Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Little Brother

by Cory Doctorow

Series: Little Brother (1)

3,7543071,386 (4.08)2 / 232
Recently added bytjahonen, apchhee, BamaVon, -sunny-, private library, MillieHennessy, Glennis.LeBlanc, csweder
2008 (42) civil liberties (41) civil rights (67) computers (84) cyberpunk (53) dystopia (170) ebook (104) fiction (417) freedom (44) government (52) hackers (119) hacking (91) homeland security (69) politics (43) privacy (85) read (79) San Francisco (138) science fiction (453) security (58) sf (106) signed (40) speculative fiction (43) surveillance (63) technology (163) teen (53) terrorism (237) to-read (94) YA (208) young adult (244) young adult fiction (40)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (snozzberry)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (SheReads)
    The Hacker Crackdown: Law And Disorder On The Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling (persky)
    persky: The book that turned Doctorow on to the EFF and a real world account of various government agencies cracking down on teenage hackers.
    After by Francine Prose (meggyweg)
    The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian (JFDR)
    The Media Monopoly by Ben H. Bagdikian (strande)
    strande: In chapter thirteen, Ange and Marcus call the media whores. "In fact, that's an insult to hardworking whores everywhere. They're, they're profiteers." Media Monopoly is a whole book about how the media turned into profiteers.
    Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow (ahstrick)
    Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For knowledge, the use and distribution, general purpose. Best for teens.
    So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (snozzberry)
    Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho by Jon Katz (writecathy)
    Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age by Steven Levy (kraaivrouw)
    Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (PghDragonMan)
    Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (kaledrina)
    The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith (kaledrina)
    Z by Michael Thomas Ford (kaledrina)
    Scroogled by Cory Doctorow (Liberuno)
    Reflex by Steven Gould (persky)

English (295)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Indonesian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (307)
Little Brother takes place in a not-too-distant future in San Fransisco. There are four friends who are skipping school when someone blows up the Bay Bridge--giving the Department of Homeland Security(DHS)all the authority it needs to spy on people, harrass, and detain people without any real cause or habeus corpus (ability to see a judge). And a group of teenagers fight back with the slogan, "Don't trust anyone over 25!".

There were a lot of great things in this book, but I feel the need to relate what keeps it from being a four or five star book. It takes place in the future, I think....? There is no date for the book given, and that's not REALLY a problem, but the problem was I didn't understand if all the technological stuff that Doctorow talked about was real, or not? I got confused. The only other thing holding it back was the way too deep explanations of all the technical stuff--not needed. I'm not going to read the book and all of a sudden become a technical genius, I just want a book that talks about the US gov messing things up. :)

I would DEFINITELY recommend for anyone who doesn't know all of the powers that DHS has--because those, although they seem scary and untrue, ARE the truth in our post 9-11 world. The government can tap our phones and detain us without giving us a right to see a judge, attorney, or make a phone call. It's scary. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
4.5 ( )
  thenerdypuffer | Jul 1, 2014 |
4.5 ( )
  thenerdypuffer | Jul 1, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this. And if I had read this when I was a teen I would've loved it even more. ( )
  capiam1234 | Jun 28, 2014 |
Little Brother represents a great step forward in the burgeoning subgenre of dystopian young-adult SF. It brings a greater degree of political sophistication, geekiness and civil disobedience to a genre that was already serving up a milder dose of rebellion. After this, no YA novel will be able to get away with watering down its youthful revolution.

MY favorite thing about “Little Brother” is that every page is charged with an authentic sense of the personal and ethical need for a better relationship to information technology, a visceral sense that one’s continued dignity and independence depend on it: “My technology was working for me, serving me, protecting me. It wasn’t spying on me. This is why I loved technology: if you used it right, it could give you power and privacy.”

I can’t help being on this book’s side, even in its clunkiest moments. It’s a neat story and a cogently written, passionately felt argument.

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoteling, SpringDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huang, AndrewAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneier, BruceAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, who makes me whole
I'm a senior at Cesar Chavez high in San Francisco's sunny Mission district, and that makes me one of the most surveilled people in the world.

The ultimate tale of teen rebellion -- one seventeen-year-old against the surveillance state. Big Brother is watching you. Who's watching back? Marcus is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works -- and how to work the system. Smart, fast and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school's intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems. But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison, where they're mercilessly interrogated for days. When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state, where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319853, Hardcover)

Marcus, a.k.a “w1n5t0n,” is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:26 -0400)

After being interrogated for days by the Department of Homeland Security in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco, California, seventeen-year-old Marcus, released into what is now a police state, decides to use his expertise in computer hacking to set things right.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible