How to Catch a Fish by John Frank

How to Catch a Fish

by John Frank

Illustrations fuzzy - wouldn't work for story time ( )
  melodyreads | Feb 16, 2017 |
Ok, I don't need to tell you what the book is about, because the description (blurb) is spot on, no exaggeration. It really is that interesting, though also solemn, almost spiritual.

What I found most impressive was the poetic style of the text. You have to read it aloud to see what I mean. But each poem(?) mini-essay(?) has the right cadence, the right pace, the right *sounds* for each type of fishing in each place that is represented. Fly-fishing in Ireland is a very different experience than deep-sea fishing off Hawaii. And the way you'll read it, the volume and tone of voice you'll find yourself using, will reflect that.

Of course the content also matters. And that is wonderful, too - fascinating and educational. If a child has ever fished in any manner, she will love to learn about all the other possibilities.

That is to say, a child at least four years old, I think. The book does take its time to be a thoroughly immersive experience. Best shared at a quiet time, not when you've a stack of picture-books to go through and return to the library.

During only a few scenes is addressed what happens to the caught fish. In Tobago, they go in pots. Off Hawaii, they're released. Implication elsewhere is that they're eaten or, perhaps, sold as people food. I winced a bit at the deep-sea angling page. Apparently it's a sport, ppl testing themselves against the fish. No guarantees that the fish survive the trauma. Sensitive readers should go into this book with that warning, but not skip it! It's all about learning about diverse cultures and points of view!

I have to admit that I, personally, wasn't crazy about the pictures. But they did fit the text, and I know a lot of readers do like that kind of illustration, so don't go by my opinion.

Overall, terrific book, highly recommended. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Beautiful illustrations of how fishing is done around the world. It also shows what type of fish are caught as well as the differences between the countries fishing. Interesting to read. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jan 1, 2016 |
Beautiful poems, and fascinating glimpses of people around the world catching fish. The acrylic paintings however are kind of dark and gloomy, and a bit too monotonous, although I recognize that they are probably appropriate for the mood and the instances the book is trying to capture. If I thought the pictures were more engaging to a child I wouldn't hesitate to rate the book with four stars.

My favorite spread was probably the one from Japan, with the cormorants on leash catching fish for humans, even if the rings around their necks must be bordering on torture, yuck ... ! ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
A book about a child and parent relationship and how excited the child gets to go fishing!

3-6 Years
Source: Pierce College Library
  acunningham128 | Mar 12, 2013 |

Rhyming text and illustrations describe the ways fish are caught in various locations around the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible