Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of…

The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World (2001)

by Michael Pollan

Recently added byReGravelyn, e-zReader, jskrones, private library, GMcSo, nilmarsh555, warrickwynne, bbyrer, ossantiago
    Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart (clif_hiker)
    Tulipomania : The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower & the Extraordinary Passions It Aroused by Mike Dash (lorax)
    lorax: The Dutch "tulip mania" touched on in this book is explored in more detail in Tulipomania.
    Shrinking the cat by Sue Hubbell (lorax)
    lorax: Both books are case studies of human breeding and selection of four domestic species; while the focus of the two is different there's enough overlap to create common interest, and both books choose apples as one of the species of interest.

English (124)  German (1)  All languages (125)
I know next to nothing about botany and so found this lively book about how humans and plants domesticate each other fascinating. It was about apples, tulips, marijuana and potatoes, from Johnny Appleseed to Monsanto. Tasty. (November 26, 2006) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I started reading this book soon after my sister died, and all I could think about while I was reading it was how much I wished I could call her up and talk with her about gardening, genetics, history, and food. I feel as if without her input, my review of this book is going to be half-assed because I haven't talked about it with anyone.

Michael Pollan's writing is up to his usual high standard. The main question this book tries to answer is, "Do we choose plants or do they choose us?" Who decides what plants go on to fame and fortune, and which fall by the genetic wayside of history? "Humans" would seem like the immediate answer, but plants have ingenious ways of making sure that they are alluring and/or useful to humans, thus assuring their continued evolutionary survival.

In his efforts to answer this question, and other questions that spawned the ideas for this book, Pollan looks at four plants: the apple, the tulip, marijuana, and the potato, and how they meet the human need for sweetness, beauty, intoxication, and control. In his research, he travels to Amsterdam (tulips and marijuana), the American Midwest (apples and potatoes), and Kazakhstan (the apple).

His main conclusion is that while humans have sought to influence and control nature in the plant world, inevitably nature overrules human influence and has her way with us eventually, regardless of what we try to do. This book was first published in 2001, and since then, Pollan has written extensively about food and the importance of getting closer to the source of one's food in books such as "The Omnivore's Dilemma," "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto" and "Food Rules." Reading this book was an interesting introduction to see how his thoughts began to develop in favor of a food chain that was minimally processed and less industrialized and chemically-dependent. ( )
  harrietbrown | May 22, 2019 |
Apples. Tulips. Marijuana. Potatoes.

Third subject aside, I didn't see how these topics could be at all provocative. But then of course I'd forgotten about Tulipomania and the Great Potato Famine, the former being a bizarre highlight in world history, and I had never guessed at how intricate the story behind breeding the many varieties of all of those plants could be. It makes you look at the produce section a little diffrently.

This was a lot of fun to read, I can see why Michael Pollan is such a popular writer. He was knowledgeable, funny, and suitably wide-eyed at the discoveries he made and was able to share. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Good read. Enjoyable writing style and sense of humor. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
I tried to listen to this audiobook but didn't finish. It seemed wordy and repetitive in spots. I DNF. Maybe I'd enjoy it better in paper so I could skim over the philosophical wanderings and focus on the interesting facts... I liked a lot of what he had to say but I felt like I was being beaten over the head with it. I like to be allowed some room to make connections and come to conclusions myself and not have every little idea spelled out over and over again.
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
In other words, human desire shapes the plants that then shape human desire. In displaying for us, in his graceful and literate way, the intricacies of the mechanisms involved, Mr. Pollan shines a light on our own nature as well as on our implication in the natural world.

It's an absorbing subject, and Pollan, like his hero, brings a clutch of quirky talents to the task of exploring it. He has a wide-ranging intellect, an eager grasp of evolutionary biology and a subversive streak that helps him root out some wonderfully counterintuitive points. His prose both shimmers and snaps, and he has a knack for finding perfect quotes in the oddest places (George Eliot is somehow made to speak for the sense-attenuating value of a good high). Best of all, Pollan really loves plants.

Michael Pollanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, who never doubted (or if they did, never let it show); and my grandfather, with gratitude
The seeds of this book were first planted in my garden--while I was planting seeds, as a matter of fact.

This work explores the nature of domesticated plants from the dual perspective of humans and the plants themselves. Pollan presents case studies that mirror four types of human desires that are reflected in the way that we selectively grow, breed, and genetically engineer our plants. The apple reflects the desire of sweetness, the tulip beauty, marijuana pleasure and the potato sustenance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375760393, Paperback)

Working in his garden one day, Michael Pollan hit pay dirt in the form of an idea: do plants, he wondered, use humans as much as we use them? While the question is not entirely original, the way Pollan examines this complex coevolution by looking at the natural world from the perspective of plants is unique. The result is a fascinating and engaging look at the true nature of domestication.

In making his point, Pollan focuses on the relationship between humans and four specific plants: apples, tulips, marijuana, and potatoes. He uses the history of John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) to illustrate how both the apple's sweetness and its role in the production of alcoholic cider made it appealing to settlers moving west, thus greatly expanding the plant's range. He also explains how human manipulation of the plant has weakened it, so that "modern apples require more pesticide than any other food crop." The tulipomania of 17th-century Holland is a backdrop for his examination of the role the tulip's beauty played in wildly influencing human behavior to both the benefit and detriment of the plant (the markings that made the tulip so attractive to the Dutch were actually caused by a virus). His excellent discussion of the potato combines a history of the plant with a prime example of how biotechnology is changing our relationship to nature. As part of his research, Pollan visited the Monsanto company headquarters and planted some of their NewLeaf brand potatoes in his garden--seeds that had been genetically engineered to produce their own insecticide. Though they worked as advertised, he made some startling discoveries, primarily that the NewLeaf plants themselves are registered as a pesticide by the EPA and that federal law prohibits anyone from reaping more than one crop per seed packet. And in a interesting aside, he explains how a global desire for consistently perfect French fries contributes to both damaging monoculture and the genetic engineering necessary to support it.

Pollan has read widely on the subject and elegantly combines literary, historical, philosophical, and scientific references with engaging anecdotes, giving readers much to ponder while weeding their gardens. --Shawn Carkonen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

Focusing on the human relationship with plants, the author of Second nature uses botany to explore four basic human desires, sweetness, beauty, intoxication, and control, through portraits of four plants that embody them, the apple, tulip, marijuana, and potato. Every school child learns about the mutually beneficial dance of honeybees and flowers; the bee collects nectar and pollen to make honey and, in the process, spreads the flowers' genes far and wide. In The botany of desire, Michael Pollan ingeniously demonstrates how people and domesticated plants have formed a similarly reciprocal relationship. In telling the stories of four familiar species that are deeply woven into the fabric of our lives, Pollan illustrates how the plants have evolved to satisfy humankind's most basic yearnings. And just as we've benefited from these plants, the plants have done well by us. So who is really domesticating whom?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible