A Girl Named Charlie Lester by Carissa…

A Girl Named Charlie Lester

by Carissa Halston

This book is reviewed by Steve since I have not had the chance to read this book yet...

An absolutely brilliant novel about identity, sexuality, gender, and growing up. In the novel Halston explores the ways in which "what do I want to do with my life?" frequently belies the deeper question of "who am I?" The flashback framework shows us Charlie as a well-rounded adult in contrast to Charlie the messed-up, angst-ridden post-teen. Charlie's not always easy to love in these flashbacks, and she doesn't always make the wisest choices. But these mistakes shape her, and in the end every one was worth making. Anyone who reads this book will find something to relate to in its pages.
  KrissZane | Sep 1, 2010 |
I received this book as part of a Member Giveaway and if I had had the time, I would have done nothing else but read this book in one sitting. (As it was, I read it in three days.) I am grateful for the opportunity to read this novel.

A Girl Named Charlie Lester is a riveting piece of fiction. Halston tells the story of Charlie's journey from the abused and confused teen to a confident woman, without turning Charlie into a victim. The characters felt genuine and I appreciated the ambiguity in their personalities and at times within their sexualities. Halston writes about love in a way that is real and not cliche- sometimes the people you love are not who you expect.

Funny, sweet and at times, poignant, Halston's work entertains and leaves me wanting more! ( )
  Chirtie | Apr 15, 2010 |
This funny, touching, coming-of-age tale follows the life of Charlie Lester through her ups, downs, and those inevitable sideways movements. Told in alternating chapters (teenage Charlie, adult Charlie), this book provides a witty, insightful, and sometimes sad, look at the life of Charlie as she learns to understand herself and the world around her. Definitely recommended! ( )
  griffonnage | Jul 12, 2008 |
Excellent book. Grabs the reader's attention and runs with it.
The dialogue is intelligent and witty.
Extremely easy to connect with the characters and hard to let go after the book was finished.
By the way, did I mention it was a great story?

Read this book ( )
  Helpless | Mar 28, 2008 |
Charlie's journey...will be totally familiar to those of her generation. She is thrust into a world of casual cruelties and sexual exploitation, where naiveté and economic desperation can force denigrating choices on people for no better reason than their own vulnerability.

"A Girl Named Charlie Lester" is "Reality Bites" without the cheesy romantic ending or a soulful Ethan Hawke gazing into the camera.

"The razory hip Charlie sallies forth from a hateful adolescence to find sex, self-awareness and then, in its many guises, the thing called love...sweet but not saccharine, emotionally generous...Halston lets the characters’ actions speak for them and, as a result, well-rounded personalities emerge. Charlie is a gem...[a] lovely piece of female confessional."
added by Doodlebugs | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 22, 2008)

Charlie Lester grows from a confused teenager to a somewhat less confused adult, selling books along the way. She falls for Ray, a girl who sees all the good in her despite Charlie being unable to see it herself.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Carissa Halston's book A Girl Named Charlie Lester was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Carissa Halston is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,595,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible