Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Night Watch (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:sereq_ieh_dashret
Title:Night Watch
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:CORGI BOOKS (TWLD) (2003), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 480 pages

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett (2002)

English (80)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (89)
Great story and even a glimpse of the young Vetinari. ( )
  rlangston | Apr 29, 2014 |
This one is about Sam Vimes as he travels back in time to a period of revolution in Ankh-Morpork. He enlists as a Sergeant in the Watch working with his younger self and uses his experience in policing to defuse tensions and catch a serial killer. The usual laugh-out-loud moments but Pratchett also makes serious points about policing no doubt gleaned from his time as a reporter. ( )
  jerhogan | Apr 23, 2014 |
My personal introduction to Pratchett, and I'm very glad I started here. Because here we see the beginning of Sam Vimes; not 20 some odd years later where Guards! Guards! picks up. From the first bit with the young lady in the cesspool we are immediately immersed in the squalor that is Ankh-Morpork, but through Vimes's eyes we grow to love it as he does. Let's face it, too; Carcer is one of Pratchett's best villains. If you don't get the chills when they're cleaning out Cable Street, then you're probably not human. Sure, Vimes is virtually a superman in this book, capable of no wrong, but darned if I don't appreciate a hero, especially one with his flaws and past. ( )
  bradgers | Feb 6, 2014 |
Absolutely the best of the Discworld books I've read (so far...), with thrilling action, a refreshing change of pace for the Watch books, and completely un-put-down-able. Highest recommendation! ( )
1 vote unsquare | Feb 6, 2014 |
Discworld novel #3 under my belt, and still going strong. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Jan 6, 2014 |
A fine place to start reading Pratchett if you don't mind a few ''in'' jokes, ''Night Watch'' transcends standard genre fare with its sheer schoolboy humor and characters who reject their own stereotypes.

What makes the book intriguing is Pratchett's Chestertonian common-sense morality. While his blunt logic doesn't always equip him to deal with the niceties (at one point, he seems to argue against any controls on gun ownership), it allows him to break through liberal confusions and conservative certainties.
added by melmore | editThe Independent, Robert Hank (Nov 29, 2002)

Not a side-splitter this time, though broadly amusing and bubbling with wit and wisdom: both an excellent story and a tribute to beat cops everywhere, doing their hair-raising jobs with quiet courage and determination.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Nov 12, 2002)

Stories both trap people in a continuum and console them with images of beginnings and ends. Pratchett is a master storyteller.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Nov 9, 2002)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orosz, IstvanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Noční hlídka (o ní pro ni)
Sam Vimes sighed when he heard the scream, but he finished shaving before he did anything about it.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

-- Detritus learns about weapons safety (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
'It's not me, you understand,' said Vimes, 'but if I went back
and showed my captain this piece of paper and he said to me,
Vi- Keel, how d'you know he's Henry the Hamster, well, I'd be a
bit... flummoxed. Maybe even perplexed.'

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
Maybe the best way to build a bright new world is to peel some spuds in this one.
'One's got a lot of holes in his feet, one dropped through the privy roof and has got a twisted leg, and one's dead.'

'I don't think I can do much about the dead one' said the doctor. 'How do you know he's dead? I realize I might regret asking that question.'

'He's got a broken neck from falling off a roof and I reckon he fell off because he got a steel crossbow bolt in his brain.'

'Ah. That sounds like dead, if you want my medical opinion.'

(Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch had it all.

But now he's back in his own rough, tough past without even the clothes he was standing up in when the lightning struck...

Living in the past is hard. Dying in the past is incredibly easy. But he must survive, because he has a job to do. He must track down a murderer, teach his younger self how to be a good copper and change the outcome of a bloody rebellion.

There's a problem: if he wins, he's got no wife, no child, no future...

A Discworld Tale of One City, with a full chorus of street urchins, ladies of negotiable affection, rebels, secret policemen and other children of the revolution.

Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
When the lilacs bloom,
Vimes must do it all again.
Can he do it right?

(espadrile)

One moment City Watch Commander Sam Vimes is fighting a ruthless murderer. The next, he's thrown back 30 years in time when the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork is on the brink of revolt.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,327,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible