Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Little Brother (edition 2010)

by Cory Doctorow

4,1233401,219 (4.05)2 / 257
Member:omelas
Title:Little Brother
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Info:Tor Teen (2010), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Recommendation engine

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

1984 by George Orwell (JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (kellyholmes)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (SheReads)
    The Hacker Crackdown: Law And Disorder On The Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling (persky)
    persky: The book that turned Doctorow on to the EFF and a real world account of various government agencies cracking down on teenage hackers.
    After by Francine Prose (meggyweg)
    Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow (ahstrick)
    Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (PghDragonMan)
    Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age by Steven Levy (kraaivrouw)
    Ink by Sabrina Vourvoulias (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: Both involve dystopias, resistance, oppression, technology, and interesting characters.
    Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho by Jon Katz (writecathy)
    The Media Monopoly by Ben H. Bagdikian (strande)
    strande: In chapter thirteen, Ange and Marcus call the media whores. "In fact, that's an insult to hardworking whores everywhere. They're, they're profiteers." Media Monopoly is a whole book about how the media turned into profiteers.
    Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For knowledge, the use and distribution, general purpose. Best for teens.
    The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian (JFDR)
    So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (kellyholmes)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (JFDR)
    Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (kaledrina)
    Winkie by Clifford Chase (infiniteletters)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.

English (327)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Hungarian (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Indonesian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (340)
Hmm. I admire this author as a person, and I agree with his message, yet I grew bored reading this book. The main character starts out as cocksure and remains that way, despite torture by a disappointingly typical sadistic female-in-power character. A good book makes me believe what's happening in the story. I just didn't believe it.

Why would the entire Homeland Security Department want to torture innocent teenagers? Surely there is some inherent flaw in the government's approach that leads to massive corruption. But no. These were apparently bad guys just for the sake of being bad guys. They let an evil sadist go wild because, apparently, that's just how they roll. I got halfway through the book, waiting for some hint of insight, but there was none; just a lot of ranting from the main characters about "F the police." That's not good enough for me.

The main character won't tell his sympathetic and loving parents that he was a victim of criminal torture, but he'll tell 500 strangers. Why? Because "Don't trust anyone over 25!"

Uh huh. That's not a character I can care about. After a while, he just seemed stupid. The premise of this book has a ton of potential, but I didn't like how it was handled. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
17-year-old Marcus and his friends are in the wrong place at the wrong time and get taken into custody by the Department of Homeland Security and held at length and questioned about the role they played in the bombing of San Francisco. Once released, Marcus is a changed boy/man - and he decides to try to take his city back by turning the DHS use of electronic surveillance against them.

Truly amazing!!! This YA novel illustrates why sacrificing our privacy in order to be "safe" (from terrorists, criminals, etc) is always too high a price to pay. Also, it demonstrates clearly why the best kind of security is the kind that is made public - secrets are not good for security. Anyone who cares about civil liberties, electronic freedom or plain old good fashioned privacy needs to read this book! It makes you paranoid - in a good way. And you get to learn all kinds of cool hacks and how different aspects of computers and software work. Some went over my head, but most was just fascinating. Highly recommended!!!! ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Wow, what a dense and intense novel. At first glance, it seems to be the perfect book for role-playing nerds and computer tech nerds. But it's really a book for everyone to consider how precious our American freedoms are and how important it is to make sure we never lose them. At first I thought the technology described in the book was fictional, a science fiction story for our time, it seemed so realistic. But apparently the technology stuff mentioned is true. This book is best appreciated by the thoughtful teen. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Privacy, encryption, and social story. What could be better? Well done and a fun read. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Kirby Heyborne, the narrator, did an AMAZING job! I really don't know which was better: the story itself or Kirby's narrating, but I'm sure I would have liked this book less if I had picked it in some other format.
I enjoyed the story and it drew me in right from the beginning. Marcus was a great character, I enjoyed listening to his geeky descriptions on how certain technologies work, the history of Hippies and so on, I enjoyed going through ups and downs of his life. Though at times I disapproved of Marcus's decisions and behavior (I wanted him to be tougher).
One more thing, from a book like this I was kind of expecting something more impressive for an ending than that, but I guess it would have ended like this in a real world, too, so my need for something impressive is not so important in this case. The book left me thinking about a few serious issues like security and privacy and how to balance them.
"Little brother" is one of the books I would gladly reread, re-listen to be exact. ( )
  drakonas | Jan 23, 2016 |
Little Brother represents a great step forward in the burgeoning subgenre of dystopian young-adult SF. It brings a greater degree of political sophistication, geekiness and civil disobedience to a genre that was already serving up a milder dose of rebellion. After this, no YA novel will be able to get away with watering down its youthful revolution.

MY favorite thing about “Little Brother” is that every page is charged with an authentic sense of the personal and ethical need for a better relationship to information technology, a visceral sense that one’s continued dignity and independence depend on it: “My technology was working for me, serving me, protecting me. It wasn’t spying on me. This is why I loved technology: if you used it right, it could give you power and privacy.”

I can’t help being on this book’s side, even in its clunkiest moments. It’s a neat story and a cogently written, passionately felt argument.

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoteling, SpringDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huang, AndrewAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneier, BruceAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, who makes me whole
I'm a senior at Cesar Chavez high in San Francisco's sunny Mission district, and that makes me one of the most surveilled people in the world.

The ultimate tale of teen rebellion -- one seventeen-year-old against the surveillance state. Big Brother is watching you. Who's watching back? Marcus is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works -- and how to work the system. Smart, fast and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school's intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems. But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison, where they're mercilessly interrogated for days. When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state, where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319853, Hardcover)

Marcus, a.k.a “w1n5t0n,” is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:29 -0400)

After being interrogated for days by the Department of Homeland Security in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco, California, seventeen-year-old Marcus, released into what is now a police state, decides to use his expertise in computer hacking to set things right.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,251,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible