Dead of the Day by Karen E. Olson

Annie Seymour does it again. In search of a front page story she stumbles into the middle of a murder. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
I really like this author. The writing is a little manic when she tries to convey intense action for her characters, but its an enjoyable, solid read, with a strong female character. I'll continue to read the stories....the titles for this and the last (something about cows) throws me a little, as they really have nothing to do with the central story...well peripherally, at least in this one, I realized the connection quicker. ( )
  Kace | Jan 30, 2010 |
#3 Annie Seymour mystery. Annie is working on a profile of the new New Haven police chief for her paper when he is unceremoniously gunned down in front of a local theatre before she even has the article finished. He had seemed like a very ‘benign’ fellow, and Annie is puzzled as to who would want him dead, so of course must begin to dig deeper. Annie and her new boyfriend Vinnie are on the outs, but why is Vinnie’s brother Rocco hanging around trying to get them back together? And what is his connection to a mysterious Hispanic girl who also seems tied in some way to a body that was found in the river—and to another body that is found in the trunk of Annie’s beloved Civic? Lots of questions, but Annie’s a reporter and finding answers is what she does. Oh, and if you remember in my previous reviews of this series I mentioned the ‘animal’ theme—the first book featured cows, the second one chickens? No pigs were found in this book…the theme animal here was…BEES! No, I’m not kidding. LOL This series has quickly become one of my favorites; I love Annie’s character and the secondary characters are also interesting, although Annie’s menfolk don’t seem to have much depth of character—all they seem to do is smile enigmatically and kiss energetically and arrive in time to ask, “Are you all right?” There’s definitely room for growth there. Heh. There is a ‘torn between two lovers’ element to this book, but for some reason it doesn’t ‘bug’ me as it does with some other books—and it SEEMS to be resolved at the end of the book. But then again, I thought it was resolved at the end of the last one too! LOL I enjoyed this entry in the series—and I’m waiting eagerly for November and the release of the next in series, so get writing, Karen! ( )
  Spuddie | Oct 2, 2008 |
Police reporter Annie Seymour has a feature story about Tony Rodriguez, the new police chief in New Haven CT, in the works when he’s shot dead while out with his wife. It’s a stunning turn of events and no one, including Annie, can figure out who would want him dead. The murder of another man, whose body was pulled from the harbor with what appeared to be bee stings on his abdomen, is getting much less attention than the dead police chief’s.

Cub reporter Dick Whitfield is trying to make a name for himself and infringing on Annie’s turf. She just wants to find out who murdered the chief and why, write the story and get the pesky Whitfield out of her hair. While she’s pursuing the story, Annie crashes a few cars, makes multiple visits to the emergency room for stitches, popping (or not) pain killers along the way. Plus she’s got two ex-beaus, a police detective and a private investigator, vying for her attention, and a crime novelist following her every move.

In a 4½-quill (out of 5) review of another of Karen E Olson’s Annie Seymour mysteries, Sacred Cows, I wrote: “Annie’s language – quite salty at times but never overdone – seems a natural part of her character; it adds to, rather than detracts from the story.” Not so in Dead of the Day. Every other paragraph – or so it seemed -- both in dialogue and Annie’s first-person narrative, it was effing this and g__ d__ that. After awhile, I wanted to wash Annie’s mouth out with soap to make her stop.

Still, Dead of the Day is an interesting story and Annie is a heroine whose cynicism I admire. Occasional flashes of humor add to the fun. Readers who don’t find coarse language distracting may find Dead of the Day a lot more entertaining than I did.

By Diana. First published in Mystery News, Dec. ’07 – Jan. ’08 issue. ( )
  NewsieQ | Dec 26, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451222474, Mass Market Paperback)

But this is only the beginning of a killer exposŽ-because as she connects the dots between the John Doe, the police chief, and the city's struggling immigrant population, Annie's drawing a line between herself and someone who doesn't want her to learn the truth, or live to report it...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:09 -0400)

A soggy April has hit New Haven, Connecticut-along with an unidentified body in the harbor. The strange fact that there were bee stings on the floater gives New Haven Herald police reporter Annie Seymour an intriguing excuse to put off her profile of the new police chief-a piece that becomes a lot more interesting when the subject is gunned down. But this is only the beginning of a killer expose--because as she connects the dots between the John Doe, the police chief, and the city's struggling immigrant population, Annie's drawing a line between herself and someone who doesn't want her to learn the truth, or live to report it… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,368,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible