Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Audrey, Wait! (2008)

by Robin Benway

English (65)  French (1)  All (66)
I love this book so much. I recommend it to anyone obsessed with music whether you have Audrey's tastes or not. She'll start describing the feeling of a song and you're just like, "Yes. Yes, I totally understand this," and it's a pretty beautiful moment.

Aside from that, it's just a great story with great characters and great writing. Audrey is unique and cool and goes through serious character growth (always a plus), while Victoria is pretty important herself. Jonah's cool. James is cool. Evan is cool. Bendomalena is cool. Sharon isn't so cool, but that's the point.

All of the characters are very real, which is what I appreciate most. They overreact to situations that real people would overreact to. So while you're sitting there with Audrey, you're like, "Dammit why are you reacting this way, chill out!" But then you step out of her shoes and realize that really, you'd probably react that way too. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's very well done.

Plus, the relationship between Audrey and her parents is awesome. A very nice break from the typical parent-teenage angst. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 7, 2017 |
Cute book. Easy read. Definite recommend. ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |
Audrey breaks up with her musician boyfriend, Evan, who then goes on to write a song about it - and the song soars up the charts, sending the band on tour and Audrey unwillingly into the limelight. She just wants to be a normal (well, normal-ish) high school junior, going to concerts with her best friend Victoria and dating her co-worker at the Scooper Dooper, James, but the paparazzi follow her everywhere. Will they ever go away? Will she have a chance to set the record straight about what really happened?

This is the second novel I've read by Robin Benway, and again she excels at writing great friend characters and including the parents in the story (so many YA authors leave them out entirely, when parents are usually a big part of a teen's life, like it or not). She also raises issues like the importance of privacy, the craziness of the media, and the importance of doing what you know is the right thing, no matter what others think.

Quotes

It's funny how bed and pillows and covers can change a conversation. Words turn quiet and you mean more and say less. (45)

"The way I see it, if crazy people hate you, you're ahead of the game." (Victoria to Audrey, 125) ( )
  JennyArch | Dec 4, 2015 |
I originally thought this would just be an entertaining book about a high school girl who breaks up with her boyfriend, then becomes famous after he writes a song about her. On one level, I was right. The book was full of song lyrics, concerts, and backstage parties. It was fun to live vicariously through Audrey, but it was also amusing because she was so witty. I quickly realized that I was more invested in the book than I had thought when the drama escalated. Benway created some amazing, realistic characters that really drew me in, and even I have to admit that the climax made me tear up a little. It's a very powerful book about remaining true to yourself despite the circumstances, and I really enjoyed reading it. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I loved this book! Audrey is a regular 16 year old until she breaks up with her boyfriend, Evan. Evan is the lead singer of the Do-Gooders, a high school band. After the break up Evan writes a song that shoots to the top of the charts (all the charts). 'Audrey, wait!' catapults Audrey into the spotlight; school mates want to be her friend, struggling bands want to be inspired by her, tv, magazines and newspapers want interviews. Audrey just wants to be a normal kid. This is the story of how that is not possible, and what happens next. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
"A first novel with a voice that sings."
added by Awesomeness1 | editPublishers Weekly (starred review)

"Anyone who's felt the slightest smidgen of sympathy for Britney Spears will enjoy this humorous, energetic, and intelligent coming-of-age story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Los Angeles Times

Muses work all day long and then at night get together and dance. --Edgar Degas
Oh, baby, here comes the sound! --My Chemical Romance, "Give 'Em Hell, Kid"
For my mother, who always says, "You have to have faith." And for my brother, who always has.
The day I broke up with my boyfriend Evan was the day he wrote the song.
Okay. Audrey? Let me introduce you to something called The Point. You are missing it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514191X, Hardcover)

California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, ?Audrey, Wait!,? a break-up song that?s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can?t hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

While trying to score a date with her cute co-worker at the Scooper Dooper, sixteen-year-old Audrey gains unwanted fame and celebrity status when her ex-boyfriend, a rock musician, records a breakup song about her that soars to the top of the Billboard charts.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,053,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible