The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2 by…

The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2

by Scott Kelby

English (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (2)
I recently purchased a very nice digital camera as a reward to myself for paying off the last penny of my grad school loans. I'd been lusting after something sleek and sexy for awhile, so as soon as it came in, I zipped through some recommendations and ordered half a dozen books to teach me all the tips and tricks I'd never pick up on my own.

Scott Kelby's two books (he actually has three, but I've only read the first two) are delightful and immensely helpful. They're designed for pseudo-beginners - it's probably good if you know a /little/ about how cameras work in principle, but not necessary. He says that he's going to treat the book as if you're out on a shoot with him, asking how to get certain effects, and he'll give you practical, useful answers.

He does. The chapters are clear, the hints, tips, and tricks short and easy to read (making it ideal for reading with your camera next to you, so that you can try things out instantly), and his tone, while occasionally verging on the cheesy, is amusing and light. He'll do everything from tell you how to get a great portrait to give you advice on framing landscapes to avoid an amateur look.

Perhaps the best and most unexpected benefit is that Scott will tell you how to actually /work/ your camera, if it's a Nikon or Canon (there are actually pictures of many of the menus) and opened up my eyes to a billion tiny settings that my last manual camera (not a digital) didn't even dream of being able to have. He de-mystified white balance, highlights, framing grids, and a dozen other new-to-me capabilities of my camera.

If you're looking to get started on digital photography with a camera that does more than point and shoot, you can't go wrong with these books. And while I found vol. 2 to be a tiny bit repetitive, there was more new inside than old, and I'd recommend both equally. ( )
1 vote Aerrin99 | Jun 10, 2010 |
There are three volumes of the work 'The digital photography book'. These are different volumes with different ISBN numbers and publication dates.

Scott Kelby, author of the groundbreaking bestseller “The Digital Photography Book, Vol. 1” is back with an entirely new book that picks up right where Vol. 1 left off. It’s more of that “Ah ha—so that’s how they do it,” straight-to-the-point, skip the techno jargon; packed with stuff you can really use today, that made Vol. 1 the world’s bestselling book on digital photography.

In Volume 2, Scott adds entirely new chapters packed with Plain English tips on using flash, shooting close up photography, travel photography, shooting people, and even how to build a studio from scratch, where he demystifies the process so anyone can start taking pro-quality portraits today! Plus, he's got full chapters on his most requested topics, including loads of tips for landscape photographers, wedding photographers, and there's an entire chapter devoted to sharing some of the pro's secrets for making your photos look more professional, no matter what you're shooting.

This book truly has a brilliant premise, and here’s how Scott describes it: “If you and I were out on a shoot, and you asked me, ‘When I use my flash, the background behind the person I’m shooting turns black. How do I fix that?’ I wouldn’t give you a lecture on flash ratios, or start a discussion on flash synchronization and rear curtain sync. I’d just say “Lower your shutter speed to 1/60 of a second. That should do it” Well, that’s what this book is all about: you and I out shooting where I answer questions, give you advice, and share the secrets I’ve learned just like I would with a friend—without all the technical explanations and techie photo speak.”

Each page covers a single concept on how to make your photography better. Every time you turn the page, you’ll learn another pro setting, tool, or trick to transform your work from snapshots into gallery prints. If you’re tired of taking shots that look “okay,” and if you’re tired of looking in photography magazines and thinking, “Why don’t my shots look like that?” then this is the book for you.

This isn’t a book of theory—full of confusing jargon and detailed concepts. This is a book on which button to push, which setting to use, and when to use it. With nearly another 200 of the most closely guarded photographic “tricks of the trade,” this book gets you shooting dramatically better-looking, sharper, more colorful, more professional-looking photos every time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:44 -0400)

Furnishes an overview of the latest in digital technology, including cameras and equipment, as well as the essential techniques and skills of the photographic process--exposure, lighting, shutter speed, depth of field, and resolution--and tips on how to avoid hours of photo-editing by taking great photographs the first time.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,230,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible