by Alice McGinty

Other authors: Wendy Anderson Halperin (Illustrator)

Ages: 4-6
Pierce Public Library
This book is about 8 different kids from around the world and all the things that see and do everyday. Even though they are so far away, they all do and see similar things around the world.
  kwatson87 | May 18, 2013 |
A picture-book hymn of thankfulness for all the good things of the world - the wakeful sun, the shining blue sky, the rocking swing, the soft grass, and the dancing breeze - things that children everywhere can enjoy, Thank You, World is a simple, but lovely reminder that, regardless of where we are in the world, we benefit from many of the same blessings. Each two-page spread features eight inset square illustrations, depicting children from eight different countries - the United States, Mexico, Mail, Saudi Arabia, Bolivia, France, India and China - all experiencing the same thing, in different ways. The conclusion, in which eight mothers tuck their children into bed, and nighttime is thanked for bringing soft gray shadows, and dreams, is a fitting finale for this quiet bedtime book.

I'm so very glad that my online friends rated this one so highly, and recommended it so sincerely (thanks, Kathryn & Lisa!), as I don't think I would have picked it up, otherwise, and that would have been a shame. Not only is the simple narrative very effective, at communicating the beauty of the world around us, and the feelings of gratitude that this beauty calls forth, the artwork by Wendy Anderson Halperin in a multitude of soft crayon colors, is simply gorgeous! I loved everything about this book, visually speaking, from the decorative endpapers to the eight inset illustrations on each two-page spread. This is just a lovely, lovely book, one I recommend to anyone looking for titles that emphasize the idea of global community, and of thankfulness. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 17, 2013 |
8 different countries are represented on each two-page spread. All the pictures show children doing something, like dancing or flying kites, in their home country. The message being that no matter where you are or who you are, we all do similar things in our lives.
  Scopuslrc | Nov 13, 2012 |
A cool concept book, 8 different countries are represented on each two-page spread. All the pictures show children doing something, like dancing or flying kites, in their home country.

Could be used to show how many similarities there are among cultures. ( )
  bluemopitz | Aug 12, 2010 |
This book is very simple and the author is thanking the Earth for all it has given. I thought it was really neat because the pictures show different places of the world, but yet still the same things are happening (the sun rises, the rain falls.. etc.) so it would be a great book to have in your classroom when talking about different places of the world as well as diversity and contrast and comparisons as well.
1 vote danielleburry | Aug 4, 2010 |

Alice McGintyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Halperin, Wendy AndersonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Thank you, breeze, for lifting up my kite wings past treetops tall and proud.

Thank you, trees. Your branches are my playhouse. I?m climbing to the clouds! Eight very different kids, from eight different continents, all go about their day and experience the same moments of happiness: greeting the sun in the morning, swinging on a swing, flying a kite, being tucked in by Mommy at bedtime. Uplifting and visually rich, this book reminds us that the world isn?t as large as it seems, and that life?s greatest pleasures are the simple ones.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:17 -0400)

Eight children from eight different countries express their thanks for many special things including the sun that colors the sky, breezes that lift kites, clouds that paint cotton pictures and send rain, and sparkling stars that "shine like Mommy's eyes."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,009,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible