Audrey, wait! by Robin Benway

Audrey, wait! (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Robin Benway

Member:jen.tchida
Title:Audrey, wait!
Authors:Robin Benway
Info:New York : Razorbill, c2008.

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway (2008)

English (58)  French (1)  All languages (59)
I read this delightful little book last week but I got so caught up in the Divergent/Insurgent mania that I’ve left the review until now.

This book was great, I have nothing positive sunshiney rays of feeling toward it. Much like the technicolor rays blasting from Audrey rockin’ out on the cover.

The story is sublimely simple: Audrey Cuttler dumps her rock-god wannabe loser boyfriend and in doing so provides the catalyst to propel him, and herself, to stardom. Her somewhat callous decision to keep walking right out the door when he calls “Audrey, Wait!” (though I get it, sometimes you gotta keep walking or the sad breakup tractor beam will pull you right back into the relationship) inspires him to write an angry scorned-lover pop rock anthem that takes their town, then college radio, then the country by storm. Suddenly all eyes are on Audrey as she is cast as either muse or heartless bitch, depending on who’s doing the talking.

Audrey is in no way enjoying being suddenly thrust into the limelight, she’s just a normal chick who broke up with a crummy boyfriend, but she tries to deal and hopes it will blow over soon. While taking advantage of an unexpected perk of her instant-celebrity, she accidentally boosts herself to infamy status and front-page tabloid fodder. Her best friend encourages her to milk her fifteen minutes for every free cosmetic and comped ticket it’s worth, but Audrey is having a hard time seeing the silver lining when she can’t even attend classes without paparazzi snapping her through the windows.

This book is absolutely solid, just a great read and one I would definitely pass on to my fame-hungry pre-teen niece. Audrey is one of the most believable sixteen-year-olds I have ever read in YA fiction: bursting with energy and charisma, in love with music and life, makes some pretty poor snap decisions that haunt her later, and is more swayed by public opinion than by her own assessment of things. The ex, Evan, is the ubiquitous sixteen-year-old boy in a band without devolving into a stereotype. It is easy to see why Audrey was dating him in the first place, and it’s equally as easy to see why she would dump him. Audrey’s co-worker at the local ice-cream shop and potential love interest James is the kind of stand-up guy teenage girls overlook every day, and it’s to her credit that Audrey recognizes her own shallowness in writing him off. Their romance develops over the course of the novel and is not without its hiccups, it makes for great reading.

One of the best things about this book is one of the more subtle aspects: Audrey’s support system. Far from suffering from disappearing-parent syndrome, Audrey’s are there every step of the way trying to navigate this unexpected situation with her. They never fly off the handle and confine her to her room, but they don’t allow her college-student levels of latitude either. Both parents listen to their daughter first no matter what the tabloid covers say, and the whole relationship is totally refreshing in a sea of absentee parents or draconian taskmasters. Equally refreshing is Audrey’s aforementioned best friend, Victoria, a true-blue bestie who sticks by Audrey even when she’s being a whiny brat and steers her toward all the things that are good for her: good guys, good times, good vibes. I was so glad the author didn’t take the “jealousy-related falling out” or “suddenly ultra-competitive user” route with this friendship (even if Audrey may have perceived some of it that way).

Another fun part of the novel is that each chapter starts with an appropriate lyric from a song, after awhile I got on Spotify and started playing them as I read. It added a little something to this energetic read.

There is nothing I would change about this book, so I hope all of you pick it up and give it a chance because it’s a fun read (with the happiest ending)! ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
Audrey, Wait! is definitely a fun book that made me laugh, shake my head, and sometimes even roll my eyes at the antics of the characters in this book. The book isn’t perfect, but I will give the story props for being original and engaging. Even though Audrey is not a character I think I would be friends with in real life, she is kind of a breath of fresh air in YA. She breaks free of so many of the YA protagonist stereotypes. She’s not really insecure, has good relationships with her parents, and has a pretty healthy self-identity without veering into too extreme territory, even though she can be dramatic at times.

The characters in this book act & talk like real high school students(at least in my experience), even if they’re possibly a little more witty. But the fact alone is just REFRESHING. I can believe Audrey is a real person. Her love interest, James, is cute and charming without being the overboard best-guy-ever character. They get into fights. They say stupid things. Overall, they’re teenagers, and they act like it without seeming too mature or too young. Robin Benway does an excellent job of striking that balance.

A love of music also permeates this book, making it just so FUN. I’m not like Audrey at all in my music taste (I prefer acoustic whereas she likes her music rock-your-socks-off loud), I really like all the ties to music this book had. Between the concerts and CDs and Evan’s band, this book does a really great job about remind you why you like music, even if your taste differs from the character’s.

Is the plot a bit far-fetched? Yes. But that’s what makes it so entertaining. It may not be believable, but it does happen. With one song, Audrey becomes one of those people who’s famous for. . . being famous? She does nothing to earn her popularity besides walking out on her boyfriend, and the result is a quirky teenager girl who has to deal with the tricky world of paparazzi and being in the limelight all the time. It’s the kind of book that shows fame and attention definitely can be much harder than it looks.(I wouldn’t want to be in Audrey’s shoes!)

Even though I really enjoyed this book, I did feel a little let down by the ending, which is why it ends up being a 3 star read. I know this is a light and fun book and doesn’t need to be filled with angst and more drama(nor would I want it to be), but the resolution happens a little too quickly. I think it could have gone a little deeper and let the tied-up loose ends be tied up just a little slower. This book also breaks the fourth wall, as the story is basically Audrey telling her side of what happened after all the events have already past. Normally, I am all for breaking the fourth wall(I love this trope so much, actually), but in this case I can’t help but to wonder if I would have enjoyed it more if the action started while the story was still unfolding.

Final Impression: Even though the ending resolved a little too quickly for my liking, Audrey, Wait! was an insanely fun book that still managed to deal with some pressing issues. I flew threw it and was so refreshed by the realness of the characters, and definitely laughed out loud in some places. I highly recommend Audrey, Wait! when you’re in the mood for a light contemporary. A (strong) 3/5 stars.

Review to be posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
When Audrey and her pop-star boyfriend Evan split, a lot of relief was taken from Audrey's life. A few weeks after the break-up, Evan writes a mega hit song about their split. This song catches the attention of people everywhere. It became on of the songs that don't get out of your head and just stick! Almost like all of the One Direction songs. Audrey's best friend helps her get through all of the Paparazzi and embarrassment, but you will have to read the book to find out if she actually escapes this horrid adventure.

I enjoyed Audrey Wait! It talked a lot about high-school drama and real life situations. It really intrigued me because I surprisingly could relate to some of the awkward situations. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading dramatic life-like stories about the teen years. ( )
  br14elmo | Nov 22, 2013 |
I thought this was a good book for teens, mostly girls aging from 14-17. It showed how quick people can be to rise to "celebrity" status over nothing and are mostly used in order for others to make a profit. I like how the main character was able to keep her sense of humor throughout the craziness. I also liked that the author did not downplay the fact that teens are not oblivious to all that is going on, but they are definitely in their own world much of the time. I also liked that the author seemed very in-touch with what teens do and see. I did NOT like the fact that the second to last page mentioned a name and then changed the name about 6 lines down, but at least it was kept the same on the next page. I am still bothered by it, which puts a slight blemish on an otherwise enjoyable, fun read. ( )
  TeamDewey | Apr 13, 2013 |
Almost gave it a 2 for the crash-landing ending. When you go from climax of rising action to ending in 4 pages, there's an issue. No story wraps up the quickly or that easily. It invalidates the investment readers make when you tack on something rushed that ties every up in a pretty bow.
That said sometimes the dialogue got tiresome. Too quippy and cutesy at times.
Outside of these two issues I liked the story's originalness. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
"A first novel with a voice that sings."
added by Awesomeness1 | editPublishers Weekly (starred review)

"Anyone who's felt the slightest smidgen of sympathy for Britney Spears will enjoy this humorous, energetic, and intelligent coming-of-age story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Los Angeles Times

Muses work all day long and then at night get together and dance. --Edgar Degas
Oh, baby, here comes the sound! --My Chemical Romance, "Give 'Em Hell, Kid"
For my mother, who always says, "You have to have faith." And for my brother, who always has.
The day I broke up with my boyfriend Evan was the day he wrote the song.
Okay. Audrey? Let me introduce you to something called The Point. You are missing it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514191X, Hardcover)

California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, ?Audrey, Wait!,? a break-up song that?s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can?t hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:34 -0400)

While trying to score a date with her cute co-worker at the Scooper Dooper, sixteen-year-old Audrey gains unwanted fame and celebrity status when her ex-boyfriend, a rock musician, records a breakup song about her that soars to the top of the Billboard charts.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,915,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible