Audrey, wait! by Robin Benway

Audrey, wait! (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Robin Benway

Title:Audrey, wait!
Authors:Robin Benway
Info:New York : Razorbill, c2008.

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway (2008)

English (62)  French (1)  All languages (63)
I originally thought this would just be an entertaining book about a high school girl who breaks up with her boyfriend, then becomes famous after he writes a song about her. On one level, I was right. The book was full of song lyrics, concerts, and backstage parties. It was fun to live vicariously through Audrey, but it was also amusing because she was so witty. I quickly realized that I was more invested in the book than I had thought when the drama escalated. Benway created some amazing, realistic characters that really drew me in, and even I have to admit that the climax made me tear up a little. It's a very powerful book about remaining true to yourself despite the circumstances, and I really enjoyed reading it. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I loved this book! Audrey is a regular 16 year old until she breaks up with her boyfriend, Evan. Evan is the lead singer of the Do-Gooders, a high school band. After the break up Evan writes a song that shoots to the top of the charts (all the charts). 'Audrey, wait!' catapults Audrey into the spotlight; school mates want to be her friend, struggling bands want to be inspired by her, tv, magazines and newspapers want interviews. Audrey just wants to be a normal kid. This is the story of how that is not possible, and what happens next. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |

Robin Benway’s young adult novel “Audrey, Wait!” centers around an ordinary teenager from California, Audrey Cuttler, who loves music, works at an ice cream shop and has, in her own words, an elephantine cat. But after Audrey breaks up with her self-centered boyfriend and he writes a song about it, everything changes seemingly overnight. As the song “Audrey, Wait!” races up the charts, Audrey gets caught in the spotlight and cannot even leave the house without a mob of paparazzi documenting her every step. All Audrey wants is to hang out with her friends, go to concerts and maybe score a date with a cute guy from her work, but all of that suddenly seems like an impossible dream.

1) Entertaining and enjoyable read.
“Audrey, Wait!” is a light and quick read with short chapters and nice flow. It is part a teen drama, part a sweet romantic comedy, and even though the plot is a little bit predictable, it’s nonetheless entertaining and enjoyable.

2) Realistic downside of being famous.
Although I am sure that quite a few girls would dream of being in Audrey’s shoes, Benway depicts (and does so very believably, I should add) how stressful, frustrating and exhausting it might be, especially if all the fame comes undeserved and unwanted.

3) Audrey’s parents are great!
Quite often parents in similar teenage-oriented novels are either lame and oblivious, or are being made fun of, or both, and I am sick and tired of that. For a change, Audrey’s parents are understanding, caring, supportive and kind of cool, and although Audrey doesn’t tell EVERYTHING to her parents and sometimes thinks they are unreasonable and weird, she loves and respects them, which, in my opinion, is way more realistic.

4) For music fans.
Chapter titles in “Audrey, Wait!” are song lyrics, but since I never heard most of these songs and didn’t even recognize most of the bands, this feature didn’t have any effect on me. However, I imagine that someone who is way more into music than I am would appreciate this detail as well as many music-related conversations and references throughout the book, and would also relate to Audrey’s love for music.

1) Underdeveloped characters.
Most of the characters in “Audrey, Wait!” are likable but flawed as they make mistakes and occasionally do stupid things, which in general is a sign of multidimensionality. However, I had difficulties understanding and relating to them (for example, halfway through the story I got fed up with Victoria, Audrey’s best friend, who seemed shallow and kind of sucked at being the best friend). Even though I wouldn’t call the characters in this book one-dimensional, all of them, except maybe for Audrey, could use some development. Also, the characters are funny and sarcastic (especially Audrey), but sometimes the jokes feel a little bit forced, as if the personages are trying too hard to seem cool and witty.

2) Lack of depth.
Although the story was wrapped up really nicely, I wish it had more depth or some unique message. Also, solutions to certain problems throughout the book sometimes seemed a little bit too convenient and too quick, but it actually didn’t bother me that much.

VERDICT: 3.5 out of 5

“Audrey, Wait!” by Robin Benway is a light, quick, entertaining and very enjoyable read that realistically portrays the downside of being famous. It has both teen drama and sweet romance, but lacks character development and bigger message. ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | Mar 11, 2015 |
Ever had a song written about you? Audrey Cuttler has! When Audrey breaks up with her boyfriend Evan, who is the lead singer of a band he made with his friends, she never expects him to write a break up song about her. But even more, she never expected that song to hit the Billboard charts and become a rock sensation. Now Audrey not only has to juggle the aftermath of their breakup, but she has also become famous, with paparazzi following her and fans wanting her autograph. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Dec 12, 2014 |
I read this delightful little book last week but I got so caught up in the Divergent/Insurgent mania that I’ve left the review until now.

This book was great, I have nothing positive sunshiney rays of feeling toward it. Much like the technicolor rays blasting from Audrey rockin’ out on the cover.

The story is sublimely simple: Audrey Cuttler dumps her rock-god wannabe loser boyfriend and in doing so provides the catalyst to propel him, and herself, to stardom. Her somewhat callous decision to keep walking right out the door when he calls “Audrey, Wait!” (though I get it, sometimes you gotta keep walking or the sad breakup tractor beam will pull you right back into the relationship) inspires him to write an angry scorned-lover pop rock anthem that takes their town, then college radio, then the country by storm. Suddenly all eyes are on Audrey as she is cast as either muse or heartless bitch, depending on who’s doing the talking.

Audrey is in no way enjoying being suddenly thrust into the limelight, she’s just a normal chick who broke up with a crummy boyfriend, but she tries to deal and hopes it will blow over soon. While taking advantage of an unexpected perk of her instant-celebrity, she accidentally boosts herself to infamy status and front-page tabloid fodder. Her best friend encourages her to milk her fifteen minutes for every free cosmetic and comped ticket it’s worth, but Audrey is having a hard time seeing the silver lining when she can’t even attend classes without paparazzi snapping her through the windows.

This book is absolutely solid, just a great read and one I would definitely pass on to my fame-hungry pre-teen niece. Audrey is one of the most believable sixteen-year-olds I have ever read in YA fiction: bursting with energy and charisma, in love with music and life, makes some pretty poor snap decisions that haunt her later, and is more swayed by public opinion than by her own assessment of things. The ex, Evan, is the ubiquitous sixteen-year-old boy in a band without devolving into a stereotype. It is easy to see why Audrey was dating him in the first place, and it’s equally as easy to see why she would dump him. Audrey’s co-worker at the local ice-cream shop and potential love interest James is the kind of stand-up guy teenage girls overlook every day, and it’s to her credit that Audrey recognizes her own shallowness in writing him off. Their romance develops over the course of the novel and is not without its hiccups, it makes for great reading.

One of the best things about this book is one of the more subtle aspects: Audrey’s support system. Far from suffering from disappearing-parent syndrome, Audrey’s are there every step of the way trying to navigate this unexpected situation with her. They never fly off the handle and confine her to her room, but they don’t allow her college-student levels of latitude either. Both parents listen to their daughter first no matter what the tabloid covers say, and the whole relationship is totally refreshing in a sea of absentee parents or draconian taskmasters. Equally refreshing is Audrey’s aforementioned best friend, Victoria, a true-blue bestie who sticks by Audrey even when she’s being a whiny brat and steers her toward all the things that are good for her: good guys, good times, good vibes. I was so glad the author didn’t take the “jealousy-related falling out” or “suddenly ultra-competitive user” route with this friendship (even if Audrey may have perceived some of it that way).

Another fun part of the novel is that each chapter starts with an appropriate lyric from a song, after awhile I got on Spotify and started playing them as I read. It added a little something to this energetic read.

There is nothing I would change about this book, so I hope all of you pick it up and give it a chance because it’s a fun read (with the happiest ending)! ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
"A first novel with a voice that sings."
added by Awesomeness1 | editPublishers Weekly (starred review)
"Anyone who's felt the slightest smidgen of sympathy for Britney Spears will enjoy this humorous, energetic, and intelligent coming-of-age story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Los Angeles Times
Muses work all day long and then at night get together and dance. --Edgar Degas
Oh, baby, here comes the sound! --My Chemical Romance, "Give 'Em Hell, Kid"
For my mother, who always says, "You have to have faith." And for my brother, who always has.
The day I broke up with my boyfriend Evan was the day he wrote the song.
Okay. Audrey? Let me introduce you to something called The Point. You are missing it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514191X, Hardcover)

California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, ?Audrey, Wait!,? a break-up song that?s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can?t hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

While trying to score a date with her cute co-worker at the Scooper Dooper, sixteen-year-old Audrey gains unwanted fame and celebrity status when her ex-boyfriend, a rock musician, records a breakup song about her that soars to the top of the Billboard charts.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible