Lamplighter by D. M. Cornish

Lamplighter (2008)

by D. M. Cornish

4451923,513 (4.09)37

The second book in the Monster Blood Trilogy finds us once again immersed in the Half-Continent world, where Rossamund has taken up his sworn duties as an Imperial Lamplighter on behalf of the emperor. A life of high adventure and dangerous escapades soon loses it's appeal as the responsibilities of ensuring the illumination and safety of the highway roads becomes a daily battle to stay alive against the monsters the run rampant in the wild. Furthermore, a conspiracy surrounding the mighty fortress, Winstermill, where all new lamplighters are trained causes Rossamund to doubt not only his future career in the imperial forces but his loyalty to the humans is also called into question.

Once again, I am in awe of the sheer amount of details and thought that Cornish has put into his world building. If the explicarium is any evidence of his labour of love, then the trilogy itself is the crowning achievement of all his boy hood years spent drawing and dreaming. This is a series worth investigating if you can appreciate the vast amounts of new terms, lingoes, and ideas that the author creates, but be forewarned, it is a world like none other. ( )
3 vote jolerie | Oct 19, 2011 |
Continuing from where we left off in the previous book Rossamund finally joins the Lamplighter corps. He's in training and finds friends, a girl joins the corps and gives him mixed signals and he also finds enemies. We finally find out more about him, and he finds that all is not what he believed.

It's an interesting story, that did occasionally get bogged down in detail but was still an interesting read. I did sometimes wish that the author didn't try to reinvent the english language as he went, but it did add to the atmosphere. I would suggest having both this one and the first book nearby for reference purposes. I'm now curious what happens next. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 16, 2011 |
This is the second book in the fabulously titled "Monster Blood Tattoo" trilogy by Australian writer and author David Cornish. It follows on straight from the first book, with Rossamünd as an apprentice lamplighter. He continues his knack of being in the wrong place at the wrong (right?) time, and continues to attract difficult but fascinating women, in this case Threnody, a young woman who chooses to leave her privileged life to be independent from her overbearing mother. We find out more about Rossamünd's background, and some of our suspicions from the first book are firmed up.

This time the constant new names and words grated more than the first book (eg, an adam's apple is a gourmand's cork, which is cute, but wearying after the 20th or so definition), and it did have the usual problem of a middle book: the hero sits around, waiting for the excitement of the third (and final) instalment of his tale. Still, the good bits were good, and I did like the illustrations as usual, so a solid 7/10. And I'm bothering the library for the third book, which they've just added to the catalogue. :) ( )
  wookiebender | Dec 6, 2010 |
I found this, the second book in the Monster Blood Tattoo series, to be much better than the first. Foundling was enjoyable and different, creating a new world with strange terminology and even stranger characters, but it took some time to really take off and I found the new words interfered with the reading flow (despite the explicarium at the back of the book). Lamlighter starts and ends with a bang. The pace is fast, the monsters fierce, the main characters mysterious and refreshingly neither all good nor all bad. By the end I found myself thinking in this new language and wanting to pick up my fodicar, search for a fulger and become her factotum rather than a measly lamplighter. There is also some serious thought-provoking stuff behind this novel: are monsters those who behave like them or only those who look like them? Can humans be monsters and monsters be humane? The last chapter left me desperately awaiting the third book in the series (I think due in September). Refreshingly unique fantasy. Recommended for adults and older children alike. ( )
2 vote historymystery | Apr 9, 2010 |
Orphan Rossamünd Bookchild has been sworn into the Emperor's service—his duty is to light the lamps along the Emperor's highways and protect travelers from the ferocious bogles that live in the wild. But he's found it no easier to fit in with the lamplighters than he did with the foundlings—always too small and too meek—and his loneliness continues no matter how hard he tries to succeed. But when a haughty young girl, a member of a suspiciously regarded society of all-women teratologists— monster hunters—is forced upon the lamplighters for training, Rossamünd is no longer the most despised soul around. As Rossamünd begins to make new friends in the dangerous world of the Half-Continent, he also seems to make more enemies, finding himself pushed toward a destiny that he could never have imagined.
  cranbrook | Jun 5, 2009 |
For TJ, my besterest friend
The short run of road that went east from Winstermill to Wellnigh House had a reputation as the easiest watch on the Wormway--and for the most part it was.

Rossamünd Bookchild is finally becoming a lamplighter. Sworn into the Emperor's service, his duty is to light the lamps along the Emperor's highways, and protect all travelers from the ferocious bogles that live in the wild. But he's found it no easier to fit in with the lamplighters than he ever has - always too small and too meek, his loneliness continues no matter how hard he tries to succeed. But when a haughty young girl, a member of a suspiciously-regarded society of all-women teratologists is forced upon the lamplighters for training, Rossamünd might no longer be the most despised soul around.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:34 -0400)

As Rosamund starts his life as a lamplighter on the Wormway, he continues his fight against monsters, making friends and enemies along the way, but questions about his origins continue to plague him. Includes glossary.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible