The Stuff of Nightmares by Malorie Blackman

The Stuff of Nightmares

by Malorie Blackman

Not bad, but it reads like a set of short stories - just as it was originally published. I don’t think it quite works.
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Couldn't finish this book. I'd heard of Malorie Blackman and knew second-hand that she was a very good author, but I just didn't like her style.
The plot, now that I think of it, was quite interesting, but I thought it could have been done better, or in different circumstances. Most of all I just didn't like the way it was narrated. Too much first person, far too much. Most of it wasn't even necessary, though I suppose since all the nightmares were personal then it made sense, but not if Kyle was actually inside their head and watching them. Then the first person nonsense was rather redundant.
I'm actually disappointed that I didn't enjoy this book, and rather confused that I couldn't even make myself finish it. I did make it past half-way, however, and, naughtily, I read the last page. Probably wouldn't have been worth it, anyway. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
When Kyle is in a train crash, he finds himself drawn into the nightmares of fellow passengers, some who are strangers, some his friends. This allows for a collection of short stories - these are varied, but most are about death, and some are a little disturbing. This is definitely not for younger readers, it's not explicit as such, but there are some disturbing scenes.

The writing is good, and it's a gripping, fast paced book, and I'm going to put a couple more of hers on my wish list.
  michelle_bcf | Apr 22, 2014 |
I found the stuff of nightmares, great! Not amazing, but i read it all got glued to some moments others i just wanted to skip, but i didn't.

Some of the nightmares are well written others, not so much.

Worth reading though. :P ( )
  PrincessHeart1997 | Jul 13, 2011 |
I didn't like it. It seemed like it was written by a young writer who tells a story that ends with "and then I woke up". I couldn't see the senseof all the nightmares and did not like what I felt was an experimentation with a Death theme. A book that does this really well is by Marcus Zusack ( )
  camelliacorner | Apr 18, 2009 |

A brother and sister have fallen into comas following a rail crash. Death comes to visit them and asks them both to tell him the most frightening stories they can. They take it in turns, each trying to tell a more scary story than the one before to please Death, hoping that he will let them wake up from their comas.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,595,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible