Histoire romaine by Marcel Le Glay

Histoire romaine (original 1991; edition 2005)

by Marcel Le Glay

Member:hnn
Title:Histoire romaine
Authors:Marcel Le Glay
Info:Presses Universitaires de France - PUF (2005), Broché, 584 pages
Tags:rome

A History of Rome by Marcel Le Glay (1991)

Good chronical history of Rome ( )
  Robinvk93 | Jan 5, 2019 |
Nice review of cultural, political, and religious aspects of the Roman Empire. Again, I didn't read every page of this one, but I found much helpful. It was clearly written, easy to read, and the divisions and table I found helpful.
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is really a comprehensive textbook for students rather than narrative history. If I were a student, this would be invaluable. So, after a couple of chapters, I am stopping reading it through, but will retain for reference. No star rating.
  john257hopper | Jan 17, 2014 |
I think everyone who knows me know that I love history. Even so, this book was one of the most dry, tedious things that I have ever read. This book exhibits exactly what the problem is with the way that history is taught in schools today. It was page after page of unpronounceable names, meaningless dates, and useless terminology. There was not even the slightest attempt at making history a continuous flow, connecting the dots or making it interesting with narrative. In addition, the author seemed to focus the most extensively on the most complex and boring aspects of history such as economics and population numbers. Mind-numbing. The only reason it gets even two stars is because it contains some good material that I can use as a reference later when bare facts and figures are needed. Lots of information; no presentation. ( )
  davidpwithun | Sep 16, 2011 |

This magisterial survey, spanning over 1,300 years, is widely acclaimed as the best single-volume history of Rome. The second edition incorporates a number of improvements including new subject sections and maps, expanded coverage of key chapters, and updated resource and bibliographic material.

Incorporates a number of improvements, many of which have been suggested by readers.

Provides more extensive treatment of key areas.

Includes completely new sections to cover subjects omitted from the first edition.

Continues to include extensive illustrative material - plates, tables, chronologies, and maps (including two new ones).

A more comprehensive index will ensure the book is now easier to use.

Please visit our Roman history website at: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/cherry for on-line resources, details of related books, and a unique cross reference tool to help you make the best use of The Roman World: A Sourcebook and A History of Rome.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

"Spanning over 1,300 years, this popular history of Rome combines an overview of political events with a balanced analysis of social and economic change, and of religious and cultural life." "For the third edition, the book has been revised to incorporate a number of improvements: material on the formation of Rome has been updated to take account of the most recent research; coverage of Roman imperialism and the political world of the first century B.C. has been expanded; a new section on Roman spectacles, including gladiatorial combat and chariot racing has been inserted; and a survey of the sources for Roman history has been added." "The new edition retains an emphasis on the importance of interpreting the varied source material, especially the literary evidence."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,335,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible