The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, 12)…

The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, 12) (edition 2009)

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Member:Kassilem
Title:The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, 12)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Other authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1120 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Epic Fantasy

The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan

Recently added bythibeaux_l, Shutzie27, PhilipTroy, Alarec.V..Scarberry, Karunar, private library, KamilGruca
12 (10) 2009 (8) 2010 (9) adventure (10) audiobook (8) Brandon Sanderson (7) ebook (27) epic (32) epic fantasy (47) fantasy (432) fiction (159) First Edition (7) hardcover (22) high fantasy (10) Jordan (12) magic (28) novel (21) own (12) rand al'thor (9) read (28) read in 2009 (11) read in 2010 (8) Robert Jordan (14) science fiction (12) series (47) sff (18) signed (17) to-read (63) unread (19) Wheel of Time (229)
    The Unremembered by Peter Orullian (chaos012)
    chaos012: If you want something like this but in a fresh new world try this

English (74)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (76)
Substance: Okay, so I'm a heretic. I find the story boring, not least because it moves so slowly: I never read volumes 10 or 11 (and may have missed 9, I'm not sure now), and yet no one seems to have progressed over that space of reader's time (it seems to have been not very long in "world time" - which is a problem in itself). Jordan provided enough filler to pick up any major plot points, and I didn't miss any of the skipped books. I also have disliked the series from the beginning because the characters (aside from Rand himself and a very few others) are refugees from a Costume Romance. I cannot abide Nynaeve and Egwene (although both improved slightly in this volume), and the Aes Sedai are a joke, because of the inherent inconsistency of having a majorly powerful bureaucracy as dysfunctional as the White Tower nonetheless exist for centuries.
If someone could reduce the whole thing down to 3 or 4 volumes instead of the final count of 15, including the prequel, it might have been okay. Some of the cultures were interesting, and the primary plot line was okay (although it would have been nice to know ahead of time that Jordan didn't intend to quit with cleansing the saidin, which was the original goal).
I just never have liked soap operas.
Style: Brandon Sanderson is a better writer than Robert Jordan, but he is limited by his material (outlines and notes, with some text) and by his worship of the originator (which is hard for me to understand, since he is the superior plotter, characterizer, and stylist). No accounting for taste. ( )
  librisissimo | Jul 14, 2014 |
The five stars says it all. I loved it! The faster pace that has emerged in the last couple of books continues in this one, with some events that are fairly shocking and caught me off guard. I was glued to the book for far longer than I could afford to be! I'm eager to move on to the next one! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

First of all, I'm happy to report that THE WHEEL OF TIME is slowly getting somewhere. Though The Gathering Storm is excessively and needlessly lengthy (why do I, after all this time, still need the clothing styles of each country detailed?), a few things actually happen. And a few important things! Some storylines are mercifully wrapped up and it finally appears that the "storm" is truly "gathering" and that perhaps we might actually see some rain or lightning in the next volume.

Also importantly, the transition from Robert Jordan to Brandon Sanderson has been seamless. I have no idea how much of The Gathering Storm was written by Mr. Jordan before his death, but it all felt like Mr. Jordan. A couple of times I thought I detected Brandon Sanderson in the background during the Mat chapters, but this is a good thing because I like Sanderson's sense of humor. Good job, Mr. Sanderson!

The seamless transition is mainly a good thing, but it means that most of the issues I've had with THE WHEEL OF TIME are still there — the pace is excruciatingly slow (for all the pages in this big book and all the traveling going on, there's not much overall plot movement), there are too many characters with similar names (I had to look up several of them at Encyclopedia WOT), and each of the cultures is unrealistically stereotyped (e.g., the Aiel still won't look at horses, the Domani women are seductive, etc). There are fewer braid pulls this time, though spanking is still the preferred method of punishment.

The Gathering Storm is very much like Knife of Dreams. The plot is moving toward resolution, but there's a lot of filler along the way. Bill reported that Sanderson had streamlined the prose, but honestly I couldn't detect that; it sounded the same to me. However, this may be because I was listening to The Gathering Storm on audio with the familiar voices of husband-and-wife team Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

And speaking of the audio, here's a confession: Listening to a WHEEL OF TIME novel on audio is a massive undertaking: 33 hours of life in this case. Not only is the pace of the novel too slow, but Kramer and Reading read it too slowly, also. But I have a trick for this: I speed up the audio to 1.4 times normal speed and then it's tolerable. In fact, it sounds like a normal reading rate at this speed. I recommend the audio version if you have the capability of speeding it up. If you don't, make sure you're up to 33 hours of leisurely listening or else get the print version.
www.fantasyliterature.com ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Where to start on this one.... Robert Jordan died in to 2007 with the stories not yet completed. The final volume has been split into 3 books and this is the first of them co-written by Brandon Sanderson. I think Sanderson did a great job with the notes and capturing Jordan's voice. The plot, by this time, is so fragmented with the various storylines that all he really needed to do (easy for me to say) was to logically continue each plot line. There are a bunch of battles, various friends from the two rivers are frustrated with each other and/or reconcile. The series is almost done. When it is all done, I think I actually need to reread all of them again. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
We're starting to see the end of this epic, at last. I started reading it when I was 14, and I had no idea I'd still be reading it into my 30s...

This is Brandon Sanderson's first piece of the story, and as a long time reader I was worried he'd butcher it. No doubt about it--he did a great job of continuing the story without losing the voice that Robert Jordan created for his characters. Within just a few pages, I had completely forgotten that Sanderson had finished it for Jordan, and by the end I had enjoyed it as much as any of the other Wheel of Time books.

If you are a fan of Jordan, and of the Wheel of Time I think you'll enjoy the Gathering Storm, as well. ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
This book flows at breakneck speed and is hard to put down once you get into it. With action scenes coming quickly and having lasting results, the book keeps the reader on the edge of his seat, waiting to see what will come next.

By the end of the story, I had a warm, satisfied feeling about what I had just read. After letting the book sink in, I began to speculate about what might come next and started to theorize about what certain scenes, images and allusions truly meant.

The book's culmination is enthralling and a challenge to put down as the pace increases exponentially with each chapter. Nevertheless, the battle scenes were not as engrossing as those in the previous 11 books. Sanderson does not rely on the action to push the plot, choosing instead to use internal conflicts to maintain interest.

"The Gathering Storm" is the best installment in the Wheel of Time series since the third novel, "The Dragon Reborn," and will not leave fans disappointed.
added by IslandDave | editDeseret News, Seth Bracken (Nov 29, 2009)

Brandon Sanderson, the fantasy writer Jordan’s wife selected to finish the tale of the Dragon Reborn and his battle against the Dark One, has an unenviable task; working from Jordan’s extensive notes, he has to somehow bring nearly 20 years worth of plotting and a cast of hundreds to a conclusion that won’t disappoint. But The Gathering Storm makes a solid start.
added by jlelliott | editThe A.V. Club, Zack Handlen (Nov 19, 2009)

For my part, even aside from scenes (agh!) of awesome awesomeing (*clapclap*), I may not be entirely sure how I feel about some of what happened in The Gathering Storm, whether it was Jordan’s work or Sanderson’s but there is no doubt that I’m damn glad they wrote it.

And I’m damn glad I got to read it.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Leigh Butler (Oct 23, 2009)

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravens and crows. Rats. Mists and clouds. Insects and corruption. Strange events and odd occurrences. The ordinary twisted and strange. Wonders!

The dead are beginning to walk, and some see them. Others do not, but more and more, we all fear the night.

These have been our days. They rain upon us beneath a dead sky, crushing us with their fury, until as one we beg: "Let it begin!"

—Journal of the Unknown Scholar, entry for The Feast of Freia, 1000 NE
At the end of time,
when the many become one,
the last storm shall gather its angry winds
to destroy a land already dying.
And at its center,
the blind man shall stand
upon his own grave.
There he shall see again,
and weep for what has been wrought.

—from The Prophecies of the Dragon,
Essanik Cycle. Malhavish's
Official Translation, Imperial
Recorde House of Seandar,
Fourth Circle of Elevation.
For Maria Simons and Alan Romanczuk,
without whom this book wouldn't have been possible.
Renald Fanwar sat on his porch, warming the sturdy blackoak chair crafted for him by his grandson two years before.
"I'm not giving up gambling," Mat muttered. "Or drinking."
"So I believe you've told me," Talmanes said. "Three or four times so far. I half believe that if I were to peek into your tent at night, I'd find you mumbling it in your sleep. 'I'm going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where's my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?'" (p. 317)

Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle, looms. And mankind is not ready. Rand al'Thor struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle, as his allies watch in terror the shadow that seems to be growing within the heart of the Dragon Reborn himself. Egwene al'Vere is a captive of the White Tower and subject to the whims of their tyrannical leader. She works to hold together the disparate factions of Aes Sedai, as the days tick toward the Seanchan attack she knows is imminent. Her fight will prove the mettle of the Aes Sedai, and her conflict will decide the future of the White Tower - and possibly the world itself. The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow . . .
Regalo di addio di Silvio !

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle. Meanwhile, Egwene al'Vere, the Amyrlin Seat of the rebel Aes Sedai, is being held captive by the White Tower. Knowing the Seanchan attack is imminent, she fights to hold the Aes Sedai together in an epic contest that will prove the mettle of her followers and will decide the future of the White Tower---and possibly the world itself. The first of three novels that will make up "A Memory of Light" and mark the conclusion of the Wheel of Time.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible