Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Night Watch (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:IcarusFalls
Title:Night Watch
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett (2002)

English (117)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (126)
As always, a fun ride - we learn about young Vimes and young Vetinari while learning the lessons of governments and revolutions. Not as good as Thud - I wish young Sam Vimes was more hashed out, and Vimes had cared a little more about the birth of his son; I would have also liked maybe an extra chapter where we learn how Vetinari came to power. Overall, fun, you can't go wrong with Pratchett. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I've been reading these a bit out of order, and I was a little worried that I hadn't read any of the City Watch Discworld, of which this is one of the later ones. But it turned out not to matter (at least not much). I quickly figured out who was who and what was what. And it ended up being a bunch of fun. The story was told in sort of a backwards way since Vimes was sent back in time and was reliving something he'd already lived through once before. I did get a little confused at times with just which Sam Vimes (young or old) was speaking, but it was a very clever plot, and I loved the characters. Death is particularly charming. ( )
  virginiahomeschooler | Jun 8, 2018 |
I am fond of time travel stories, but I was disappointed when I discovered that Night Watch sends Sam Vimes back in time. I wanted to see what happened to the Watch next, not spend a whole book in Vimes’ past!

Yeah, so it turns out that Night Watch is excellent. Tense and thoughtful and very, very entertaining.

Vimes finds himself back in the Ankh-Morpork of his youth, and there’s a job to be done before he can be returned to his future. He can remember what happened 30 years ago, but this time round it isn’t exactly the same -- it turns out that past can be changed. Change it too much and Vimes will no longer have a future to go home to...

Night Watch is about what it means to be in the Watch and about the often-unacknowledged heroism of just doing the job in front of you. It’s also about Vimes gaining some perspective on the way his life and his job have changed, which amused me given how often he has grumbled about his titles and privileges or about missing his days of walking the streets. Because along titles and privileges, Vimes has also acquired things which improve his life, like a loving wife, a comfortable home and the authority to ensure the Watch runs effectively.

He wondered if it was at all possible to give this idiot some lessons in basic politics. That was always the dream, wasn’t it? “I wish I knew then what I know now”? But when you got older, you found out that you now wasn’t you then. You then was a twerp. You then was what you had to be to start out on the rocky road of becoming you now, and one of the rocky patches on that road was being a twerp. ( )
  Herenya | May 14, 2018 |
Good, but not as good as most of this series. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |
Just when I think that they can't get any better, I am proved wrong :-)
  leslie.98 | May 11, 2018 |
A fine place to start reading Pratchett if you don't mind a few ''in'' jokes, ''Night Watch'' transcends standard genre fare with its sheer schoolboy humor and characters who reject their own stereotypes.

What makes the book intriguing is Pratchett's Chestertonian common-sense morality. While his blunt logic doesn't always equip him to deal with the niceties (at one point, he seems to argue against any controls on gun ownership), it allows him to break through liberal confusions and conservative certainties.
added by melmore | editThe Independent, Robert Hank (Nov 29, 2002)

Not a side-splitter this time, though broadly amusing and bubbling with wit and wisdom: both an excellent story and a tribute to beat cops everywhere, doing their hair-raising jobs with quiet courage and determination.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Nov 12, 2002)

Stories both trap people in a continuum and console them with images of beginnings and ends. Pratchett is a master storyteller.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Nov 9, 2002)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Vicq de Cumptich, RobertoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orosz, IstvanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sam Vimes sighed when he heard the scream, but he finished shaving before he did anything about it.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

-- Detritus learns about weapons safety (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
'It's not me, you understand,' said Vimes, 'but if I went back
and showed my captain this piece of paper and he said to me,
Vi- Keel, how d'you know he's Henry the Hamster, well, I'd be a
bit... flummoxed. Maybe even perplexed.'

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
Maybe the best way to build a bright new world is to peel some spuds in this one.
'One's got a lot of holes in his feet, one dropped through the privy roof and has got a twisted leg, and one's dead.'

'I don't think I can do much about the dead one' said the doctor. 'How do you know he's dead? I realize I might regret asking that question.'

'He's got a broken neck from falling off a roof and I reckon he fell off because he got a steel crossbow bolt in his brain.'

'Ah. That sounds like dead, if you want my medical opinion.'

(Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch had it all.

But now he's back in his own rough, tough past without even the clothes he was standing up in when the lightning struck...

Living in the past is hard. Dying in the past is incredibly easy. But he must survive, because he has a job to do. He must track down a murderer, teach his younger self how to be a good copper and change the outcome of a bloody rebellion.

There's a problem: if he wins, he's got no wife, no child, no future...

A Discworld Tale of One City, with a full chorus of street urchins, ladies of negotiable affection, rebels, secret policemen and other children of the revolution.

Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
When the lilacs bloom,
Vimes must do it all again.
Can he do it right?

(espadrile)

One moment City Watch Commander Sam Vimes is fighting a ruthless murderer. The next, he's thrown back 30 years in time when the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork is on the brink of revolt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,323,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible