The Loss of a Pet by Wallace Sife

The Loss of a Pet

by Wallace Sife

271402,159 (4)1

I don't have much experience with self-help books, but this one is well written, and most of the insight is probably applicable to other kinds of loss as well. I did not read the book straight through, and skipped some chapters that were not relevant to me, or that I just didn't want to read. Other chapters, I have read every day.

I bought this book the day after my sweet little black cat passed away. One of the most helpful insights of this book is the permission it gives to grieve my pet, and acknowledgement that some people won't understand why it's so hard to have lost her. The book has several pictures of memorials to pets, many of them look quite old, and I have enjoyed them at times as much as the text.

This book will not heal your pain, but it will guide you to acceptance. If there are stages of grief, I think I am going through them all every day, but every day is a little less traumatic. That's as much as I could have hoped for from this book. ( )
  sarah-e | Apr 20, 2012 |

Understanding helps heal the hurt when you lose a pet

A cherished pet gives you boundless, unconditional love and occupies a special place in your routine, your home, and your heart. When your pet dies, that warm, special place becomes a sad, empty space. This book helps you understand:
* The grieving process, including typical stages of grief and techniques for coping
* Grieving for a missing pet, one you had to give up because of a change in life situation, and other difficult circumstances
* Children and the death of a pet
* Euthanasia, including important considerations
* Religion and the death of a pet, with articles by various religious leaders
* Aftercare facilities, including an extensive index of pet cemeteries, crematories, and memorial gardens

The Loss of a Pet, Third Edition has new expanded information, is filled with practical suggestions, resources, and most importantly, compassion and understanding. This important book helps you cope and reassures you that you are not alone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,389,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible