Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Little Brother

by Cory Doctorow

Series: Little Brother (1)

3,8983201,317 (4.06)2 / 243
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (snozzberry)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (SheReads)
    The Hacker Crackdown: Law And Disorder On The Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling (persky)
    persky: The book that turned Doctorow on to the EFF and a real world account of various government agencies cracking down on teenage hackers.
    Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow (ahstrick)
    After by Francine Prose (meggyweg)
    The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian (JFDR)
    The Media Monopoly by Ben H. Bagdikian (strande)
    strande: In chapter thirteen, Ange and Marcus call the media whores. "In fact, that's an insult to hardworking whores everywhere. They're, they're profiteers." Media Monopoly is a whole book about how the media turned into profiteers.
    Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For knowledge, the use and distribution, general purpose. Best for teens.
    So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (snozzberry)
    Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho by Jon Katz (writecathy)
    Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age by Steven Levy (kraaivrouw)
    Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (PghDragonMan)
    Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (kaledrina)
    The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith (kaledrina)
    Z by Michael Thomas Ford (kaledrina)
    Scroogled by Cory Doctorow (Liberuno)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (JFDR)

English (305)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Indonesian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (317)
I got this book as a present from my son who felt I would enjoy it given our similar feelings on the over reaching of the government and NSA encroachments. I have to admit that I was very much hesitant to read this book given that the last time my son told me about one of the best books he had ever read, it was Crooked Little Vein. I am sure he is still snickering about luring me into reading that one. Thankfully, this book is in a totally different realm, so I shan't need nearly as much therapy to get over it.

Little Brother is an excellent book about what happens when the government gets out of hand and dismisses the people's bill of rights. Not too far removed from so very much of what we see happening in the world right now with the NSA and other government agencies that have been allowed to sidestep personal privacy and encroach on people's lives.

The story is told through the eyes of a group of high school kids who are playing a game and are in the wrong place at the wrong time when a bomb blows up the Bay Bridge. They wind up in the hands of Homeland Security on Treasure Island where they are interrogated for days with methods that are barbaric and criminal. When they are finally release, they are given threats of what will happen to them if they speak to anyone of what happened to them.

Through Marcus' eyes, you watch the transformation in the adults in his life as they find ways to accept and cope with the loss of freedom they are subjected to as their city becomes a police state run by Homeland Security. Marcus and his friends decide to wage an electronic war with the government and it becomes a cat and mouse game throughout.

Its a good story and one that needs to be told and needs even more to be read. The biggest problem I have with it is that it is written to the young gamers and computer geeks. Though he does try at times to explain the geek speak in many of the areas, it takes up a very large chunk of the novel and will cost him the readership of many people that don't share the vocabulary and interest in such things as role playing games and such. If his goal is just for the crowd that understands this, then it is fine. Because maybe he is plying to them to spur them into action to change the things he sees happening in the world. If that is his intent, then he has done an excellent job. But, if he wanted to reach a wider audience, he would need to cut some of the geekdom out of the book. The problem is that it is hard to tell which of the two he wants because at one turn he seems to be speaking to the young adult readership and then a few pages along, he seems to be addressing the rest of the readership.

My son tells me that the second book is even better than this one and has also sent that to me. So, when I get to it, I will see if he has made up his mind what his readership is in it. I will hope that it is the more general readership as he has a story to tell that I think needs to be told. He is a very good writer and I did enjoy the book. Particularly, the knowledge that much of what he refers to in the book is actual technology that we currently have. For those that think that people are being paranoid and our privacy is not being encroached upon at an unreasonable level, they really need to read this book. For those that he calls to action in the jacket of the book, I hope they take heed and take up the challenge.
SephiPiderWitch
http://sephipiderwitch.com/little-brother-cory-doctorow/ ( )
  sephibitchwitch | Dec 7, 2014 |
A great book. I plan to read more Cory Doctorow and love his web site Boing Boing. Also this book invoked a sort of need to learn how to program, I have lost that need, but this book reopened my need to learn to write code. So today I went and bought a book on HTML Code. So hoping for new things this year. A book that changed my year! ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
real fun book, about teenagers, and written so a teenager would enjoy it, but it also has themes of Down With The Man, and anti goverment sentiments. Real fun read! ( )
  Mrdrewk | Dec 2, 2014 |
Little Brother is a fairly entertaining book about 16 & 17 year olds in San Francisco turned into a police state by the Department of Homeland Security, how they fight back by subverting the security apparatus's own technology, and ultimately save the day for Truth, Justice, and the Constitution.

That sounds kind of snarky, because the story isn't bad, but it's also only about 1/2 of the novel. The other half is Cory Doctrow explaining basic encryption, RFIDs, data mining, andsurveillance technology along side trying to convince you to worry about your own information security and resist panopticon government. Chance are, if you're reading his book you already know a bunch of that anyway.

Probably the best audience for this book is a friend of yours, in their teens or 20s who doesn't think there is anything wrong with government information drag-nets because "innocent people have nothing to hide" and "it's for our protection" but still might be persuaded otherwise. ( )
  grizzly.anderson | Nov 14, 2014 |
Little Brother represents a great step forward in the burgeoning subgenre of dystopian young-adult SF. It brings a greater degree of political sophistication, geekiness and civil disobedience to a genre that was already serving up a milder dose of rebellion. After this, no YA novel will be able to get away with watering down its youthful revolution.

MY favorite thing about “Little Brother” is that every page is charged with an authentic sense of the personal and ethical need for a better relationship to information technology, a visceral sense that one’s continued dignity and independence depend on it: “My technology was working for me, serving me, protecting me. It wasn’t spying on me. This is why I loved technology: if you used it right, it could give you power and privacy.”

I can’t help being on this book’s side, even in its clunkiest moments. It’s a neat story and a cogently written, passionately felt argument.

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoteling, SpringDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huang, AndrewAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneier, BruceAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, who makes me whole
I'm a senior at Cesar Chavez high in San Francisco's sunny Mission district, and that makes me one of the most surveilled people in the world.

The ultimate tale of teen rebellion -- one seventeen-year-old against the surveillance state. Big Brother is watching you. Who's watching back? Marcus is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works -- and how to work the system. Smart, fast and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school's intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems. But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison, where they're mercilessly interrogated for days. When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state, where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319853, Hardcover)

Marcus, a.k.a “w1n5t0n,” is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:26 -0400)

After being interrogated for days by the Department of Homeland Security in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco, California, seventeen-year-old Marcus, released into what is now a police state, decides to use his expertise in computer hacking to set things right.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible