Surrender Bay by Denise Hunter

Surrender Bay

by Denise Hunter

Beautiful allegory of how God pursues us as our Bridegroom even when we betray Him over and over again. ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
If you are looking for a good romance novel with a strong faith message, look no farther than Surrender Bay by Denise Hunter. Set on Nantucket Island, it is also a great book for your summer getaway, even if it is just the backyard or porch. Samantha Owens returns to her childhood home with her eleven year old daughter to clean out her step-father’s house. The proceeds from the sale of the cottage will allow Samantha to pay off bills and giver her daughter all she needs to have a good life. But the memories of abandonment and bad choices become all too real as Samantha struggles to keep her heart untouched and her goals in place.

I found myself thinking about the story of Hosea and Gomer while turning the pages of Surrender Bay. While the situations are different, this is a story of unconditional love — a gift we just have to accept, not work to deserve. And while God is not mentioned by the characters, His fingerprints are all over the story. I think this would be a great book for those who don’t know or understand the love God has for us. It is a great book to open that discussion. My book club will be discussing Surrender Bay on Friday evening, and I anticipate some wonderful conversations concerning the story line, the characters and God’s nature. If you have read Surrender Bay, please leave me a comment I can share with my group. And if you have not read it, click HERE to see how you can win a copy of the book.

Highly Recommended. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Jul 26, 2012 |
The story was in itself a good one. I got sick of her over and over anxieties over the same thing of not trusting the people around her. She seemed like such a head case. ( )
  Godsgirl | Feb 16, 2010 |
Samantha Owens is like a lot of single moms, struggling to make ends meet yet hoping to provide for a better future for her daughter, Caden. So when she recieves word that her stepfather has died and left her his seaside cottage she takes a leave of absence so that she and her daughter can go fix it up and sell it. Returning to her childhood home means facing a lot of disturbing memories, but what she doesn't bank on is that her childhood sweetheart, Landon, will also be just two doors down.
This romance is also a powerful allegory of the way God loves us and woos us unconditionally. Not all readers may get this, and while the depth of Landon's love touched my heart, I wondered if other readers would get that it was a godly love or just think it was a wordly romance. ( )
  debs4jc | Apr 3, 2008 |
The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save, He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17
Prologue
"Why'd you wait so long to turn on the flashlight last night?" Landon asked.

When Samantha Owen's estranged stepfather dies, she inherits his cottage in Nantucket--a place she left years before, never planning to return. As a single mom, Sam can't afford to pass up a financial windfall like ocean-front property. So she travels home to fix up the house and sell it ... never expecting that Landon Reed still lives two doors down. As their long-dormant romance begins to bud again, Sam must face the fact that Landon still doesn't know why she left the island. Will the secrets she's hidden all these years tear them apart ... or is Landon's love really as unconditional as he claims?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible