The Chocolate Cat by Sue Stainton

The Chocolate Cat

by Sue Stainton

After greatly enjoying Sue Stainton and Anne Mortimer's Santa's Snow Cat (not to mention Anne Mortimer's illustrations for A Pussycat's Christmas), I was eager to pick up another joint venture from this talented author/illustrator team, and The Chocolate Cat seemed like a natural choice. Stainton and Mortimer? Chocolate and cats? What's not to love?!? The engaging tale of a grim chocolatier whose life is changed by Cat - the none-too-friendly feline who shares his shop and his life - it is also the story of the transformation of an entire village, from a drab little no-account place, to a vibrant community of friends. All through the magic of chocolate (and cats), of course!

You'd think that with a storyline such as this, together with Anne Mortimer's gorgeous illustrations, I would have been more enthusiastic in my response to this book, but the truth is that although I enjoyed it, I really wasn't as impressed as I'd expected to be. The narrative, while appealing, just felt a little too forced. Still, the artwork is beautiful - I can see why Mortimer is considered the "cat artist" par excellence! - and some of the treats described had my mouth watering. Recommended to young cat and chocolate lovers, and to fans of Anne Mortimer's artwork. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 12, 2013 |
Cute cat story for young children. Quality book with good illustrations. I enjoyed it. ( )
  hdzookeeper | Aug 14, 2009 |
In a not famous village lived a sad chocolate maker. No one much visits his candy shop. One day on a whim he makes small chocolate mice with pink sugar tails. His cat thinks there is something magical about them and starts taking them one at a time to different shops around the village and magical things begin to happen to the village. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jul 2, 2009 |

Sue Staintonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mortimer, AnneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In a drab village nestled between the mountains and the sea, an old chocolate maker lives alone with his cat, making uninspired chocolates to display in his dusty shop.

One day he does something different and makes chocolate mice with crunchy pink-sugar tails—but he won't eat them. Cat soon discovers there's something truly special about these little mice, and everyone who tastes them is inspired to create something new and different, something the little village has never seen.

Sue Stainton and Anne Mortimer have created a picture-book ode to chocolate and creativity!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

A clever cat helps his owner, a chocolate maker, to discover the magic in his work and together they transform a colorless town into a place of beauty and happiness. Includes facts about the history and production of chocolate.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible