I’m Just Here for the Food: Food Heat =…

I’m Just Here for the Food: Food Heat = Cooking, Version 2.0 (2006)

by Alton Brown

Recently added bywolfsbruder, PMBillington, BookGuide, poje, ahduval, private library, drhapgood

A cookbook unlike many others in that it doesn't just tell you how to cook but why. Plus it's funny. Alton Brown is the Bill Nye of the cooking world. ( )
  bacis88 | Nov 30, 2010 |
Anyone with more than a passing interest in cooking will likely enjoy this book. It's one of the few cookbooks designed to be read, not just thumbed through. It's really not even a cookbook. There are 90 recipes, but those are there primarily to illustrate his point about the science of cooking and to use as practice for specific techniques. The design is appealing and more like a magazine with clever illustrations and interesting asides. Who knew that Kingsford Charcoal was started by an executive at Ford Motor Company who went camping with Henry Ford and who also had lots of scrap chipwood left over at the plant? I certainly didn't. Intriguing anecdotes like these that are paired with very helpful discussions about the science of cooking make this a fantastic read for anyone who hasn't gone to culinary school. Highly recommended. ( )
  TigerLMS | Jan 27, 2010 |
I checked this book out of the library because I'm a fan of Alton Brown's tv show, Good Eats. The science aspect of cooking is interesting, and I've learned more than one useful culinary technique by watching. This cookbook is laid out much the same way; lots of easy to understand, jargon free science, great ideas and simple recipes. If you're an intermediate or advanced cook, the recipes themselves might not appeal much to you, but everyone, regardless of cooking background, can appreciate and use the tips and hints he gives throughout. Written in a conversational, easy-going manner, this book was great for reading. ( )
  pinprick | Sep 29, 2009 |
It's one of those 'must have' books for your kitchen. ( )
  EvaElisabeth | Sep 18, 2009 |
I love Alton Brown, his shows on Food Network are great so to no surprise this cookbook is great too. I have tried some of the recipes listed and was very pleased with the results. I enjoy his straightforward approach to explaining the science behind cooking methods. I also like that he has taken cooking methods and experimented with them until he can present the best method available for each technique. Most of all ... his recipes dont call for any particularly fancy tools or ingredients in order to make them! ( )
  Emidawg | Jan 23, 2009 |
Curiosity is a willing, a proud, an eager confession of ignorance. —Leonard Rubenstein
Let's get one thing straight right up front.
This LT work is Alton Brown's 2006 revision (alternately referred to as "Version 2.0 " or "The Director's Cut") of his 2002 book, I'm Just Here for the Food: Food (plus) Heat = Cooking. Please distinguish between this revision and other LT works in this series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158479559X, Hardcover)

Eight years ago, Alton Brown set out to create a cooking show for a new generation. The result was "Good Eats", one of Food Network's most popular programmes. Four years ago, when Alton Brown set out to write "I'm Just Here for the Food", he wanted to create a cookbook unlike any other - a cookbook for people who would rather understand their food than follow a recipe. A mix of cutting edge graphics and a fresh take on preparing food, "I'm Just Here for the Food" became one of the best-selling cookbooks of the year - and received the James Beard Foundation/KitchenAid Book Award as best reference book. This year, to commemorate and celebrate this more-than-300-thousand-copies-sold success story, STC is pleased to announce "I'm Just Here for the Food: The Director's Cut". This special edition features 10 brand-new recipes, 20 pages of material not included in the original book, a jacket that folds out into a poster and a removable refrigerator magnet - all wrapped around the material that made the original a classic instruction manual for the kitchen. The book now combines more than 90 recipes with a wealth of information that allow anyone - at any level of expertise - to understand the whys and wherefores of cooking.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:49 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,321,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible