with, and the governing bodies of the past are worthless or deranged... I can't even throw all those words into a review and come up with anything funny, let alone, insightful, which is what Pratchett can do, and why he's such a good writer. I think Pratchett is a very good treatment for misanthropy. Yes, of course, people are stupid and unthinkingly evil, but they're still kind to their mothers or kittens or something. He's a bit like Jane Austen there, because he seems to think that no matter how hopeless people are most of the time, a thoughtful individual can steer them, or at least, reduce the harm.

Personal copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
A fine place to start reading Pratchett if you don't mind a few ''in'' jokes, ''Night Watch'' transcends standard genre fare with its sheer schoolboy humor and characters who reject their own stereotypes.

What makes the book intriguing is Pratchett's Chestertonian common-sense morality. While his blunt logic doesn't always equip him to deal with the niceties (at one point, he seems to argue against any controls on gun ownership), it allows him to break through liberal confusions and conservative certainties.
added by melmore | editThe Independent, Robert Hank (Nov 29, 2002)

Not a side-splitter this time, though broadly amusing and bubbling with wit and wisdom: both an excellent story and a tribute to beat cops everywhere, doing their hair-raising jobs with quiet courage and determination.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Nov 12, 2002)

Stories both trap people in a continuum and console them with images of beginnings and ends. Pratchett is a master storyteller.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Nov 9, 2002)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Vicq de Cumptich, RobertoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orosz, IstvanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sam Vimes sighed when he heard the scream, but he finished shaving before he did anything about it.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

-- Detritus learns about weapons safety (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
'It's not me, you understand,' said Vimes, 'but if I went back
and showed my captain this piece of paper and he said to me,
Vi- Keel, how d'you know he's Henry the Hamster, well, I'd be a
bit... flummoxed. Maybe even perplexed.'

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
Maybe the best way to build a bright new world is to peel some spuds in this one.
'One's got a lot of holes in his feet, one dropped through the privy roof and has got a twisted leg, and one's dead.'

'I don't think I can do much about the dead one' said the doctor. 'How do you know he's dead? I realize I might regret asking that question.'

'He's got a broken neck from falling off a roof and I reckon he fell off because he got a steel crossbow bolt in his brain.'

'Ah. That sounds like dead, if you want my medical opinion.'

(Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch had it all.

But now he's back in his own rough, tough past without even the clothes he was standing up in when the lightning struck...

Living in the past is hard. Dying in the past is incredibly easy. But he must survive, because he has a job to do. He must track down a murderer, teach his younger self how to be a good copper and change the outcome of a bloody rebellion.

There's a problem: if he wins, he's got no wife, no child, no future...

A Discworld Tale of One City, with a full chorus of street urchins, ladies of negotiable affection, rebels, secret policemen and other children of the revolution.

Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
When the lilacs bloom,
Vimes must do it all again.
Can he do it right?

(espadrile)

One moment City Watch Commander Sam Vimes is fighting a ruthless murderer. The next, he's thrown back 30 years in time when the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork is on the brink of revolt.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,631,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible