Audrey, wait! by Robin Benway

Audrey, wait! (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Robin Benway

619None15,708 (3.95)33
Member:jen.tchida
Title:Audrey, wait!
Authors:Robin Benway
Info:New York : Razorbill, c2008.

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway (2008)

2008 (8) 2009 (6) ARC (8) bands (10) California (11) celebrity (10) chick lit (17) contemporary (5) dating (15) fame (41) family (5) fiction (34) friendship (12) high school (27) humor (18) library (6) love (9) music (71) paparazzi (6) read (10) realistic (6) realistic fiction (8) relationships (15) romance (28) teen (16) teenagers (6) to-read (15) YA (54) young adult (51) young adult fiction (12)

English (56)  French (1)  All languages (57)
When Audrey and her pop-star boyfriend Evan split, a lot of relief was taken from Audrey's life. A few weeks after the break-up, Evan writes a mega hit song about their split. This song catches the attention of people everywhere. It became on of the songs that don't get out of your head and just stick! Almost like all of the One Direction songs. Audrey's best friend helps her get through all of the Paparazzi and embarrassment, but you will have to read the book to find out if she actually escapes this horrid adventure.

I enjoyed Audrey Wait! It talked a lot about high-school drama and real life situations. It really intrigued me because I surprisingly could relate to some of the awkward situations. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading dramatic life-like stories about the teen years. ( )
  br14elmo | Nov 22, 2013 |
I thought this was a good book for teens, mostly girls aging from 14-17. It showed how quick people can be to rise to "celebrity" status over nothing and are mostly used in order for others to make a profit. I like how the main character was able to keep her sense of humor throughout the craziness. I also liked that the author did not downplay the fact that teens are not oblivious to all that is going on, but they are definitely in their own world much of the time. I also liked that the author seemed very in-touch with what teens do and see. I did NOT like the fact that the second to last page mentioned a name and then changed the name about 6 lines down, but at least it was kept the same on the next page. I am still bothered by it, which puts a slight blemish on an otherwise enjoyable, fun read. ( )
  TeamDewey | Apr 13, 2013 |
Almost gave it a 2 for the crash-landing ending. When you go from climax of rising action to ending in 4 pages, there's an issue. No story wraps up the quickly or that easily. It invalidates the investment readers make when you tack on something rushed that ties every up in a pretty bow.
That said sometimes the dialogue got tiresome. Too quippy and cutesy at times.
Outside of these two issues I liked the story's originalness. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
Audrey is just a normal 16 year, obsessed with music and going to shows. And then she breaks up with her boyfriend Evan, the night his band has an A&R guy coming to to the show. That night, the band performs a new song Even wrote about the break up, called 'Audrey, Wait!' The band gets signed, the song goes to #1 and Audrey's life goes crazy...

I picked this book up on a whim, because I flipped through it and noticed that each chapter started with a lyric from a song, and that many of the songs were songs that I really like, like 'Slow Down' by The Academy Is...

I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. It's really fun read, it goes by quickly, has just the right amount of action, and gave me this nice warm fuzzy feeling. I felt like I knew Audrey and her friends - they felt very real, and so did the moments between them.

The author obviously knows the music scene she writes about, and it's also obvious that she didn't just learn it from research. As someone who loves music and going to shows, the way Benway writes Audrey's love of and need for music rang very authentic to me. That and enjoying a scene I'm often part of were a really fun part of reading this book for me.

This was Benway's first novel, and I will definitely be picking up her next one.
  shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |

shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |
"A first novel with a voice that sings."
added by Awesomeness1 | editPublishers Weekly (starred review)

"Anyone who's felt the slightest smidgen of sympathy for Britney Spears will enjoy this humorous, energetic, and intelligent coming-of-age story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Los Angeles Times

Muses work all day long and then at night get together and dance. --Edgar Degas
Oh, baby, here comes the sound! --My Chemical Romance, "Give 'Em Hell, Kid"
For my mother, who always says, "You have to have faith." And for my brother, who always has.
The day I broke up with my boyfriend Evan was the day he wrote the song.
Okay. Audrey? Let me introduce you to something called The Point. You are missing it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514191X, Hardcover)

California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, ?Audrey, Wait!,? a break-up song that?s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can?t hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:34 -0400)

While trying to score a date with her cute co-worker at the Scooper Dooper, sixteen-year-old Audrey gains unwanted fame and celebrity status when her ex-boyfriend, a rock musician, records a breakup song about her that soars to the top of the Billboard charts.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible