The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan

The Gathering Storm

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (12)

The Unremembered by Peter Orullian (chaos012)
    chaos012: If you want something like this but in a fresh new world try this

English (94)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (96)
Fantastic. I found Sanderson's writing style is much more entertaining than Jordan's, so it was much harder for me to put down than the other books in the series. Great story and great choice in authors to complete Jordan's masterpiece. ( )
  DaddyPupcake | Jun 8, 2018 |
Brandon Sanderson's first entry into the Wheel of Time injects some much needed action reminiscent of the earlier books in the series. Robert Jordan started to get bogged down in minutiae for a few volumes before returning to form in [b:Knife of Dreams|13888|Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)|Robert Jordan|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1397856387s/13888.jpg|987750]. Sanderson's writes in such a way that fits with the tone Jordan established without wandering off into overly detailed descriptions of dresses & forests as the late Mr. Jordan became prone to doing. Sanderson gets the characters right too. It is with great excitement and anticipation that I will be beginning [b:Towers of Midnight|10371118|Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13; A Memory of Light, #2)|Robert Jordan|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328312225s/10371118.jpg|7338128]. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
Wow! Er, I mean… The Gathering Storm is the twelfth book in The Wheel of Time. I liked it. Ok, I liked it a lot. :) This was my favorite of all of the WoT books so far. Heading toward the end of the series, we’re finally starting to see some great pay-offs as some of the long-running storylines reach a resolution. This book had a lot of action, and some revelations that I absolutely loved.

I had heard good things about the last three books written by Sanderson, so I figured I wouldn’t be disappointed, but I really wasn’t too sure what to expect. I was afraid the characters might feel “off”, being written by a different writer, but it never once felt that way. I only occasionally gave any thought to the fact that this book was written by a different author, and those thoughts were never the result of something not reading right. It’s difficult to say how much of my enjoyment was a result of the story itself as Jordan had intended it and how much came from Sanderson’s own writing style and story contributions. It was probably a combination of both.

The most obvious difference I noticed between the two authors was that Sanderson’s chapters seem to have catchier beginnings. Jordan seemed more inclined to start a chapter by first setting the scene and then getting to the action. Sanderson, on the other hand, often started off with some catchy sentence, usually more action-oriented, that made me anxious to learn more. The scene-setting still happened, but it was done a little more subtly. I was much less likely to stop at chapter breaks with this book than with the previous books.

Two more books to go! I have a few more spoiler-filled comments (and possibly some more gushing, sorry) within the tags below.

My favorite, favorite part of this book started when Verin showed up in Egwene’s room in the White Tower. I had always found her character interesting, especially since there was clearly a lot more going on with her than we were being told, and it was great to finally get some answers. I loved the heroic role she played in poisoning herself so she could reveal what she knew, and I loved seeing the identities of most of the Black Ajah finally revealed for our main characters. I was happy to see Egwene finally learn what we the readers have known for a while, that Sheriam was Black Ajah. I can’t wait to find out what’s in the written instructions Verin left for Mat. I have no doubt that he’s going to read them rather than wait the 30 days and destroy them unread, otherwise why introduce it and make the reader wonder? Surely the author(s) aren’t that cruel. :)

Egwene’s storyline has usually been one of the more interesting ones for me in this series, and I particularly enjoyed it in this book. Seeing her slowly win over the people at the White Tower even while being subjugated and beaten was great.

Even though Mat didn’t have a huge role to play in this book, I still really enjoyed his parts. They were also really funny; I laughed aloud a lot during his chapters. Sanderson seemed to bring a bit more humor into the character interactions while still staying true to the characters. As much as I was hoping we might see the attempted rescue of Moiraine in this book, there was so much other great stuff going on that I didn’t mind. I hope it’s in the next book, though. It’s one of the last major things that needs to be wrapped up before the finale.

Rand’s slow trip to the dark side definitely picked up the pace in this book, and I was glad to see that apparently get resolved at the end also. I saw the reunion with Tam coming a mile away, but I was glad to finally see it, and I look forward to hopefully seeing more interaction between them in the next book.

I was slightly annoyed that Morgase’s reveal happened off-page. I wanted to see Perrin and everybody’s reactions when they finally learned who she was. Hopefully Gawyn will learn of it before he does anything stupid.
1 vote YouKneeK | Feb 27, 2018 |
The Gathering Storm: Book Twelve of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

The Gathering Storm, written by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson is their first collaboration and wondrously successful. After Robert Jordan's untimely death in 2007, his widow Harriet contacted Brandon Sanderson and asked him to finish the last book of the series. He's caught the spirit of the epic fantasy and the characters and got almost all spot on.

Brandon moves all the plot lines along swiftly. Rand, Mat, and Perrin make substantial progress in their struggles to prepare for the Last Battle, Tarmon Gaidon. The divided White Tower also has partial victories in their struggles to reunite and to find evil black ajah. Some of the scenes are almost too good to miss.

The only fault I find is Mat Cauthon's character. Brandon doesn't quite portray his subtle hypocrisy correctly and makes him a bit of a caricature.

Plenty remains to be resolved in the last two books of the series. Don't miss them! ( )
  jjvors | Aug 22, 2017 |
So, so good. Having everything start to wrap up (spectacularly I might add)...! Onwards to the next tome! ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This book flows at breakneck speed and is hard to put down once you get into it. With action scenes coming quickly and having lasting results, the book keeps the reader on the edge of his seat, waiting to see what will come next.

By the end of the story, I had a warm, satisfied feeling about what I had just read. After letting the book sink in, I began to speculate about what might come next and started to theorize about what certain scenes, images and allusions truly meant.

The book's culmination is enthralling and a challenge to put down as the pace increases exponentially with each chapter. Nevertheless, the battle scenes were not as engrossing as those in the previous 11 books. Sanderson does not rely on the action to push the plot, choosing instead to use internal conflicts to maintain interest.

"The Gathering Storm" is the best installment in the Wheel of Time series since the third novel, "The Dragon Reborn," and will not leave fans disappointed.
added by IslandDave | editDeseret News, Seth Bracken (Nov 29, 2009)

Brandon Sanderson, the fantasy writer Jordan’s wife selected to finish the tale of the Dragon Reborn and his battle against the Dark One, has an unenviable task; working from Jordan’s extensive notes, he has to somehow bring nearly 20 years worth of plotting and a cast of hundreds to a conclusion that won’t disappoint. But The Gathering Storm makes a solid start.
added by jlelliott | editThe A.V. Club, Zack Handlen (Nov 19, 2009)

For my part, even aside from scenes (agh!) of awesome awesomeing (*clapclap*), I may not be entirely sure how I feel about some of what happened in The Gathering Storm, whether it was Jordan’s work or Sanderson’s but there is no doubt that I’m damn glad they wrote it.

And I’m damn glad I got to read it.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Leigh Butler (Oct 23, 2009)

Jordan, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravens and crows. Rats. Mists and clouds. Insects and corruption. Strange events and odd occurrences. The ordinary twisted and strange. Wonders!

The dead are beginning to walk, and some see them. Others do not, but more and more, we all fear the night.

These have been our days. They rain upon us beneath a dead sky, crushing us with their fury, until as one we beg: "Let it begin!"

—Journal of the Unknown Scholar, entry for The Feast of Freia, 1000 NE
At the end of time,
when the many become one,
the last storm shall gather its angry winds
to destroy a land already dying.
And at its center,
the blind man shall stand
upon his own grave.
There he shall see again,
and weep for what has been wrought.

—from The Prophecies of the Dragon,
Essanik Cycle. Malhavish's
Official Translation, Imperial
Recorde House of Seandar,
Fourth Circle of Elevation.
For Maria Simons and Alan Romanczuk,
without whom this book wouldn't have been possible.
Renald Fanwar sat on his porch, warming the sturdy blackoak chair crafted for him by his grandson two years before.
"I'm not giving up gambling," Mat muttered. "Or drinking."
"So I believe you've told me," Talmanes said. "Three or four times so far. I half believe that if I were to peek into your tent at night, I'd find you mumbling it in your sleep. 'I'm going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where's my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?'" (p. 317)

Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle, looms. And mankind is not ready. Rand al'Thor struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle, as his allies watch in terror the shadow that seems to be growing within the heart of the Dragon Reborn himself. Egwene al'Vere is a captive of the White Tower and subject to the whims of their tyrannical leader. She works to hold together the disparate factions of Aes Sedai, as the days tick toward the Seanchan attack she knows is imminent. Her fight will prove the mettle of the Aes Sedai, and her conflict will decide the future of the White Tower - and possibly the world itself. The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow . . .
Regalo di addio di Silvio !

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle. Meanwhile, Egwene al'Vere, the Amyrlin Seat of the rebel Aes Sedai, is being held captive by the White Tower. Knowing the Seanchan attack is imminent, she fights to hold the Aes Sedai together in an epic contest that will prove the mettle of her followers and will decide the future of the White Tower---and possibly the world itself. The first of three novels that will make up "A Memory of Light" and mark the conclusion of the Wheel of Time.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,208,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible