The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman

The Gollywhopper Games

by Jody Feldman

3192134,767 (3.91)5

Recommended by Brooke Wilcox ( )
  ibkennedy | Jun 3, 2016 |
A fun, modern take on the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory theme. Gil wants to redeem his sullied family name by winning the Gollywhopper Games, sponsored by the Golly Toy & Game Company. Filled with interesting characters and tricky puzzles, this is a quick and fun read. ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |
My wife recommended this book to me, and I thought there was no way that I would actually enjoy it. But, I started in on it anyway. See, I'm not a fan of puzzles. Hate 'em. And, she told me that there were many puzzles and adventures in this book. I kind of glossed over the puzzle bits, but enjoyed the adventures and the vivid characters.

So, yes. It's a good book. A nice, fun story. But, I have to say, If I had known that the actual adventure doesn't start until after the 10th chapter, I would have started there. That's when the actual Games begin. Before that, there is just a lot of set-up. Who is this kid? Why's his dad in trouble with the law? As far as I'm concerned... Who cares?

It would have been a much better book, had it stared at the 10th chapter mark. For me, anyway. So, tear 'em out of this book. Stomp on 'em. Call 'em dirty names. Because, that's what they deserve. Those chapters are bad, and they should feel bad. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
My daughter and I just finished our second summer reading book, "The Gollywhopper Games". We both thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Clever, clever, clever, Anyone who enjoys solving puzzles and figuring out mysteries will be enthralled by this book.
The main premise of "Gollywhopper" is a contest sponsored by a large toy company. The contest is a series of games (puzzles) that must be solved in order to move on to the next level. Several thousand players started the game but the field was quickly narrowed down to 10. The final 10 players break into two teams of five and must learn to trust each other. The final five then compete in a series of individual puzzles that eventually leads to a winner. The puzzles are amazing and so fun to solve along with the characters.
Within the main story (of the competition) is another, more serious mystery to be solved. The main character's dad was accused of a crime (against the toy company that is sponsoring the competition) that he did not commit. The courts found him innocent but that does not keep some of the other characters from expressing anger and even hostility towards the main character. So not only does he have to solve the puzzles but he must deal with all of the anger and malice.
The end of the story is very satisfying. All the puzzles are solved step-by-step and very realistically. The final puzzle was my favorite. It required you to remember all your previous puzzles and then use that information on the different sections of the final puzzle (but in slightly different ways). It was so fun and completely occupied my brain for a bit. This book has my daughter scrambling to create her own clever conundrums.
The crime mystery (who stole the secret from the company files???) is brilliantly resolved as well. Without giving away any plot points, I can tell you that clues to this mystery were cleverly revealed through the contestants work on the puzzles. This was a lovely and unexpected plot twist in the story.
Finally, our main character learns something about himself, real friendship, and how sometimes friendship was there all along if we would open ourselves to the possibility. ( )
  pammycats | Jun 4, 2014 |
The Gollywhopper Games is to the toy industry as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is to candy. This was a fast paced puzzle and adventure novel. Gil Goodson is determined to win the grand prize of the Gollywhopper Games so he can leave all the drama that his life has become and move far away. Winning will not be easy though, Gil must tackle trivia, puzzles and physical stunts in front of television cameras. Oh, the pressure! I enjoyed this book it had a feel good kind of vibe and a good message. It was also fun to try to work through the brainteasers in the book. This book will appeal to puzzle fans as well as fans of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. ( )
  68papyrus | Aug 19, 2013 |
To Dick, Paige, & Cassie
and to my mom and dad
who worked to remove the rocks
from this long, long road
If Gil Goodson was to have a chance, any chance at all, he would have to run faster than he was running right now.

Are you ready?

Gil Goodson's future happiness depends on winning the Golly Toy & Game Company's ultimate competition. If Gil wins, his dad has promised that the family can move away from all the gossip, false friends, and bad press that have plagued them ever since The Incident. Inside the toy company's fantastic headquarters, Gil will have to master trivia, solve puzzles, and complete physical stunts—and he'll have to do it better than all of the other kids competing.

Oh, and did we mention that Gil's every step—and every mistake—will be broadcast on national television? Hold on tight, because the ride of his life is about to begin!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Gil Goodson competes against thousands of other children at extraordinary puzzles, stunts, and more in hopes of a fresh start for his family, which has been ostracized since his father was falsely accused of embezzling from Golly Toy and Game Company.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible