Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Little Brother

by Cory Doctorow

Series: Little Brother (1)

4,5373601,059 (4.05)2 / 266
    1984 by George Orwell (JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (kellyholmes)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (SheReads)
    The Hacker Crackdown: Law And Disorder On The Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling (persky)
    persky: The book that turned Doctorow on to the EFF and a real world account of various government agencies cracking down on teenage hackers.
    Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow (ahstrick)
    Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (PghDragonMan)
    After by Francine Prose (meggyweg)
    Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For knowledge, the use and distribution, general purpose. Best for teens.
    Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (kaledrina)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    The Media Monopoly by Ben H. Bagdikian (strande)
    strande: In chapter thirteen, Ange and Marcus call the media whores. "In fact, that's an insult to hardworking whores everywhere. They're, they're profiteers." Media Monopoly is a whole book about how the media turned into profiteers.
    Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age by Steven Levy (kraaivrouw)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (JFDR)
    Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho by Jon Katz (writecathy)
    So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (kellyholmes)
    Ink by Sabrina Vourvoulias (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: Both involve dystopias, resistance, oppression, technology, and interesting characters.
    The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian (JFDR)
    The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith (kaledrina)
    The Doubt Factory by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Young people take on the system.

English (346)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Hungarian (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Indonesian (1)  Catalan (1)  All (359)
This is my second time with Little Brother, and I found that I enjoyed it much more this time around. I'm not sure if it's because I'm older, or if the subject matter is more appealing to me, or if I've had a few more years to see this book echoed in society. Or maybe it's because this time around I listened to it as an audiobook. Regardless, I found I couldn't stop until the story was over, even though I recalled the ending pretty clearly.

A summary - the short, short version: the lives of a teenage boy and a group of his friends are forever changed after a terrorist act is committed in their city. While there are some points where Doctorow seems to be schooling the reader through the boy's narration or through dialogue, I didn't mind so much, particularly because the book touches upon areas in which I am not very well versed. The explanations were viable, and the various afterwords gave credence to them.

As mentioned, I listened to the audiobook this time around, and I must say I really enjoyed Kirby Heyborne's reading of the work. He had slightly different tones and inflections for each character that made it easy to distinguish between characters, but nothing outlandish or over the top. He spoke clearly and concisely, and his voice was pleasing - important when it comes to ~10 hours of listening!

This book is definitely high up on the list of works I love by Cory Doctorow, and I suspect I'll be re-reading (or re-listening) again someday! ( )
  Caltania | May 2, 2018 |
I get that this book is being treated well because it is so topical, and I love the kinds of thinking it's presenting.

That being said, the book fails to build any tension and reads like Cory Doctorow is lecturing you the whole time. If you're somewhat tech savvy, that means he's lecturing you on stuff you already know. However, this book is meant for adolescents, and I guess that makes sense. Hopefully it will move kids to be more interested in privacy and liberty, which in this day in age means understanding how technology works and making it work for you.

One layout thing: it is cool that he dedicates each chapter to a different bookstore, but his dedications are at length, so it takes you completely out of the story. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
I'd say more like 2.75 stars, as I really did agree with the message behind the story. The writing really didn't improve, and I found myself rolling my eyes on more than one occasion. Really disappointing. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
After finishing this book I was convinced that I could and should be a hacker. Technobabble = Awesome. Too bad almost all of the characters were straight boring. ( )
  ZoeWashburne | Feb 16, 2018 |
RGG: Amazingly believable story of a teenager who, using technology, organizes a populist rebellion against a homeland security organization who removes personal liberties after a terrorist attack in San Francisco. Scary, exciting, fascinating. Reading Level: YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Feb 5, 2018 |
Little Brother represents a great step forward in the burgeoning subgenre of dystopian young-adult SF. It brings a greater degree of political sophistication, geekiness and civil disobedience to a genre that was already serving up a milder dose of rebellion. After this, no YA novel will be able to get away with watering down its youthful revolution.

MY favorite thing about “Little Brother” is that every page is charged with an authentic sense of the personal and ethical need for a better relationship to information technology, a visceral sense that one’s continued dignity and independence depend on it: “My technology was working for me, serving me, protecting me. It wasn’t spying on me. This is why I loved technology: if you used it right, it could give you power and privacy.”

I can’t help being on this book’s side, even in its clunkiest moments. It’s a neat story and a cogently written, passionately felt argument.

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huang, AndrewAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneier, BruceAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, who makes me whole
I'm a senior at Cesar Chavez high in San Francisco's sunny Mission district, and that makes me one of the most surveilled people in the world.

The ultimate tale of teen rebellion -- one seventeen-year-old against the surveillance state. Big Brother is watching you. Who's watching back? Marcus is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works -- and how to work the system. Smart, fast and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school's intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems. But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison, where they're mercilessly interrogated for days. When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state, where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319853, Hardcover)

Marcus, a.k.a “w1n5t0n,” is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:29 -0400)

After being interrogated for days by the Department of Homeland Security in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco, California, seventeen-year-old Marcus, released into what is now a police state, decides to use his expertise in computer hacking to set things right.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible