Audrey, wait! by Robin Benway

Audrey, wait! (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Robin Benway

Member:jen.tchida
Title:Audrey, wait!
Authors:Robin Benway
Info:New York : Razorbill, c2008.

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway (2008)

English (64)  French (1)  English (65)
Cute book. Easy read. Definite recommend. ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |
Audrey breaks up with her musician boyfriend, Evan, who then goes on to write a song about it - and the song soars up the charts, sending the band on tour and Audrey unwillingly into the limelight. She just wants to be a normal (well, normal-ish) high school junior, going to concerts with her best friend Victoria and dating her co-worker at the Scooper Dooper, James, but the paparazzi follow her everywhere. Will they ever go away? Will she have a chance to set the record straight about what really happened?

This is the second novel I've read by Robin Benway, and again she excels at writing great friend characters and including the parents in the story (so many YA authors leave them out entirely, when parents are usually a big part of a teen's life, like it or not). She also raises issues like the importance of privacy, the craziness of the media, and the importance of doing what you know is the right thing, no matter what others think.

Quotes

It's funny how bed and pillows and covers can change a conversation. Words turn quiet and you mean more and say less. (45)

"The way I see it, if crazy people hate you, you're ahead of the game." (Victoria to Audrey, 125) ( )
  JennyArch | Dec 4, 2015 |
I originally thought this would just be an entertaining book about a high school girl who breaks up with her boyfriend, then becomes famous after he writes a song about her. On one level, I was right. The book was full of song lyrics, concerts, and backstage parties. It was fun to live vicariously through Audrey, but it was also amusing because she was so witty. I quickly realized that I was more invested in the book than I had thought when the drama escalated. Benway created some amazing, realistic characters that really drew me in, and even I have to admit that the climax made me tear up a little. It's a very powerful book about remaining true to yourself despite the circumstances, and I really enjoyed reading it. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I loved this book! Audrey is a regular 16 year old until she breaks up with her boyfriend, Evan. Evan is the lead singer of the Do-Gooders, a high school band. After the break up Evan writes a song that shoots to the top of the charts (all the charts). 'Audrey, wait!' catapults Audrey into the spotlight; school mates want to be her friend, struggling bands want to be inspired by her, tv, magazines and newspapers want interviews. Audrey just wants to be a normal kid. This is the story of how that is not possible, and what happens next. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Robin Benway’s young adult novel “Audrey, Wait!” centers around an ordinary teenager from California, Audrey Cuttler, who loves music, works at an ice cream shop and has, in her own words, an elephantine cat. But after Audrey breaks up with her self-centered boyfriend and he writes a song about it, everything changes seemingly overnight. As the song “Audrey, Wait!” races up the charts, Audrey gets caught in the spotlight and cannot even leave the house without a mob of paparazzi documenting her every step. All Audrey wants is to hang out with her friends, go to concerts and maybe score a date with a cute guy from her work, but all of that suddenly seems like an impossible dream.

1) Entertaining and enjoyable read.
“Audrey, Wait!” is a light and quick read with short chapters and nice flow. It is part a teen drama, part a sweet romantic comedy, and even though the plot is a little bit predictable, it’s nonetheless entertaining and enjoyable.

2) Realistic downside of being famous.
Although I am sure that quite a few girls would dream of being in Audrey’s shoes, Benway depicts (and does so very believably, I should add) how stressful, frustrating and exhausting it might be, especially if all the fame comes undeserved and unwanted.

3) Audrey’s parents are great!
Quite often parents in similar teenage-oriented novels are either lame and oblivious, or are being made fun of, or both, and I am sick and tired of that. For a change, Audrey’s parents are understanding, caring, supportive and kind of cool, and although Audrey doesn’t tell EVERYTHING to her parents and sometimes thinks they are unreasonable and weird, she loves and respects them, which, in my opinion, is way more realistic.

4) For music fans.
Chapter titles in “Audrey, Wait!” are song lyrics, but since I never heard most of these songs and didn’t even recognize most of the bands, this feature didn’t have any effect on me. However, I imagine that someone who is way more into music than I am would appreciate this detail as well as many music-related conversations and references throughout the book, and would also relate to Audrey’s love for music.

COULD BE BETTER:

1) Underdeveloped characters.
Most of the characters in “Audrey, Wait!” are likable but flawed as they make mistakes and occasionally do stupid things, which in general is a sign of multidimensionality. However, I had difficulties understanding and relating to them (for example, halfway through the story I got fed up with Victoria, Audrey’s best friend, who seemed shallow and kind of sucked at being the best friend). Even though I wouldn’t call the characters in this book one-dimensional, all of them, except maybe for Audrey, could use some development. Also, the characters are funny and sarcastic (especially Audrey), but sometimes the jokes feel a little bit forced, as if the personages are trying too hard to seem cool and witty.

2) Lack of depth.
Although the story was wrapped up really nicely, I wish it had more depth or some unique message. Also, solutions to certain problems throughout the book sometimes seemed a little bit too convenient and too quick, but it actually didn’t bother me that much.

VERDICT: 3.5 out of 5

“Audrey, Wait!” by Robin Benway is a light, quick, entertaining and very enjoyable read that realistically portrays the downside of being famous. It has both teen drama and sweet romance, but lacks character development and bigger message. ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | Mar 11, 2015 |
"A first novel with a voice that sings."
added by Awesomeness1 | editPublishers Weekly (starred review)

"Anyone who's felt the slightest smidgen of sympathy for Britney Spears will enjoy this humorous, energetic, and intelligent coming-of-age story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Los Angeles Times

Muses work all day long and then at night get together and dance. --Edgar Degas
Oh, baby, here comes the sound! --My Chemical Romance, "Give 'Em Hell, Kid"
For my mother, who always says, "You have to have faith." And for my brother, who always has.
The day I broke up with my boyfriend Evan was the day he wrote the song.
Okay. Audrey? Let me introduce you to something called The Point. You are missing it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514191X, Hardcover)

California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, ?Audrey, Wait!,? a break-up song that?s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can?t hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

While trying to score a date with her cute co-worker at the Scooper Dooper, sixteen-year-old Audrey gains unwanted fame and celebrity status when her ex-boyfriend, a rock musician, records a breakup song about her that soars to the top of the Billboard charts.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,656,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible