Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Night Watch (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:jamiethehutt
Title:Night Watch
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett (2002)

English (84)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (93)
One of the best Discworld imo. Despite all the war and politics and intrigue I found it easier to follow than most others. And I was able to see 'the big picture' of Pratchett's theme & vision better than in most others. And it was neat to see Vimes, Nobby, Colon, and Vetinari as youngsters, starting out their careers.

I loved this: "Vimes had spent his life on the streets and had met decent men, and fools, and people who'd steal a penny from a blind beggar, and people who performed silent miracles or desperate crimes every day behind the grubby windows of little houses, but he'd never met The People."

Exemplary. Makes a wonderful point about reality vs idealism, and about humanity and humans, pokes at politicians, and is both serious and clever at the same time. That's why Pratchett is worth reading, unto at least the 31st book.*

Another: [Our heroes' turf] "lacked all the big, important buildings... government offices, banks,... civic architecture. All it had was the unimportant stuff. It had the entire slaughterhouse district, and the butter market, and the cheese market... [they were being starved of important things like government..." Even I can make out the sarcasm of that comparison!

And [Sometimes those in power should abdicate] "to spend more time with their family in case they ended up spending it with their ancestors." Um, yeah, good idea.

*As I've said in other reviews of Discworld books, the first one I ever read was [b:Going Postal|64222|Going Postal (Discworld, #33)|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170621674s/64222.jpg|1636617]. I was hooked, and now I'm struggling to get caught up to that point in the series from the start. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
It's got old Vimes, young Vimes and naked Vimes. What more could you possibly want? A hard-boiled egg? You get that, too. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
my goodness. easily the best watch book, and perhaps my joint favourite discworld book generally (given that thief of time has been one of my all-time favourite books since i was eleven, this is High Praise).

"there is no more time, even for cake. for you the cake is over. you have reached the end of cake." ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Great story and even a glimpse of the young Vetinari. ( )
  rlangston | Apr 29, 2014 |
A fine place to start reading Pratchett if you don't mind a few ''in'' jokes, ''Night Watch'' transcends standard genre fare with its sheer schoolboy humor and characters who reject their own stereotypes.

What makes the book intriguing is Pratchett's Chestertonian common-sense morality. While his blunt logic doesn't always equip him to deal with the niceties (at one point, he seems to argue against any controls on gun ownership), it allows him to break through liberal confusions and conservative certainties.
added by melmore | editThe Independent, Robert Hank (Nov 29, 2002)

Not a side-splitter this time, though broadly amusing and bubbling with wit and wisdom: both an excellent story and a tribute to beat cops everywhere, doing their hair-raising jobs with quiet courage and determination.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Nov 12, 2002)

Stories both trap people in a continuum and console them with images of beginnings and ends. Pratchett is a master storyteller.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Nov 9, 2002)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orosz, IstvanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Noční hlídka (o ní pro ni)
Sam Vimes sighed when he heard the scream, but he finished shaving before he did anything about it.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

-- Detritus learns about weapons safety (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
'It's not me, you understand,' said Vimes, 'but if I went back
and showed my captain this piece of paper and he said to me,
Vi- Keel, how d'you know he's Henry the Hamster, well, I'd be a
bit... flummoxed. Maybe even perplexed.'

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
Maybe the best way to build a bright new world is to peel some spuds in this one.
'One's got a lot of holes in his feet, one dropped through the privy roof and has got a twisted leg, and one's dead.'

'I don't think I can do much about the dead one' said the doctor. 'How do you know he's dead? I realize I might regret asking that question.'

'He's got a broken neck from falling off a roof and I reckon he fell off because he got a steel crossbow bolt in his brain.'

'Ah. That sounds like dead, if you want my medical opinion.'

(Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch had it all.

But now he's back in his own rough, tough past without even the clothes he was standing up in when the lightning struck...

Living in the past is hard. Dying in the past is incredibly easy. But he must survive, because he has a job to do. He must track down a murderer, teach his younger self how to be a good copper and change the outcome of a bloody rebellion.

There's a problem: if he wins, he's got no wife, no child, no future...

A Discworld Tale of One City, with a full chorus of street urchins, ladies of negotiable affection, rebels, secret policemen and other children of the revolution.

Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
When the lilacs bloom,
Vimes must do it all again.
Can he do it right?

(espadrile)

One moment City Watch Commander Sam Vimes is fighting a ruthless murderer. The next, he's thrown back 30 years in time when the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork is on the brink of revolt.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,177,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible