The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, 12)…

The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, 12) (edition 2009)

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Member:Kassilem
Title:The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, 12)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Other authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1120 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Epic Fantasy

The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan

The Unremembered by Peter Orullian (chaos012)
    chaos012: If you want something like this but in a fresh new world try this

English (87)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (89)
Wow! This really is a great series. It's impossible to write a review without posting a spoiler so I will just leave it at that! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I was afraid it would never come, then afraid Sanderson would not succeed, and I was wrong!
A good read it was!
Now to the next! ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 1, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Egwene is successful in bringing back the two sides of the White Tower. Rand blocks off emotions, but at the end realizes he can't go on that way. Nynaeve is concerned for Lan. Morgaine may be alive. Siuan bonds Gareth. Gawayne comes for Siuan.
This is so huge! I've picked it up again because I currently have no library books and I just finished Side Jobs that William gave me for my birthday, it just came a month ago. We have brief Mat and Perrin glimpses. We found out who are part of the Black Ajah. So now on to book 13 to find out if its the last or if there is another after. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
After reading Robert Jordan for over a year, it was a bit rough jumping back into the Wheel of Time world—only this time, under someone else's hand. I didn't notice many of differences the first time I read this novel, but I noticed them this time. Sanderson will say something right out in a paragraph, while Jordan would spend books building up characterizations that he expected the readers to catch on their own. Sanderson's characters talk a lot more, whereas a lot of the dialogue that Jordan creates happens inside characters' heads.

So reading this book felt . . . wrong at times. Especially when reading passages with Mat and Talmanes. Reading this book felt a bit like watching a sequel to a beloved movie that came out years after the original—things just felt a little bit off for awhile.

That being said, I still prefer Sanderson's style of writing, even in the world Robert Jordan created. But Sanderson was true to the heart of the story. I don't think anyone else could have pulled off this feat as well as he did.

Now, on to the book, . . .

This book was pretty depressing, actually. It is difficult watching Rand change even more, becoming semi-evil as he attempts to harden himself. Reading his development, or rather, digression, was enough to make me doubt that the Last Battle was actually going to be won by the good guys. When your only hope is that detached and uncaring, you've got a problem.

The reunion with Tam was one the scenes I had hoped for the most, and it didn't go the way I wanted it to. (That comes in the next book.) But I loved that Rand still considers Tam his strong shepherd, his own personal hero. It is comforting to know that not all things have to change before the Last Battle can take place. Even before the dramatic episode at Dragonmount, there was still a small seed inside of Rand that woke up when his dad came and tried to soothe away some of the hurt and worry Rand had been shouldering for so long.

This book is as much Egwene's story as it is Rand's, perhaps more so, and it is AWESOME. Sitting here, I can't think up any good words to describe just how awesome her fight to unite the tower is, how she shows leadership that outrivals that of anyone else in the Wheel of Time world. I thoroughly enjoyed watching her win. It was probably one of the most satisfying plot "conclusions" in the entire series.

There are only three scenes in the entire series (that I can think of) that made me teary-eyed: one was in book 4 (I think) when Perrin returns to the Two Rivers only to find that his family has been slaughtered, one is in the next book, and the other one was Verin's death scene. I think she deserves the Medal of Awesome for the entire series. Siuan and Moiraine made sacrifices to guide Rand through Tarmon Gaidon, everyone from the Two Rivers had to accept new roles outside of their beloved home, and thousands of people gave up their lives and homes to follow Rand--but Verin beats them all. She joined the Dark side not for selfish reasons, but because she wanted to do something that would make a difference for Team Light. I wish she didn't have to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good guys, but her sacrifice may be the difference maker when the Last Battle finally comes.

Everything else in this book was mostly setup for the next two books. Mat's storyline doesn't add much to the overall plot, other than meeting up with Verin, Perrin finally starts to realize that he has been too singleminded in his goals now that Faile is back, and fans finally have hope that he will reach his potential, Tuon is back to being an infuriating Seanchan rather than a cute little woman flirting with and falling in love with Mat, and Elayne, thank the Light, isn't even in this book. THAT was quite a relief, let me tell you. Even though we had to deal with her idiot brother instead.

To top it all off, the book ends on a positive note, one of light and hope. One that makes you think, "The Dark One and his selfish cronies ain't got nothin' on the Dragon Reborn." ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book flows at breakneck speed and is hard to put down once you get into it. With action scenes coming quickly and having lasting results, the book keeps the reader on the edge of his seat, waiting to see what will come next.

By the end of the story, I had a warm, satisfied feeling about what I had just read. After letting the book sink in, I began to speculate about what might come next and started to theorize about what certain scenes, images and allusions truly meant.

The book's culmination is enthralling and a challenge to put down as the pace increases exponentially with each chapter. Nevertheless, the battle scenes were not as engrossing as those in the previous 11 books. Sanderson does not rely on the action to push the plot, choosing instead to use internal conflicts to maintain interest.

"The Gathering Storm" is the best installment in the Wheel of Time series since the third novel, "The Dragon Reborn," and will not leave fans disappointed.
added by IslandDave | editDeseret News, Seth Bracken (Nov 29, 2009)

Brandon Sanderson, the fantasy writer Jordan’s wife selected to finish the tale of the Dragon Reborn and his battle against the Dark One, has an unenviable task; working from Jordan’s extensive notes, he has to somehow bring nearly 20 years worth of plotting and a cast of hundreds to a conclusion that won’t disappoint. But The Gathering Storm makes a solid start.
added by jlelliott | editThe A.V. Club, Zack Handlen (Nov 19, 2009)

For my part, even aside from scenes (agh!) of awesome awesomeing (*clapclap*), I may not be entirely sure how I feel about some of what happened in The Gathering Storm, whether it was Jordan’s work or Sanderson’s but there is no doubt that I’m damn glad they wrote it.

And I’m damn glad I got to read it.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Leigh Butler (Oct 23, 2009)

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravens and crows. Rats. Mists and clouds. Insects and corruption. Strange events and odd occurrences. The ordinary twisted and strange. Wonders!

The dead are beginning to walk, and some see them. Others do not, but more and more, we all fear the night.

These have been our days. They rain upon us beneath a dead sky, crushing us with their fury, until as one we beg: "Let it begin!"

—Journal of the Unknown Scholar, entry for The Feast of Freia, 1000 NE
At the end of time,
when the many become one,
the last storm shall gather its angry winds
to destroy a land already dying.
And at its center,
the blind man shall stand
upon his own grave.
There he shall see again,
and weep for what has been wrought.

—from The Prophecies of the Dragon,
Essanik Cycle. Malhavish's
Official Translation, Imperial
Recorde House of Seandar,
Fourth Circle of Elevation.
For Maria Simons and Alan Romanczuk,
without whom this book wouldn't have been possible.
Renald Fanwar sat on his porch, warming the sturdy blackoak chair crafted for him by his grandson two years before.
"I'm not giving up gambling," Mat muttered. "Or drinking."
"So I believe you've told me," Talmanes said. "Three or four times so far. I half believe that if I were to peek into your tent at night, I'd find you mumbling it in your sleep. 'I'm going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where's my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?'" (p. 317)

Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle, looms. And mankind is not ready. Rand al'Thor struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle, as his allies watch in terror the shadow that seems to be growing within the heart of the Dragon Reborn himself. Egwene al'Vere is a captive of the White Tower and subject to the whims of their tyrannical leader. She works to hold together the disparate factions of Aes Sedai, as the days tick toward the Seanchan attack she knows is imminent. Her fight will prove the mettle of the Aes Sedai, and her conflict will decide the future of the White Tower - and possibly the world itself. The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow . . .
Regalo di addio di Silvio !

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle. Meanwhile, Egwene al'Vere, the Amyrlin Seat of the rebel Aes Sedai, is being held captive by the White Tower. Knowing the Seanchan attack is imminent, she fights to hold the Aes Sedai together in an epic contest that will prove the mettle of her followers and will decide the future of the White Tower---and possibly the world itself. The first of three novels that will make up "A Memory of Light" and mark the conclusion of the Wheel of Time.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,459,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible