At the Back of the North Wind by George…

At the Back of the North Wind (1871)

by George MacDonald

1,498184,946 (4)68
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (rakerman)
    rakerman: Wind spirits play an important role in both The Girl and At the Back of the North Wind. The books both have aspects of wonder and sorrow, with a similar idea of a child taken away into a magical land.

All I really call is that this was not y favorite McDonld. ( )
  antiquary | Mar 22, 2014 |
My Vintage Book Circle chose this title. I'm glad because I've never read George MacDonald before. It has some of the elements of Pollyanna with a boy instead of a girl. Much more fantasy and not as down to earth. I'd like to read more about Mr MacDonald and the literature of his time. This feels like it is very much a product of the time. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
At the Back of the North Wind is a morality tale for young children and their parents. Did Macdonald seriously believe real children could in any way behave like Little Diamond? Hopefully not but I suppose he was providing a model for children to emulate. And for parents the lessons are simple, love your children, listen to them, guide them and set a good example. If you are in a position to help other children don't hesitate to do so.

While I enjoyed the old-fashioned quality of this novel, I don't know if I would read it to any of my young relatives as it was obvious how it will end. At the Back of the North Wind is not nearly as devastating as Andersen's The Little Match Girl. (I read that many years ago in a store, tearing up, and wondering who would read this to a child.) Thankfully Little Diamond has loving parents and friends. ( )
  Bookish59 | Jun 8, 2013 |
I came to MacDonald because of Lewis who loved him. I do not. I read this fairly recently, within the last 5 years, and, frankly, I did not like it. It's very Victorian, a mix of schmaltz and real tragedy. ( )
  Kathleen828 | Dec 29, 2012 |

George MacDonaldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bedford, Francis DonkinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Browning, ColleenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mozley, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Jessie WillcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have been asked to tell you about the back of the North Wind. An old Greek writer mentions a people who lived there, and were so comfortable that they could not bear it any longer, and drowned themselves. My story is not the same as his.
This is the main work for At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald. Please do not combine with any omnibus containing additional works, or with any abridgement, adaptation, etc.

A Victorian fairy tale that has enchanted readers for more than a hundred years: the magical story of Diamond, the son of a poor coachman, who is swept away by the North Wind–a radiant, maternal spirit with long, flowing hair–and whose life is transformed by a brief glimpse of the beautiful country “at the back of the north wind.” It combines a Dickensian regard for the working class of mid-19th-century England with the invention of an ethereal landscape, and is published here alongside Arthur Hughes’s handsome illustrations from the original 1871 edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:49 -0400)

Diamond, a young boy living in nineteenth-century London, has many adventures as he travels with the beautiful Lady North Wind and comes to know the many facets of her protective and violent temper.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible